GWX Control Panel (stop Windows 10 upgrades)

Started by Chumly, March 12, 2016, 10:33:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chumly

Hello Vguitarists,
I thought I might let y'all know that GWX Control Panel does an excellent job of stopping Windows 10 without using much if any resources and AFAICT no reduction in performance http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/gwx_control_panel.html
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Chumly

As a further note to Win 10 vs. Win 8.1, I bought a laptop for my wife and it came with Win 10 and so far it seems fine however I'm unlikely to use it for music purposes and I keep some machines around with both XP and Win 7 if for no other reason than legacy drivers and software.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Elantric

More perspective and tips on Windows 10
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/i-am-not-liking-windows-10.1682789/

Windows PC USB 3.0 compatible chipsets for Audio Interfaces
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8562.0

Rhcole

Not a fan of Windows 10 at all. My wife's new desktop is nothing but trouble.
I turned off updates on my other Win 7 PCs a long time ago, no pestering allowed.

Elantric

QuoteNot a fan of Windows 10 at all.  I turned off updates on my other Win 7 PCs a long time ago, no pestering allowed.

Same here - instead I run these twice a week
http://www.superantispyware.com/
https://www.malwarebytes.org/products/

Chumly

I use Malwarebytes, CCleaner, and of course Windows Defender for my non-music computers. I used to use Avast for many years, but recently it's been slowing down some of my computers somewhat, so I've removed it from some (not all) of my computers. I have never used SuperAntispyware but some reviews suggest annoying false positives.

Chumly

On one of my wife's machines,  I just tried SuperAntispyware after running Avast then Malwarebytes. SuperAntispyware did not find any issues and thus no false positives.  That's a positive sign, perhaps I'll keep it onboard for a while and see if SuperAntispyware provides addtional benefit.

Chumly

As an aside, I'm going to donate to the Chinko Project, as they have far more important things to deal with than the invasiveness of the Windows 10 upgrade.

Rhcole

Right now I'm a multi-OS kinda' guy. I run Win 7 on my desktop and laptop, Android for a phone and just got an iOS iPad. When it becomes time to upgrade my main computers I may consider running Linux. I find the "Clockwork Orange" approach to directing my attention and eyeballs offensive. This approach to selling more stuff exists between all three OS's, but Microsoft's style is particularly grating.

The only things actually keeping me on Windows are Omnisphere and a couple of webinar tools that I need for work.

Elantric

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/8/12401606/going-back-to-windows-7

Going back to Windows 7
By .Denis  on August 8, 2016 09:11 am 

It's because of the 100% HDD usage bug.

So this has been happening on both my personal laptop and desktop PC at work after upgrading to Windows 10 almost half a year ago.

I had Windows 7 Professional on my laptop and it ran just fine. But after upgrading to Win 10 and installing some updates it started driving me crazy. Same thing happened with the desktop PC after upgrading from Win 8.1.

I tried disabling every single setting or service I have seen suggested online but it still happens. Especially at Windows startup. My laptop - HP with i5 and 8 GB RAM - takes up to 15 minutes to startup so that I can use it. The PC I use at work is even more powerful and still takes about 10 minutes to "calm down".

And it's not just at startup. Seems like randomly kicking up the disk. And it's because of Windows. I have another HDD installed and it's sitting there just fine doing its job while the one Windows is installed on is going bonkers.

On my desktop PC at home I have an SSD instead and it doesn't have this issue.

I really like the look and feel of Windows 10 but it has some incredible issues. I could get over the bug which somehow hides your application and the only way to get it back is force closing it and then open it again, but the disk usage one is too much.

Some colleague managed to fix it with the 'disable notifications' settings fix but nothing works on my end.

I've seen this reported by many. Does it happen to other tribers?

Now going back to try using Windows without Cortana and virtual desktops... :|

whippinpost91850

They put 10 on my work computer on July 25th. The damn thing will not remember my printer setting for which printer to use. SuckS!!!!!!!!!! Never a problem on 7

Elantric

My work is sticking with Windows 7 for the time being

I have no need to head into Windows 10, and most Audio content creators continue to report USB driver problems with Windows 10 

http://www.theregister.co.uk/software/os/

Elantric

I'm in Thousand Oaks all week performing FCC/CE compliance testing on a new Cinema processor and my test setup requires a computer to excercize the device under test.

Last Wednesday before thanksgiving I had to test and verify all the gear was ready for the testing this week , so I have an Asus Q501 Win 10 Laptop I'm using as part of the FCC test , so I was not prepared for what I experienced this past Monday morning at the test site with no internet access to be met with a "Working on update , don't turn off computer" while Windows 10 applies important updates and a spinning beach ball and even said 100% Complete " and appeared stuck except for the animated ball that delayed my tests for 30 minutes while this "update" had to be applied , and no amount of escape key or Cntrl, Alt, Delete could bypass this operation.

If this was my live gig performance laptop and this abomination occurred  during sound check after driving 4hours to play a gig. I'd throw the computer across the room, apologize to the audience  and just play surf tunes on my guitar.

Best I can determine is that last Wednesday at work, during my preliminary setup the Asus laptop connected to the internet and in the background Windows 10 update installed the update files in the background without any prompts or user warning and no method to just say no.

Ugh!

bbob

Recently I bought a Win 10 SSD i7 lots of memory laptop dedicated solely for use with Cantabile, S-Gear, Sampletank, FTP, etc thinking I would see improvements over my several year old Win 8 non SSD i5 laptop.  Did all the performance tweaks recommended by the experts.

I was wrong.  Pops and clicks, CPU meter running 80 to 110%.  :o

I'm back to using the Win 8 machine.  CPU meter running 25 - 40%

Elantric

fuzzfactory

i have installed win 10 PRO a few months back on my new laptop...did all the tweeks including disabling auto updates ( yes it can be done ) and have not had a single issue what so ever...boots up super fast and hasn't crashed once...running ableton 9.6 64 bit....
as some of you may know i am not "nice" to my laptops and run them very hard and in demanding situations ...i was reluctant to go with win 10 PRO but honestly i couldn't be happier ...

just saying  :)

alexmcginness

Heres a take on Windows upgrades. Back when XP first came out I upgraded right away. I spent the next two years fiddlin and fartin around with it trying to get software and drivers working. It wasnt till SP2 came along that everything settled down. I never upgraded after that until W7 was out for a while and it was about 6 months after Microsoft no longer supported XP. I would still be using XP if it wasnt for the fact that some of my plugins no longer ran on XP, so I did the upgrade to W7 SP1 and I went to a 64 bit system. It was relatively painless as the drivers for my hardware had been out for a while and W7 had been tweaked with the service pack.
   On a lot of music forums I read countless posts of folk moaning and complaining that the new Windows OS has issues. WHY????? do musos switch to the latest OS when theres a documented history of issues with music production on all new Microsoft OS's when they first come out. IMO you dont need the new OS if what you have is working fine. The simple answer is. dont upgrade until you need to. Wait until theres a service pack or two or when the apps you wanna use wont run on your current system. Before you buy a new machine, check to see if theres drivers for the older OS you know will run your software. Or....switch when the OS is new and prepare to start moaning all over again. Your choice. Every time I see people suffering at the hands of the latest OS , I have little sympathy for that kind of self abuse now. Why beat yourself up? I did it once. Ill never do it again. Why destroy a working system for one that just generates frustration and headaches?
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Elantric

But it remains a crap shoot if you get lucky and have success with most brand new Windows machines that no longer have USB 2.0 ports

Most USB 3.0 ports will yield problems for  Roland/ Boss USB Audio / MIDI devices

alexmcginness

Quote from: Elantric on December 05, 2016, 09:45:37 AM
But it remains a crap shoot if you get lucky and have success with most brand new Windows machines that no longer have USB 2.0 ports

Most USB 3.0 ports will yield problems for  Roland/ Boss USB Audio / MIDI devices

Just buy a USB 2.0 card and do it soon.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Elantric

QuoteJust buy a USB 2.0 card and do it soon.
Not possible if all you use is laptops

I typically only use laptops for past 7 years - as I'm too mobile

My "tower PC" is my work 2009 Dell Optiplex 980 with Win7

reminds me I have a 2008 Mac Pro at home-  i need to power up sometime

most of the time at home I use a 2011 iMac 27" or my laptops (2014 Asus Q551N Win8.1, 2011 Macbook Pro 17"

Mrchevy

My recording desktop computer runs XP PRO, my DAW is Sonar home studio 6, i use an Edirol UA25 for the interface. I have done 24 track recordings with it using lots of effects. I never have any problems with it at all. Does what I need it to and then some so why change. It works so I don't care that Microsoft no longer supports XP. My windows 8 and 10 stuff......nothing but a pain in the arse. I have no need to work with newer OP system or DAW because the old stuff just works. I have enough troubles with 8 and 10 just keeping my every day stuff working. Some day I will probably have to switch but for right now when it comes to recording, i spend my time recording, not working out bugs.     But I digress  ;)
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones