Another new member, hi and questions

Started by luthierwnc, July 13, 2014, 04:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luthierwnc

Hi All,

I am working on an ergonomic guitar for myself and am relatively new to this technology.  As a newb I'll apologize in advance for protocol breaches and try to get right into the topics.  I have done a lot of research but there comes a point where it helps for someone to say, "Here's what I'd do."

To start with, I've been building guitars and amps for about 30 years.  That includes about one of everything although I've mostly built classical guitars and one-off solid-bodies.  I have built a couple instruments (one classical and one Steinberger-esque) where the buyers wanted RMC piezo saddles. The latter had an on-board preamp.  Both required some fairly precise machining.  Other than making sure they worked, I haven't played them myself.

I've actually got two ergos going.  One is a baritone that will have a pair of Alumitones.  The other is a short Martin scale that will have a pair of WCR humbuckers on the passive side.  That is the one I want the more advanced electronics for.  I began building them a couple years ago but starting a new business has absorbed all my time since.  With a little breathing room they are coming off the pegs in the shop.  If I can figure out how to post them, there will be two pics of the smaller one.  It is ready for final sanding but I purposely didn't drill or rout anything beyond a basic cavity until I got the electronics figured out.  Except for a central core about 3.5" wide the instrument is basically hollow so enlarging the cavity or adding others isn't a problem.

What I'd like to do is run this through a fairly basic synth and also be able to auto-transpose what I'm playing.  I see this more for writing and recording than as a live rig.  I've got plenty of those and am not using any of them lately.  The ergonomic design is because the wrist isn't what it used to be and I practice sitting down anyway.  Types of music for this guitar would range from traditional rock to bordering on jazz.  No metal, no dance, as little country as is legal.  Just holding the guitar makes you want to learn the hook for "Long Distance Runaround".  The shop hasn't been used much lately either but I can fabricate almost anything out of wood, some light metal fabrication ability and can also etch basic boards.  So, more building chops than electronic know-how.

The first issue is whether I should use piezos or a hex GT-3 type pickup.  I haven't purchased the bridge yet.  The Schaller-Hannes looks very nice as a bridge but I'm not sure it does what I want sonically.  The GT-kit was my first line of inquiry.  If I go that way, I still need a bridge.  BTW, the instrument in the picture is set up for a 1/2" (Strat) saddle height for D/G but I can rout/sand to adjust that.  If possible, I'd like to keep the fingerboard parallel with the top of the body but that is something that could be altered slightly too if I can find the right bridge.  A top-loader is preferable but not essential.

Next, depending on which input system I use, what are the rest of the signal chain components you like?  Again, basic is fine but this isn't a budget project.  If it makes sense, I'll get it.  I don't know how many more personal guitars I can justify so it may as well be right.

Thanks for reading.  If there are any threads that have covered this within a couple years of product offerings, just point me there.  Cheers, Skip

papabuss

Skip,
welcome to the forum. :)
THX for introducing yourself.
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)