New nerd joining ya

Started by neuromancer, May 25, 2014, 01:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neuromancer

Hey hey folks from the great green state of Washington!  8) So I just turned 40 a couple weeks ago & now pseudo-retired. I'm about to be diving into the world of synth guitar with a GR55 for the first time. I guess some boring history? I was born & raised in Arkansas until 1995  :'(  but got outta there asap in 95. I got my first guitar in 8th grade in 1988 to basically learn Slayer & Metallica type riffs to rebel against anything mainstream (just to simply play guitar at all during that era of pop music was rebellious in a way... yeah, I'm fairly rebellious by nature) back up a bit: in 5th-6th grade when my music interests really took hold, my also rebellious sister turned me on to studio albums of Ozzy, Iron Maiden, Dio, Hendrix, T-Rex, Zeppelin, Janice, GD (Grateful Dead), Doors, etc etc. Then real metal took over like the Slayer/Coroner/Nuclear Assault, etc. Then when I grew outta metal, & after years before only hearing GD albums & liking most of it but didn't think anything too special about them, once I grasped the scope & depth/difference of live Grateful Dead shows vs their albums from taper friends giving me copies of live shows, I realized they're by & far very special & unlike any other band in this regard because they explore & allow & demand soooooo much room for each other to veer I became a taper myself. I learned what they are REALLY about... I tell ya... those super high energy live shows are unmatched to me. It's truly remarkable once you grasp the quality of it all & just how amazing Garcia was if improvising is your thing. I can't think of a weirder band in that a lot of the albums or tracks kind of sound like over produced candy-store music, but a live version is so completely blow your socks off baddass different... Jerry once said "anyone can get in a studio & build a ship in a bottle, but live is like a rowboat on the ocean." So true. In fact it's Garcia's crazy experimental MIDI guitar work from 80's shows that first introduced me to synth guitar as a posibility. He was using it live in front of hundreds of thousands of people each week during those high-latency days. But he was always pushing the envelope (filter)... ok sorry. So anyway, sorry... enuff fanboy stuff... in Jan. 95 I went to Orlando to attend the Full Sail geekout school. I did the "supercourse" thing & received 2 degree's: one in Audio Engineering & another in Digital Media. Unfortunately my sister was killed in OKC bombing during this time & that's shaped a lot of my worldview, hence I really enjoy the small stuff in life & tried to get even more into audio.  :-\   I stuck it out & graduated in Jan of 97, moved up here to the Northwest & will never live anywhere else. I always wanted to just have fun in life & not take it too seriously but strict upbringing, societies expectations blah blah blah. So I busted my butt bigtime the last 17 years, worked very hard, had gotten a great deal on a house, stayed focused & paid it off in 12 years at 40!! I just lucked out I guess.  :P It feels strange but here I am with free time, about to delve into midi land ankle-deep, but head first!  ;D  I'm very excited to be joining here too. Very cool board. Well tbh, I've been lurking on here for a couple months reading & reading filling my head with all the great info abound about the GR55 & just midi-guitar in general. Actually as of this writing I'm waiting for my first synth guitar, a Carvin SH65, whose 2-month build time is due this Tuesday (5/27/14). When it arrives I'll post some pics & such. I have a GR55 that I've had a month but can't use yet as well as a bunch of other cool new stuff I bought after selling my old gear. But all this talk about the hissy graphtech needing the RMC harmonic board fix thing & overall bad reviews are making me kind of nervous. Also I ordered a Carvin 13-pin cable with the guitar instead of getting a Roland one. I hope it's good. Made in USA I assume like other Carvin gear?  So now my main creative musical focus is going to be ambient spacey guitar stuff since I always wanted to go that route & never had time. Also, being too busy I never practiced so I'm a honestly a hack player without real discipline. I'll never play out live & I'm just a Madison Square Bedroom headliner that needs a creative outlet. Well I'm off to read more tips/info...  catch ya'll on here somewhere!
It's time to move on to the next step in the psychedelic revolution. We've reached a certain point, but we're not moving any more. - Ken Kesey

mbenigni

QuoteSo I busted my butt bigtime the last 17 years, worked very hard, had gotten a great deal on a house, stayed focused & paid it off in 12 years at 40!! I just lucked out I guess.  :P It feels strange but here I am with free time, about to delve into midi land ankle-deep, but head first!

Way to go!  I'll take time over money any day.  Alas, I've got another 15 years on my mortgage...