KMI SoftStep Foot Controller

Started by vanceg, October 28, 2010, 01:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macciza

@Vurnt99
Saw a picture of VR's (your?) setup for a European Tour recently sand it looked massive! Lot of stuff there, saw the VG99, the SoftStep and 12Step, multiple other pedals
Absolutely huge setup . . . Have you tried getting the Ribbon Controller mounted on your guitar? I did and it is really awesome, opens up whole new worlds . .
My next stage is to get the DBeam setup on the guitar as well . . .
Love your work and thanks for all the tips
Cheers
MM
'70s Strat, Brian Moore iM, VG-8, VG-99, FC-300, VL-70m, StringPort, SoftStep, Sentient6, iMac QC i7 27".

shawnb

Thanks much!

I take a lot of pride in how quiet my rig is - despite having so much processing going on.  Didn't want to introduce some new random source.   I use a couple of EBTech HumX today.

Still thinking my next rig thru.  I'm a bit overboard at the moment...  I'm hoping the KMI will help me simplify things.   
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Elantric

Just an update - I actually own both the Softstep and 12 step and a MIDI Expander
I was an early adopter and purchased both upon release. (Softstep in 2011, 12 step in 2012)

I recently tried to use the Softstep, but its darn near impossible to use with any rig due to the default EL back lighting system that generates massive EMI noise. So you must disable this feature, which then defeats much of the live gig visual appeal of the Softstep.

Also my KMI MIDI Expander is defective, (Zero MIDI I/O activity)   contacted KMI Support last week - so far 5 days later,  no response.

All the Editors for both products rely on a sluggish runtime MAX MSP library and take up to 90 seconds of waiting before anything wakes up and makes a connection for editing

Makes me wish Logidy made a 12 button foot controller.
http://logidy.com/?pid=1

Elantric

Just an update - I actually own both the Softstep and 12 step and a MIDI Expander
I was an early adopter and purchased both upon release. (Softstep in 2011, 12 step in 2012)

I recently tried to use the Softstep, but its darn near impossible to use with any rig due to the default EL back lighting system that generates massive EMI noise. So you must disable this feature, which then defeats much of the live gig visual appeal of the Softstep.

Also my KMI MIDI Expander is defective, (Zero MIDI I/O activity)   contacted KMI Support last week - so far 5 days later,  no response.

All the Editors for both products rely on a sluggish runtime MAX MSP library and take up to 90 seconds of waiting before anything wakes up and makes a connection for editing

Makes me wish Logidy made a 12 button foot controller.
http://logidy.com/?pid=1

==

Finally got a replacement KMI MIDI Expander, but its actually my KMI SoftStep that has a defect/problem - does not recognize nor work with the  KMI MIDI Expander.

So I contacted KMI, and they worked out a replacement solution for me.   

LPHovercraft

Huh - I don't think I've run into the EMI issue with my unit. I have an expander unit and will try it with a few different scenarios to see if I have the same findings.
Houston Haynes - LPHovercraft

Elantric

With mine - just powering the Softstep "ON" nearby any portion of my Audio chain, radiates so much &&*&^% noise i find it surprising anyone can actually use these KMI products in a professional environment.

LPHovercraft

That's really interesting - I got that kind of garbage leak when running USB into the VG-99. The VB-99 seemed to be immune. I planned on going to MIDI for everything - expecting the opto-coupler to eliminate any ground loop. I use the SPDIF outs to a Roland M-1000 digital mixer. But occasionally using 1/4" outs into my MOTU interface I've not heard any hashing that wasn't attributable to the USB ground loop. I'll definitely look into it further this weekend.

Elantric

In my situation, I can have a separate Guitar with GK-3 and VG-99 powered on, then 4 feet away have a separate iPad +CCK + KMI Sofstep (powered by a separate +5V@ 2Amp power adapter via the KMI MIDI Expander.

Anytime i power up the KMI Softstep with the default EL backlight "on" - the radiated EMF Noise from the SoftStep penetrates my VG-99 Audio with very perceptible noise injected into anything nearby that amplifies an audio signal chain. No physical electrical connection required!

For me, the best use of the Softstep is to use it as an EMF  Noise Generator, to test copper shielding installations on other guitars.

EDIT -I finally got a email from KMI Customer Support, and i will post my progress.

Elantric

Honestly, My KMI Softstep and MIDI Expander have been in storage since I purchased Both new

Finally got around to using it this past week, and the MIDi Expander is dead. KMI Support says Warranty has long expired so I'm out of luck .

I ended up ordering a 2nd KMI MIDI Expander from AMS, but it shipped from a warehouse in New Jersey instead of Reno,NV  - ;(

When it arrives next week  I'll use it to debug the broken one I already own.

Word to the wise - be sure to test all gear you acquire immediately after purchase.   

LPHovercraft

Really interesting - you know - maybe not directly related to your issue - I've always wondered about these un-grounded devices and the possibility of a 'virtual ground' wreaking havoc on things. My curiosity is piqued - but it's another few hours before I can go home and check things out. I originally bought my MIDI Expander with my QuNeo, but I almost always have it directly attached to my laptop with a tiny/short USB cable. In most cases I've also attached my SoftStep via USB - both for programming and ease of use. I've somewhat dreaded the idea of having to go through and re-articulate the settings to 'talk' to each device on a discrete MIDI channel, instead of the 'lazy' way of just pointing the control to the same MIDI channel on a new USB output port. I suppose it's time to buck up and do the heavy lifting. :)

Elantric

Finally got a replacement KMI MIDI Expander, but its actually my KMI SoftStep that has a defect/problem - does not recognize nor work with the  KMI MIDI Expander.

So I contacted KMI, and they worked out a replacement solution for me.   

Elantric

KMI has been out of stock with Softstep, but I just heard my replacement will arrive next week. They do not repair these, and since my warranty had expired they opted to sell me a new one at substantial discount to replace the nonfunctional one I purchased back in 2011. (See above)

Ringleader

I have been working on building an iPad based pedalboard rig with a Zoom G3, KMI Softstep, Line 6 G30 wireless, TC Helicon VoiceLive Play GTX (for vocals only), powered USB hub, you get the idea. I will say that in all my years of configuring pedalboards, I have never experienced a piece of gear that was as prone to signal/grounding noise as the Softstep when using magnetic guitar pickups. Disabling the backlighting is an absolute must, and even after that, I was getting all kinds of strange grounding/line interference noises whenever the Softstep was plugged in.

After literally several weeks of putzing around with this thing and experimenting with every possible option of powering/ground lift options (that would fit on my Pedaltrain Mini board), I ended up getting a couple of these Godlyke Ground Hound and Iso-Pump gadgets for my pedals and was finally able to use the Softstep without bathing in a pool of digital noise. Expensive little contraptions but they do work and my signal chain is finally clean so I sucked it up. What a PITA that whole project was but now that it FINALLY works - it is turning out to be a great little rig. But I'd never want to go through that headache again.

What is even more badass is that I was able to figure out a way to run the whole shebang off of a single battery supply! This includes 12v, 9v, and 5v USB with various polarities and both positve and negative grounding and it is QUIET! So it is possible to get a Softstep rig to be quiet with some determination and perseverance. And keep in mind that there is the possibility that you might get lucky and it will be quiet from the get-go depending on what you are connecting with it. I don't have that kind of luck, apparently. :-) I'll post a pic of my setup once I have sorted out the spaghetti of wires that it currently is.

http://www.godlyke.com/power-all/godlyke-power-all-accessories/iso-pump-voltage-converter
http://www.godlyke.com/power-all/godlyke-power-all-accessories/ground-hound-ground-isolator

jwhitcomb3

KMI Softstep: noise problem, software problem, ergonomics problem, customer service attitude problem...

Returned the unit to Sweetwater. No problem!

Seriously, the Softstep was full of potential but was delivered to market as what looked like a grad-school project format rather than a finished, tested and documented product. The Behringer FCB1010 is more powerful and flexible, partciularly with the UNO chip.

Elantric

KMI Announces New SoftStep Editors and Firmware
Just in time for the Holidays, so you have the perfect excuse to stay in the studio all week!

The new editors feature 8 times faster load time using 500 MB less memory. A new UI makes the Editor easier to use and covers 95% of most user needs. The Advanced Editor is similarly improved providing more features for Hosted and Standalone modes.

New firmware addresses numerous requests and bug fixes including better MSB support for bank change, bend and improved latching performance.

Beta versions for Mac will be available in January, with full releases including Windows support scheduled for end of Q1. To sign up for Beta, please visit www.keithmcmillen.com/softstep/beta

Happy Holidays!
-Team KMI

cell7

im looking forward to having a play with this. Looks like it fixes a bunch of the usability issues of the current editors.

Elantric

Keith McMillen Instruments Announces SoftStep 2

BERKELEY, California – January 20, 2014 – KMI announces the release of SoftStep 2, the next incarnation of its wildly popular programmable foot controller. Everything you ever knew about foot controllers is about to change... again! After carefully listening to our users, KMI has refined the SoftStep experience from the ground up.

SoftStep 2 hardware updates (exclusive to SoftStep 2):
New cruciform controller pads for improved playability
Brighter LED backlighting
State recall in Standalone mode
Double memory and CPU clock speed
New case design
User tables
Same reliability... now wine and spirit proof!
New Editor & Firmware features (compatible with SoftStep & SoftStep 2):
8 times faster load time using 500 MB less memory
Foot On as a source for all corners of the Nav Pad
Advanced Key Lockout Modes
Ability to switch between using 0-127 and 1-128 values
MSB & LSB pitch bend support
Settable MSB & LSB for bank messages
Pressure: Each key is pressure sensitive for expressive control
Direction: Translate up/down, left/right movements into control values on improved control pads
Portable: Weighs 1.25 pounds, stands <1" at its tallest, and is USB powered
Deep: Up to 6 Note, CC, Pitch Bend, Program, MMC, or OSC messages per key
Rugged: Elastomeric skin and a carbon fiber backing... "It's beer-proof!"
Flashy: 4-character LED display, 10 dual-color key LEDs, and LED underglow
Stage Control: Ableton Live, Traktor, Guitar Rig, Amplitube, MainStage, Loopers and more
Studio Control: Activate transport and track selects hands free
Hardware Control: Synths, keyboards, and FX units all under control
Beyond Sound: Control lighting, video effects, robotics, pyrotechnics...
Class Compliant: Works with Mac OS, Windows, Linux, iOS and Android

cell7

Functionally this looks good, but i gotta say their visual design is a bit... early Nineties? Reminds me of those ART sgx2000 boxes for some reason.

Elantric

Since each foot switch provides 4 axis tilt to send separate  MIDI CC# data depending on which direction each switch is pressed, I suspect the new design promotes those functions better than the old version.

Toby Krebs

I worked in advertising for about 15 years and so I really like the way they refer to its predecessor as being "wildly popular".

vanceg

I'll want to get one of these for sure.  Not sure what to do with the three softsteps I have now ;-)  I love them and use em all the time!

Vance

GovernorSilver

I recall complaints about not being able to utilize the directional pressure capability if one was wearing shoes.  Time will tell if this new cruciform design fixes that problem.

I'd been thinking of getting a 12 Step as a lighter-weight (than my FC-300) foot controller for my Octatrack, but Softstep 2 might make me reconsider.

Elantric

QuoteI recall complaints about not being able to utilize the directional pressure capability if one was wearing shoes.  Time will tell if this new cruciform design fixes that problem.

New Design of SoftStep II does correct this problem

QuoteI'd been thinking of getting a 12 Step as a lighter-weight (than my FC-300) foot controller for my Octatrack, but Softstep 2 might make me reconsider.

Before you place an order - Read the Owners manual for both 12 step and Softsep - each performs separate functions, and can not be swapped one for one.

KMI  12 step = focuses on MIDI Note  on/ off messages
KMI SoftstepII = focuses on MIDI CC# and Patch change messages

GovernorSilver

Quote from: Elantric on January 28, 2014, 01:13:30 PM
New Design of SoftStep II does correct this problem

Before you place an order - Read the Owners manual for both 12 step and Softsep - each performs separate functions, and can not be swapped one for one , and do the same things.   

KMI  12 step = focuses on MIDI Note  on/ off messages
KMI SoftstepII = focuses on MIDI CC# and Patch change messages

Octatrack receives MIDI Note Number as well as CC, so either KMI pedal would work with Octatrack.

jassy

Im planning to buy a Softstep 1 (its 100€ cheaper than the Softstep 2 and I dont see much advantage to get the version 2 other than the shape of the buttons), but I have some doubts about the connectivity so I hope someone can help to clear it.
Being the sofstep 1 a midi class compliant device, it works with the Kenton Midi USB host or the Iconnectmidi4+ in order to send midi to synths/other devices or the only way is to use the softstep midi expander?