VG-99 + GR-30 - Anyone Managed to Record External Synth Sounds?

Started by ConstruKction, November 17, 2015, 02:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ConstruKction

As the title says, for a couple of weeks now, I--and my sound engineer friend--cannot figure out how to record the sounds of the GR-30 while using VG-99 & Cubase.

The setup is laid out as following:

VG-99 connected via USB to PC. The PC is running Cubase Elements 8 on Windows 8.1.

VG-99 MIDI IN -> GR-30 MIDI OUT.
VG-99 MIDI OUT -> GR-30 MIDI IN.

I made sure that every device is on the same channel, and that the MIDI channel of the MIDI track in Cubase is the same, too.

What I am getting:
MIDI information and GR-30 sound out of my amplifier, probably sent by the VG-99 to the PC, however, once I playback the MIDI track in Cubase, the track is completely silent; the GR-30 is not being used by Cubase to produce sound.

What am I striving for?
I'd like to be able to record the internal sounds of GR-30 and enjoy its fantastic sounds instead of using the MIDI information to trigger softsynths (which I don't even own).

What we've tried so far:
In the MIDI options of the VG-99, I toyed around with the routing, and managed to get Cubase to use the GR-30 for producing sound using the MIDI information! However, once I export an audio mixdown, everything is silent!

My friend also tried to do some magic with adding "buses", he basically tried to route the MIDI track to a regular audio track in Cubase, but he didn't quite succeed.

So, has anyone managed to record the sounds of external synthesizers using the VG-99 as an interface?

admin

To record VG-99 + GR-30 Live performance in stereo You will need a separate audio interface for your computer, with at least  4 line level audio inputs - these will take two audio outputs from the  VG-99, and another two from the GR-30 = 4 Audio Inputs 

For the price / performance   - I like the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 
http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-18i20

Open box $339
http://www.proaudiostar.com/focusrite-scarlett-18i20.html

Also for lowest latency - skip the MIDI connections and instead get a Roland US-20 A/B/Y GK13 router / selector ( or third party equivalent) - to allow one guitar with 13 pin pickup to feed both VG-99  and GR-30 at same time from their GK 13 pin inputs.

Find all GK13 router / selectors  here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=174.0

ConstruKction

Hi, thank you for your response!

From how I understood it by reading your post, it seems as though all you're doing is just simply putting another interface between the VG-99 and the PC.

I'm by no means an experienced user on this subject, but doesn't it seem a little bit ambiguous given the fact that VG-99 already is a recording interface?

If that is the case, then what's stopping it from recording the GR-30?  ???

sixeight

QuoteIf that is the case, then what's stopping it from recording the GR-30?  ???

The audio from the GR-30 is not being fed back into the VG-99! So you will need an audio interface to get the audio from the GR-30 into your computer.

Elantric

The audio from the GR-30 is not being fed back into the VG-99! So you will need an audio interface to get the audio from the GR-30 into your computer.

Correct = and there is only the GK 13 pin input to get audio into the VG-99.

ConstruKction

OK, I think it starts to make sense to me now.

Basically, I require an audio interface solely for the purpose of registering audio, not an interface that registers audio and serves as my sound module (VG-99).

Thanks guys, I'll look into the Focusrite soonish.

ConstruKction

Hi there! Just a quick update.

Christmas has come so I went for the Scarlett 6i6 and everything seems to be working fine. Thanks again for the fantastic advice; you guys never let people down.

I still cannot fathom how beautiful and lush the sounds of a GR-30 are. I can certainly see why it used to cost over 600 GBP back in the day.