VG-99 - Synth Drums and Percussion

Started by rolandvg99, May 22, 2013, 12:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rolandvg99

OK, here it comes. Tweaked and hopefully ready. Played with mutes for percussive and fretted for sustaining notes like open Hi-hat. Demo is played live without overdubs with fretting hand thumb muting in 2nd fret on the low E. Index mutes 1 fret on the A for the Hi-hat/Snare top. Rest of the fingers mutes 3rd fret on the reminding strings. Fret the 1st on the A-string top play open Hi-hat. "Cross stick"  is played on the G and B string up around the 8th fret. Tweak, experiment and have fun.  8)

Added a tweaked set and BD Junglebells + BD Jinglebourine

More patches added in this reply: Synth drums and percussion part 2

Set sounds:
Groovy Drums: E6=BD, A5=Hats, D4=Snare. A5-E1="Clash" when FC-300 CTL2 is depressed. Use EXP2 for som tom-ish action on the E6 string. FC-300 CTL1 adds some slap back delay to CH A when depressed. Tip: In the "Virtua March VG-99" I use B 2nd fret on A5 for the snare. Sustain note for ghost notes.
Full set: E6=BD, A5-D4=Hats/Cymbals, G3-E1=Snare. Use FC-300 CTL1 to pitch BD to Hi-tom, CTL2 for low.
BD SnaHat 1,2, 3: E6=BD, A5-D4=Hats/Cymbals, G3-E1=Snare
BD Jungebells: E6=BD, A5-E1=Jingle in the jungle, works good with powercords, but it's not mandatory.
BD Jinglebourine and Tambourine: E6=BD, A5-E1=Lo-fi and wrecked half-moon, works good with powercords, but it's not mandatory.
MJ Clap It!: E6=BD, A5-E1 Claps. Use muting for best/good results.
Click Clack: Use A5 muted in the 2nd fret for good results. FC-300 CTL switches between Click and Clack. Use EXP1 and 2 to find your click-clack. EXP1=pitch, EXP=2 resonant filter.

Tip: Creative muting is what brings these patches to life.

These come with a warning: High powered, low pitched burps can occur when changing between patches. Probably because of the severe EQ and self oscillation.

8)

Demos using these patches:
Hi-Fi Drum Demo
Blues drummer boy and his band after a few beers...
Groovy Drums
Virtua March VG-99
Drum Demo
Loopy HD VG-99
Drum & Bass Demo
Beat Boxy Lady
Dead Mouse by Roland VG-99
Chime on you crazy Jazz-man
Old Tape Demo
All perc'ed out
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

Smash

This word is all too often overused these days but this case it is totally applicable in it's fullest sense. AWESOME

Awesome patch. Awesome demo. With this kind of creativity you should be working for Roland - it's that simple.

rolandvg99

Quote from: Smash on May 22, 2013, 04:10:34 AM
This word is all too often overused these days but this case it is totally applicable in it's fullest sense. AWESOME

Awesome patch. Awesome demo. With this kind of creativity you should be working for Roland - it's that simple.

"Blush" Thx.  :)

aliensporebomb

Yeah, this is "a new kind of nuts".  Given the VG-99 doesn't have any kind of sampled percussion in the VG-99 the fact that this totally sounds like something out of Ableton Live with an EMU SP-12 sampling percussion unit - it makes me laugh.  Roland had no idea what a big fish they had on the line when they pushed the VG-99 out the door.

Bravo to your programming skills.  I gotta get on the stick and come up with something crazy but I suspect this will be extremely hard to top.  Your "Loopy VG-99" is darned catchy. 

Lets see: the VG-99 can sound like drums, bass, keyboards, horns and last but not least various guitars and other stringed instruments.  Yeah. Cool.

I can't WAIT to use this during one of my live looped concerts.  They're used to it not having any kind of percussion.   This will be fun!

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

rolandvg99

Had a great deal of fun playing around with this and think I'll do a few songs using this next time I'm performing live as well. Synthetic, but still pretty organic due to the fantastic playability of the VG-99.

mbenigni

I was skeptical right up until this version, but THIS is awesome!  You've nailed a brushes feel that could sit perfectly well in some kind of an Avant-Jazz ensemble.  I love the way some of the oscillations sound like a detuned, ringing bottom head on a floor tom (or what would be the audience-facing head of a kick.)  Really cool; great performance, too.

Sad that the potential of the VG99 is only apparent to about a dozen guitarists on the entire planet. 

rolandvg99

New patches posted in the first message. Enjoy.

aliensporebomb

rolandvg99

Two more patches added:

BD & SnaHat 2 + BD Tambourine

rolandvg99

Think I found a way to make tom sounds while maintaing bass drum, snare and cymbals.. Sacrifice the Mod 1 on Channel B for a pedal bend and place it straight before M2 in the chain. Use an Expression pedal for control. Will post a patch when I've tweaked and tested.

maxdaddy

Those 'hi-hat' trills are crazy!!

rolandvg99

Thx MaxD.
New patch called "Full set" added.

rolandvg99

Added two more patches: MJ Clap It! and Click Clack.

Demo of most perch sounds in this loop build-up: All perc'ed out

rolandvg99

Added Groovy Drums patch and demo.
Groovy Drums

The bass drum and snare of this patch is also used in this recording:
Virtua March VG-99

rolandvg99

Hi-Fi Drum Demo using 3 patches: Bass Drum, Hat S Custom and Cowbell.
Bass Drum can be "tuned" using F1. Played using E6 string.
Hat S Custom uses F1 for overall tuning, F2 for top skin sustain, F3 for top skin tuning, F4 for Snare body volume, F5 for hi-hat volume, F6 for snare string level. Other controls: FC-300 CTL 1 turns snare strings on/off, FC-300 EXP 1 Hi-hat/Snare string sustain. Played using A5 for hi-hats and D4 for snare.
Cowbell uses F1 for fine tuning and F2 for coarse tuning. Played using A5.

Hi-Fi Drum Demo

papabuss

FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

aliensporebomb

I'm really loving these - I started out as a drummer and it seems to be getting more natural to play drums using the "slap bass method" as time goes on. 

Listen:
https://soundcloud.com/aliensporebomb/vg-99-patch-demo-various-drum

I still think Roland would freak out if they heard these.  I've added a little reverb to the drums to make it sound more like a drumkit in a room but that's post-processing.

I was recording these drum parts live with no loops - that's just me playing - way too much fun.

rolandvg99

I'm glad you like them and hope you'll enjoy playing them as much as I like making them. There are many more nuances to explore. Still struggle to make an ok crash/ride cymbal. Toms are also difficult, but I think I'm closing in.

If one looks at my first creations and compare to the later ones, one will notice that I've changed some stuff around and need less EQ than in the first ones. The latest ones also use some more automation to simulate pitch rise/fall and various sustaining features related to the drum sound.

The Hat S Custom tries to simulate the sound of the top, bottom and shell of the drum using various pitch shifters and some ring mod. Snare strings plus pitch of the upper and lower skins are also adjustable as well as dampening. Sadly needed to remove the bass drum from the patch to achieve all this.

G

oh wow, i missed all these updates!  these drums are HAPPENIN!

do you have that brilliant pwm organ patch from the "blues drummer boy" up anywhere?

rolandvg99

Forgot about that PWM Organ. Uploading ASAP.  8)

rolandvg99

Added a hand drum patch in the "Acoustic" section.

Hand drums using COSM Acoustic Vari

ForestCat

yes, I know this is a two year old thread, but I just found, and have to say...  Brilliant.  Just Brilliant.  Thanks for expanding the possible.

Elantric

There's a lot of buried treasure in the patch exchange areas of the forum

ForestCat

No doubt!  These percussion patches are SO outside the box.  If I just heard them outside this forum, etc., I honestly would not believe it was modeled/processed guitar.  Incredible.

Headless68

I agree I had a 99 for several years previously and didn't come across this capability which is awesome

Thanks for sharing these patches - clearly the labour of many happy hours of tweeking :-)

Headless