Bill Ruppert's VG-99 Tips

Started by admin, January 24, 2010, 06:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Quote    Bill, do we have the chance to listen to something?

I hate to harp on about VGuitarforums members continually making these requests to Bill Ruppert to supply samples of his VG-99 work.

Please refrain from making these requests. For several reasons such requests fall under the Digital Rights Copyright act.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act
Remember these important facts:

* Bill Ruppert is a card holding AFL/CIO Union Session Player, hired to supply his performances to Copyrighted work.

* Copyrighted work belongs to the Copyright owner   

So when Bill offers that "I just did a thing for Toyota today using the (VG-99) mag input on many tracks", please realize this translates to Bill Ruppert used his VG-99 on a recent union recording session for major Radio/TV spots for Toyota Motor Corp.

http://www.toyota-global.com/

Even though Bill performed on these tracks for Toyota, he does NOT hold any authority to post the resulting audio tracks here.
In fact, if the timing is wrong, this would probably violate his union contract and get him into big trouble with both Toyota and the Chicago advertising agency who hired him. Bill may have performed on a dozen versions of the same commercial, but the production company and Toyota management ultimately retain the right to decide which version gets the final "OK"for final release. The other non used versions still remain property of Toyota.   

We remain honored to have a large population of working professionals participating here at VGuitarforums, please respect their efforts and privacy on sharing their work.
In this era of DRM, we MUST respect the rights of copyright owners , else we might find ourselves in big trouble.

The VG-99 is a wonderful tool in the right hands, and this is most evident in the wonderful sounds Bill Ruppert is able to achieve with VG-99.

Bill Ruppert is a Chicago based session player. with incredible chops, and ears!
He used the VG-99 on dozens of records from Phil Collins to Disney movies as well as 1000,s of radio and TV commercials here in the
states and world wide.

To quote Bill:

"With these VG-99 clips I was hoping that some users would find them
exciting and start to dig into the programing aspect of the VG-99.

. . as far as posting patches I wanted to write and explain why I don't.
I personally do not use any factory patches or patches from any one else.
I start with a blank canvas as it leads me to many cool things I would never have found.
To me, the use of  posted patches leads to a plug and play musician.
It short cuts the creative process of this great new instrument.
That is what was SO bad for Synths in the 1980's.
Every DX-7 sounded the same and you could hear it on every record.
We use to pick them out on records and even know the patch name the guy used!"

The secret to emulating traditional orchestral sounds on the VG-99  - is understanding how each instrument reacts: the scales employed, the limitations of each instrument, and the voice modality of the target instrument.

You do not punch up a VG-99 horn patch and play  'smoke on the water", or Black Sabbath "IronMan"  and expect it to sound like Miles Davis.

"I posted short clips to give people an idea of some things the 99 can do.
It was my hope it would encourage people to dig into the instrument and find new things.
Be creative not just a user.
Anyway that in a nut shell why I do not post patches.
Hope you understand

Bill"

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=307.msg3860;topicseen#msg3860

Here is a summary of recent dialogs from Bill.

Bill Ruppert's VG-99 advice.

The VG-99 is wonderful in the Studio: The way you scroll and adjust effects and amp sounds needs to be FAST, and accessible. On the job at a session its demanding, and my ability to access and tweak my parameters swiftly are paramount when time is money. For example If I needed to adjust gain and the master, comp, some mid and high end EQ ,the delay time and chorus and tweak the globals  - I need fast access to these for every session.

With all these modelling rigs  - Straight presets do not work in the studio as every session demands a re-think of EQ, gain and effect levels to allow you to fit into a unique track and "sit" well in the mix..
In the studio I am booked for an hour and need to get the sound together fast so I can move on to reading the chart and not sit there staring at a very small screen while the producer starts the count off.

I can sit in my studio creating patches and tweaking for 5 to 8 hours just working with the front panel. I will say this is by far the most exciting piece of equipment I have ever worked with.
I have never had so much fun.
I am a studio musician and am amazed at how I can use the tuning functions on sessions.
Just sound plain 'REAL"! The old VG- 88 would never pass.

The synth things have been and will now be even more of a money maker for me.
I feel like I should send Roland a royalty check :-) I am blown away.
(That said the presets are useless. What you dig and tweak for is where the gold is)

* Resist the urge to scroll every Factory patch , or downloaded Patch you find online.
  Use your time to cultivate YOUR sound.

* If you start from scratch - you have a very accurate tool with the VG-99.

* I build a flat or blank patch with every thing zeroed out,even the name. I'll include a few preferred Control assignment, and GK settings,  I then copy that to EVERY UNUSED USER PATCH (001-200) and start from the ground up.

* Inside the VG-99 you have a wide palette of Guitars, Stomp Boxes, Synths, Boutique Amps, Speakers, Mics, Dynamics Processors, EQ, Delays, Reverbs.

* One secret is the Dual paths on the VG-99 - A and B. For example You can program the attack on the A chain and the "pad" sustain on the B chain. Its similar to the common studio trick of close miking a distorted guitar amp, and simultaneously recording a dry straight guitar DI Box track right off the PU  - to get that initial transient note attack back in the mix. Finally we can do this live with the VG-99.

Re GK Pick Ups:  I use nothing but the GK pickups(Roland GK-3, GK-2A) .I am a HUGE fan of the magnetic pickup design.

Re:  What type guitar do you use?

At the moment I am using Ibanez guitars.
I have a few Floral Jems made in 1988 that get used all the time.
They just feel and sound good to me.
Hard to believe they are 20 years old already.
I like Dunlop 6100 and 6000 fret wire.
I like to be off the fret board with my finger tips.
Analog pickups are Duncan Holdsworth, 1 meg pots.
I have a love hate relationship with the Floyd-Rose bridge but I have
to use a vibrato bridge.
Other guitars I love have the Fender American standard bridge.
In combo with some locking Sperzel tuners it is a wonderful vibrato
system
I route the tremolo block to fit a Floyd-Rose arm.

I change strings on my recording guitars everyday.
I HATE that part but I get payed for sound and I feel its the least I
can do to.
I also tune in between very take.
I tend to find that I like strings better
when they are broken in a bit.

What difference do you see exactly with brand new
strings in the studio?  Does it make tuning stability harder??

It makes the stability hell!
And with a locking floating bridge its even worse.
The upside is great intonation and a bright sound which I love for the
clean stuff.
I use a 009 set with a .15 third string.
Thats very light I know, especially with the very tall frets but that
I like.
I have a very light touch,
Changing strings also keep what string tension I have high.

I only wish I had some one to change the strings for me.
The Man that does all my fret work is Ed Reynolds in Austin ,Texas.
He is brilliant.
Bill

Re Monitor Speakers:

I'm in the Genelec 1101A club! One of the best things I ever did was get to get set of monitors. It narrows the playing field for me.
I know that what I hear here at the home studio will sound great in any studio I go. Makes my job so easy.

When making new VG-99 Demo sounds, is there a certain technique you employ?

Well for these quick clips of the VG-99 I am using the VG-99 driven by the GK-3 pickup.
I have been recording these little bits in to an Electro-Harmonix Stereo Memory Man (with Hazarai)looping pedal.
I am just using the 30 second looper section of the pedal with out effects and its one pass to show the VG-99 nude with out a overdubs.
The Overdrive track had an overdub. Later I will post some serious multi tracking looping in which the VG-99 just shines.

(BTW- The new EH stereo memory man pedal is a GREAT item and if you go into its effect section it does some VERY sick things typical of Electro Harmonix. All in Stereo!)
From the straight recorded  loop I just squirt it in the computer throw a fade on it and then bounce to MP3.

* As how the patches were done I LOVE to talk about them and how I got there.

Re: The B3 Organ Patch.
The B3 patch honestly is just two channels of the "Organ" COSM into
some EQ into the Rotary efect. ( bypass those crungy distorted COSM amps of the factory Organ patch) The speed of the Roto is controlled via the FC-300.
You rock the speed back and forth from fast to slow as Hammond player would do. Thats it!

Here is some stuff about my Hammond B-3 sound.
I LOVE this sound and its so easy to make.
I timed it and I set it up from scratch in 3 minutes!
If it takes 12 min who cares it still gives you time to play.
To take it to the next level read up on how a Hammond really works. There is tons of stuff on the web.
To take it even further down load some gospel music as B-3 is at its core and will let you how it is played and what voicings they use.
You can fine tune till the cows come home.
I was very lucky as when I was MUCH younger I did countless RB and Gospel sessions.
I got to sit next to some of the best B-3 and gospel keyboard players in the world that actually made my legs shake they were so good!
I soaked it in like red wine on a new carpet!!!!!

The B-3 is a snap!
Start with Organ COSM.
The control's labeled Feet are the draw bars like on a real organ
If you leave then all at 12oclock it will sound fine to start with.
The same with the control labeled sustain start at 12oclock.

From there set up the Rotary effect in the FX section.
There is one in the MOD1 and in MOD2. They are the same so just use
one of them.
Set the Rate-Slow speed at about 25 and the Rate-Fast above 70.

Go to the control assign section and assign a expression pedal to the
Rotary speed.Target parameters should read F4 (A or B) FX---- F5 (Mod1
or Mod2) Rotary----F6 speed.
Make sure the SW is turned on.
This now lets you slow or speed up the Leslie speaker with the
expression pedal and gives it the "real" sound. I rock the pedal as I
play to high light certain sections or chords.

From there I go to a clean amp in the COSM amp section. Any of the
first 6 amps sound great to me.
Thats it.
If you want add reverb. For live you might not want it.
If you want it brighter adjust the amp or add a section of EQ and
bring up what sounds good in your situation.
Good luck and have fun!
The COSM Organ is one of my favorite.

Re: Upright Bass patch. 

I think It was just a piezo guitar pitched down with the defretter and massive EQ.
You have to play it with your fingers and the side of your thumb to animate the attack or it sounds nothing like it. Your palm lifts off the string to open the vowel swell sound up. Turn down the depth in the defret fx

Re:  the  Crystal Rain effect patches.
This is the VG.s take on an effect made popular by some very expensive effect units. (eventide) I love the way the VG does it.
BTW - I do not use the crystal synth much but it is  dead on with the pitch tracking. It is so hip,they pitch track the ring modulator that is the clangorous metallic attack at the front of the overall sound. I have used just that part of the Crystal sound threw a distorted amp
for some very crazy sounds. I just turn down the body level and sustain and crank up the attack and attack level. Its all ring mod at that point.
-

-moonie wrote>
Bill,
I meant to ask you how you crushed the attack of your Crystal Slicer  sound.
Did you use a Slow Gear, or are you playing those swells with  hands or feet?
I find that the Slow Gear in the Poly Effects section works well for me, but the Slow Gear in mono FX section doesn't really light my boat on fire.

Hey Moonie,
Good ears,your right on the money!  On the Crystal Slicer sounds, I used the Poly Slow gear. I have never been a fan of the mono Slow Gear.
But here's a tip: After hearing Larry Carlton in the 70,s I have never played with out a volume pedal. Not only for envelope effects but as the worlds smartest noise gate!
(Over the years I have trained my self to gate up to a 32nd note before a track starts:-)
So not much need for the slow gear here.

Well when I saw the VG-99 had a Hex Slow gear in the POLY FX section,  I thought great just what I "don't" need! 
But soon heard it and lost my mind. Each string or voice with its own envelope is just stunning.
What would be hipper than hip would be a hex ADSR, allowing full control over attach and release of each string.
I kind of do that now with the synth patches by assigning different attack and decay levels to each COSM channels.
This gives the low end sound a fast attack and the upper voices a slow swell or what ever is needed.

I just remembered I am so old I have an original black Boss Slow Gear some where here in the vault.
Never used it:-)

If everything went away and I was left with the VG-99 I would be perfectly happy for the rest of my life.
It actually would be easier just to STOP, and compose and play.

admin

Re: Pedal Steel
The Pedal Steel is easy. Just assign a foot controller to the alt tuning-bend section.
Select the bend you need and bingo. The hard part is getting your head around the tunning you create.
kind of like a Rubic,s cube.

Re Mellotron Flute:
Fun sound. I added some noise by goofy gain staging to sound more real:-)
The Mellotron MKll sound is made up of two channels of the Bowed Model type ,EQ, delay and reverb.
I use and expression pedal for volume swells.
It can be EQed a million ways for different sounds.

Re:Violins/Brass Mix
I believe I tried to "low-fi" that sound to sound like an old Genesis record.
I was crazy for that old sound.

Its best always to EQ while playing in a track.
I ALWAYS adjust the EQ every time I record a track.
Its rare I just hit it and go.
I try to sculpt or shade each sound into the track I am working with.
Its something recording engineers do but I feel its up to the musician to present a track sound that fits the track like a glove from the get go.

Re Sitar:
Yes its all VG-99 and done in one pass real time. Thats what I love about it!  I could almost get a solo gig in a curry restaurant!
(Truth is I would LOVE the opportunity)  Its just the Sitar COSM on both channel A/B.  Start with a factory patch is needed.  I added some compressor and delay.  Reverb is done in the mixer page.
(BTW - I LOVE having yet another reverb in the mix section.)

The Tampura channel has some phaser added to swirl it up a bit. The defreter is the secret trick to getting a great Sitar sound. EQ to your hearts desire with a EQ FX or the tone stack in a very clean COSM amp.
The electric Sitar has always been a favorite instrument of mine. In fact I am friends with the inventor Vinnie Bell.

Re String patches
Its a patch I made with the Bowed COSM algorithm. The pitch effects were done with the ribbon controller.A and B are the COSM Bowed synth modeling type.
Use the EXP pedal for volume swells before reverb and delay. Pan for stereo.I was splitting strings in octaves all over the place both on A and B guitars.

I use the 99 so much in my work I ordered a second one as a spare. I will HAVE to try two linked with a US-20. It will be insane!!!!!!!!!!
The VG-99 is so great as it has Synth qualities but at the same time is completely different from what can be had from stock Synths or soft synths.  Yes Addagio can be done live with the VG-99, thats how I do it. You just have to keep your fingers on the notes for as long as you can before changing voicings. Use the expression pedal for the legato volume swells. The pitch sweeps were just reaching over and sliding on the ribbon controller.

Re: "The Orchestron".

I used the COSM "Bowed" model to sound much like Cellos.
It was fun to place these different sounds in an ensemble setting.
Yes there are there overdubs on this
It is a single guitar for the first 35 seconds.
I then added track of small strings and a bass.
At 46 seconds I added a horn sound for a few bars doing a counter line.

What is rather amazing is the dynamic ability of the VG-99.
The hard Cello at the front and softer Cello which starts the repeated
line are for the most part the same sound.
The hard Cello is played with a pick and the soft Cello is done with
my fingers.
That IS dynamic!
Try and do that with a Guitar Synth.

Re: Tube Warmth

- Some one asked about Amp warmth and I thought I would throw my two
cents in.

The VG-99 has a marvelous EQ capability.
In fact there are 8 mono EQs and 3 Stereo EQ in the the Mix and
Globals pages.
Thats not including the EQ tone sections in the two amps!
Talk about control.

To me if the dynamics of an amp model are to your liking or in other
words the amp "Feels" good to how you pick, you are almost home.
The rest is EQ.

One of the great features about the EQ,s in the FX section (this
includes in the Sub EQ Mod1 and Mod2) is the final page.
This is the low and high cut.

The real world guitar speaker itself has a terrible high end response.
That flaw as it turns out, made the distorted guitar sound one of our
greatest gifts.
A real speaker will filter much of the brittle nasty high end caused
by a clipped or distorted amp.
The High cut control lets you put a shelf at the nasty ranges.
11khs, 8.0K, 6khs and 4khs.
It goes further but I find its to dark for most application below 4khs.
You can create different cuts buy using two eq,s and say cut one at
11khz and another at 8khs.

Same goes for the low end.
Soloed your track can sound huge and big but in a mix it just eats up
space need by an other instrument to be heard.
(Like the Bass guitar or kick drum
Here you can roll off the fake woofy bottom end.

This all may be very obvious but I thought I would bring it up.
This sight is a fun read as it shows the frequency plot for all their
speakers.
They are mighty low-fi compared to a full range studio monitor!
Bill

http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/products/heritage/detail.asp?ID=7

RE EQ:The Boss/Roland EQ sections are insanely powerful.
They can take a ho-hum sound and turn it into the sound you have been searching for.
Please take the time to twist each knob and take a mental note to what happens to your sound.
Doing this will give you the ability to dial in sound fixes you need for a sound you are chasing.
Sometimes cutting/lowering rather than boosting a band will get you where you want to be.
When you cut one eq section, the other sections of the sound bands are now louder.
So its not just boost!
One tip, to remove "Fizz" or what all guitar players hate when using distortion, go to the last page of the EQ and turn down the high cut to 6.0kHz.
This is normally rolled off with a 12 inch guitar speaker and why people hate going direct.
Bill

Re: VG-99 COSM Synths:

Well to the best of my knowledge there are no use of oscillators in the Synth COSM models.
They are no more an oscillator based synth than the Electro Harmonixs micro synth.
Just run your finger nail down a wound sting and you will hear its just your guitar.
If the 99 were oscillators driven by the guitar's signal there would be pitch change abilities with in the oscillator as well as endless sustain available.
These models are just the guitar string Re-Modeled harmonically.
In other words they can clip the wave form and create a hand full of different waves via subtractive filtering. Kind of like a hex-fuzz. Even the Crystal model is just clever use of ring-mod techniques.
Yes there are envelope filters just like in a synth but the the basic sound engine or "oscillator" is simply the guitar string.

I still say "I don't use guitar synths, I use extensive signal processing".

Now that said the GR-300 model maybe a different story I have not played with it much but I know it is far less responsive than the other COSM models.
Its JUST as quirky as the original I own!!

Re South Seas Guitars:

The secrets of the" South Seas Guitars"

The "South Seas Guitars" is just this and nothing more.
There is no Voodoo, no fairy dust ...no patches.
Its just guitar and imagination.

I used a Nylon guitar for the lap steel.
No special alternate tunings, no pitch bend.
I used glass Dunlop #215 slide.
I rolled a little low end off the sound and added some reverb.
I do not have a patch for it as I never saved it!
There was no need to.
Thats all it is.

The Uke was a nylon guitar with the bottom two strings turned off.
A ukulele only has four nylon strings.

The "Ocean Wave" sound was just what a real wave sound is "white noise".
I dialed in a MS stack amp added a DS distortion in front and basically built a VERY, VERY noisy signal.
I placed the guitar in my lap face down to mute the strings to avoid feedback
I swept the EQ mid range with an expression pedal and there you have it, VG "Ocean Waves".

The bass was the VG-99 "Jazz Bass" .

Please don't forget the greatest part of music lies within your imagination.
The rest is up to you to play your guitar.

I hope this gives you some insight.

Bill Ruppert

Re D-Beam Controller.

The D-Beam sustain is a cross fade loop delay based effect. The Electro-Harmonix Hog has the same effect. Very cool and I am SO happy to have it in the 99!
I do wish it was usable on the analog input.

Re Backing up VG-99 Patches.

I found if I save any patch with the VG-editor  all the extra data like system, GK settings, etc.  is saved. This might prove a source of problems down the line as my control reassignments may change.
So now I back up all the patched with the VG-99 Librarian program and as a separate operation I save my GK settings, Control assignments and the extras with one patch in the VG-99 Editor program.

Oh - In the VG-99 Librarian,  rather than paste in a new document when in the lib program I just hit duplicate and save from there.

How to use the VG-99 librarian
http://www.mooncaine.net/videos/

admin

Bill Ruppert wrote>

A simple way to look at HRM/Harmonic Restructure Modeling
The Roland V-Guitar systems use a unique form of processing to create new sounds from the guitar that is not well understood by the average guitar player.
HRM/Harmonic Restructure Modeling or "Remodeling" as is generically called is just what the name implies.
When you remodel the kitchen of bathroom in a house you keep the same room but change things with in it.
Its much the same thing with digital guitar remodeling.

Many other popular guitar synthesizers use a system of producing sound called "pitch to voltage".
The circuit analyzes the note or notes you play on the guitar and extracts information about what you are playing.
Information about what pitch you played, the volume you are picking and when the note starts and stops.

The connection to the guitar ends there as the information is passed on to other devices to produce the final sound.
To me its much the same as if I plucked a E note on my guitar and then picked up the telephone and called you and said, hey I just played a E note pass it on. Then You call Roland and tell them to go over to one of their synthesizer Keyboards and play an E note. The end result feels removed and seconded handed to me. On top of that there is a delay as it takes time for all of the process above to happen.

Remodeling is another way to produce new sounds from the guitar with out pitch to voltage conversions and without removing the guitar from the signal.
When you plug into any digital device whether it be a Line6 POD a EHX HOG or the soundcard in your computer, your guitar signal is broken down into a stream of numbers so the processors inside the device can effect or record your sound.
Every thing you play is turned into digital streams of numbers comprised of 1,s and 0,s.

Remodeling is taking the order of the 1's and 0's and switching them around.
To keep it VERY simple, hypothetically lets say when you play an E note on your guitar, the processor reads your guitar as 1001. By changing the order of the numbers to say 1110 the sound would change drastically from the original.
Its still your signal its just jumbled up a bit! "Its been remodeled".
The end result is a different sound but it is still your guitar with all the nuances of your playing.
Its as natural feeling as a overdrive pedal.
Even with the VG set for a synthesizer sound I can run my finger nail down a low string on the guitar and hear every winding on the string. Its still the guitar string producing the sound.
In real life your guitar amp cranked up to ten or a fuzz box is a form of remodeling by distorting and changing the waveform of your guitar.
I have always looked at "harmonic remodeling" as the ultimate effect device for the guitar.

The VG systems use a hexaphonic pickup and is able to remodel each string separately, creating even more sonic possibilities.
Combined with individual pitch shifting of +/- two octaves for each string the possibilities are endless!

Bill Ruppert

Bill Ruppert

Guys
I have been working with a POD HD and  the Zoom G3.
EVERYTHING I come up with I can translate to the VG-99 in minutes.
The level of EQ and amp/OD/Dist pedals makes almost anything possible.
Please believe me this may be the greatest amp simulator ever made.

Difficult?
Yes extremely as there are thousands and thousands and thousands of possible combinations of amps, EQs, od-dist pedals.
Its endless...BUT its all in this box if you are crafty enough to find the combinations.
Its an open ended amp simulator that YOU have to program.

Its a paint box with all the colors included.....
All you have to do is start painting!

Brent Flash

Bill Ruppert

I was just thinking the VG-99 has 49 amp models, 31 od/dist pedals and three 4 band parametric eq's.
Multiply that times 2 using the 2nd channel and the mathematical possibilities and endless.

PLUS you can route one channel into the second channel and have up to six 4band eq's on a single channel!!!!!!!!!

I wonder what the number of possible combinations would be.

aliensporebomb

Indeed. 

It's easy to get a "amp like feel" out of this too using combinations of different amps with different overdrive/distortion boxes plus some of the other tools in the quiver.
I won't even get started on the phase/flange/chorus/delay/modulation/reverberant space possibilities - you could write a book on it.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

cynegetic

I agree but... what has two thumbs and couldn't paint a wall let alone a picture?

<Fonzies>This guy.

Bill Ruppert

I dont buy it!
You have your own view and your own emotional feelings of what has gone on around you.
Use that to paint your picture.
Just take an extra few seconds before you play your next chord or note passage and try to express with your next move and what will make the listener feel what you feel.
It could be  just a single chord or a two note melody.
Its what resonates in your heart and makes you want to cry or laugh or feel strong or mad or what ever when you play it!
I can play three chords and want to start crying...Just my problems but I feel it when I play them
Whether its sad or happy its all emotion.
AND its what art is all about.
There is art in all of us.
We just need to turn in on and show it.

Quote from:  cynegetic on September 30, 2011, 06:17:55 PM
I agree but... what has two thumbs and couldn't paint a wall let alone a picture?

<Fonzies>This guy.

fuzzfactory

+100 the vg-99 is the most powerful tool for electric guitar since well the electric guitar was invented!
granted the patches i share are mainly "synth" based as i want to show people what the synth molding can do
as there are of plenty of 'normal" guitar patches to be had...this is not to say i do no not use the vg as a "normal" guitar
processor all the time...i just choose to share my synth patches  8)

ktat

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on September 29, 2011, 08:23:01 AM

PLUS you can route one channel into the second channel and have up to six 4band eq's on a single channel!!!!!!!!!

How do you do this?

Bill Ruppert

Here is the trick!
Use the Cosm guitar from channel A and output it to the left channel.
Take a patch chord from the left output and plug that into the regular Mag guitar input
Set the B channel for pick up level on the B channel for 0 cosm guitar and 100% normal mag Pick up.
Then in the output mixer pan channel B to the right side output.
Its a mono signal but now you can run all of channel A,s effects into all of channel B, effects.
Below are pics of the out mixer setting and the pick up settings for channel A and B.

Quote from:  ktat on October 02, 2011, 06:43:48 AM
How do you do this?

A2theT

crafty little trick.  maybe they could incorporate this routing internally when the VG-00 is released......
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

aliensporebomb

lotis

Thanks for that. I'm new to the VG99. It is overwhelming in it's abundant choices. I'm slowly getting there.

cynegetic

Didn't mean to confuse. I was just referring to the ability of copying tones as you had stated in your first post.  I'm just not good at that and as you said, it's not easy. 

Doesn't mean I don't have hella fun with this box anyway and make other cool sounds!

Bill Ruppert

Cynegetic I know you are doing cool stuff!!!
Keep it up my VG-99 brother.

I wish I could have taken an EQ matching class instead of Spanish in High school!!!
Man THAT would have changed my life!!!!!!!!

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/Smileys/classic/sad.gif
Quote from:  cynegetic on October 10, 2011, 03:10:24 PM
Didn't mean to confuse. I was just referring to the ability of copying tones as you had stated in your first post.  I'm just not good at that and as you said, it's not easy. 

Doesn't mean I don't have hella fun with this box anyway and make other cool sounds!

A2theT

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on October 10, 2011, 08:55:40 PM
I wish I could have taken an EQ matching class instead of Spanish in High school!!!
Man THAT would have changed my life!!!!!!!!
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/Smileys/classic/sad.gif

Everyday I wake I make it a mission to change someone's life even if it is just with one click of the google button..lol

Try:

• izotope's ozone3
  • FreEqBoy
  • DUY Magic Spectrum
  • Paul Frindle's DSM
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

Bill Ruppert

I have several of those thanks.
My EQ skills are top notch right now.
I just think it should be taught to every music student.
I had to learn it on my own.
Quote from: A to the T on October 12, 2011, 01:13:29 PM
Everyday I wake I make it a mission to change someone's life even if it is just with one click of the google button..lol

Try:

• izotope's ozone3
  • FreEqBoy
  • DUY Magic Spectrum
  • Paul Frindle's DSM

fuzzfactory

man i must be slow today or am just really stupid but i cannot get bills trick to work and i am not a noob when i comes to routing ....
ok i set up channel A 100% cosm....pan it to the left on the mixer.
set up channel B to 100% mag ....pan it to the right....connect the left 1/4 inch out to the guitar in on the back of the vg
i did all this and i get no sound out of the VG at all....if i pan ch. A to the right i hear my cosm guitar but i am getting nothing out of channel B?!?!

this sounds like such a good trick in so many ways and can't for the life of me figure out what the hell i am doing wrong  >:(

all my cables work and yes i have both channels active.....damn i feel stupid...DOOH

aliensporebomb

Quote from:  fuzzfactory on November 18, 2011, 08:41:35 PM
man i must be slow today or am just really stupid but i cannot get bills trick to work and i am not a noob when i comes to routing ....
set up channel B to 100% mag ....pan it to the right....connect the left 1/4 inch out to the guitar in on the back of the vg
i did all this and i get no sound out of the VG at all....if i pan ch. A to the right i hear my cosm guitar but i am getting nothing out of channel B?!?!

this sounds like such a good trick in so many ways and can't for the life of me figure out what the hell i am doing wrong  >:(

all my cables work and yes i have both channels active.....damn i feel stupid...DOOH

On your patch do you have the mag level set to zero by any chance?  No wait you say it's 100%.
What output you using?

Bill Ruppert

Forest
You are NOT stupid by any means!
I did the same thing when I first set this up.
I just got in and its after midnight in Chicago and I am toast.
Will write tomorrow with better instructions.
It will blow your mind to have the option of double effects.
I bet its the setting of the front panel balance control....
Bill
Quote from:  fuzzfactory on November 18, 2011, 08:41:35 PM

fuzzfactory

alien i am using the right 1/4 out into the guitar in

bill i have the balance set to 50 / 50.....
???

i know i must be missing something in the setup that will make me go DOOH....
i want my mind to blown yet again by the vg....hahaha
i am thinking that once i figure this out i can run effects pedals in the loop as well like gr-300 into fuzzfactory or bigmuff would be nice ;)

Bill Ruppert

Ok here is a patch for you.
Series Effects!

Use GK pickup in.
Take patch cable from left output to guitar input on the back panel.
Monitor with the right side output.
Now its all the effects and amp from channel B into all effects and amp of channel A and out the right side output.

Have FUN!
Bill

fuzzfactory

RIGHT ON BILL!!!!!!!! thank you soooooooooooo much .....it works!!!!!! awe man look out my mind is about to blown yet again  ;D