PRIMOVA MIDX-20 Dual Roland USB MIDI Converter / Ctrl Interface

Started by CodeSmart, March 05, 2016, 05:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CodeSmart

Quote from: gumtown on July 14, 2016, 12:34:38 PM
no matter when in the chain the USB to 5 pin adapter is, the midi speed come out at 31250 bits per second.
Out of the VG-99 midi port is 31250 bps
Out of the VG-99 USB port is up to 1,500,000 bps, the VG-99 internal CPU will only transfer a lot slower, then at some point the data has to exit at 'midi speed' of 31250 bps.
ehm...just what I tried to say, your soooo good at numbers Gumtown :D
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

chrish

Thanks, that information clears up some stuff. Now i'm starting to see why people are using usb midi with fast computers for softsynths and how drivers can affect lantency.

CodeSmart

Quote from: chrish on July 14, 2016, 04:11:15 PM
Thanks, that information clears up some stuff. Now i'm starting to see why people are using usb midi with fast computers for softsynths and how drivers can affect lantency.
31250 bits corresponds to 3906 bytes/second. Note-on note-off etc corresponds to a few byte sent, say worst case 8 max bytes for a note played. This is 500 notes/second, i.e. any note-of/off hits you delayed by 2ms, can you hear that delay? Any noticeable delay is probably induced BEFORE transmission through MIDI. Correct me if I'm calculating wrongly.

CodeSmart

gumtown

Quote from: CodeSmart on July 14, 2016, 04:51:59 PM
31250 bits corresponds to 3906 bytes/second.
Some device hardware internally use serial UART which consume a start and stop byte, so in some (worst case) cuts the throughput is 3125 bytes/sec.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

sixeight

Quote from: gumtown on July 14, 2016, 06:22:49 PM
Some device hardware internally use serial UART which consume a start and stop byte, so in some (worst case) cuts the throughput is 3125 bytes/sec.

The MIDI protocol always has one start bit and one stop bit. So 3125 bytes/sec is the best throughput you can get. As it is an asynchronous protocol, throughput can get worse than that!!!

http://www.personal.kent.edu/~sbirch/Music_Production/MP-II/MIDI/midi_physical_layer.htm

CodeSmart

Now controlling the Mustang using a 3-button Lodigy UMI3 MIDI controller and it works 100% OK,
changing patches or turning stuff on/off etc using the built-in MIDI Bridge.
Also connected a EV-5 to it for overall Amp volume control. No latency, everything gets immediate respons from the amp.

Now finalizing the firmware and PC-program for the built-in controls.

The MIDX-20 built-in Setup Wizard allows you to configure it in many aspects.

However with the upcoming MIDX-20 Assistant PC-Software it will be possible to program it further:
- A FS-6/FS-7 connected directly to MIDX-20 can be configured to do Patch Up/Down (0-99 patches), with default power-on patch.
- Any of the four FS (2x Fs-6/FS-7) can be setup for a custom MIDI transmission of up to 24 bytes for the ON state and another custom 24-bytes for the OFF state. This will allow SysEx messages or the possibility to Control several effects with one button.

The stuff is great!

Only one thing, it could have had more than two USB connectors...but that will not happen in a long time.
Also there's issues with firmware downloading I need to fix.

sixeight

QuoteNow controlling the Mustang using a 3-button Lodigy UMI3 MIDI controller and it works 100% OK.

Excellent. It is always great if something is finally working.

Is it one way traffic so far? Reason I am asking is, I still hope to make the VController compatible. But I will need a lot of data. Patch names, effect types and states. Maybe too much for the Midx-10.

QuoteOnly one thing, it could have had more than two USB connectors...but that will not happen in a long time.
Also there's issues with firmware downloading I need to fix.

I find with the VController that I already need three usb-midi ports to connect everything I have (GP10, zoom G3, Mustang amp) so I have resurrected the raspberry pi. Now that it will reconnect, it feels a bit safer to use. Still do not like the boot time of around 15 seconds.

But for live use I am much happier with the midx-10.

CodeSmart

Quote from: sixeight on July 16, 2016, 09:16:54 AM
Is it one way traffic so far? Reason I am asking is, I still hope to make the VController compatible. But I will need a lot of data. Patch names, effect types and states. Maybe too much for the Midx-10.

I could bring SysEx into it but I'm not sure I want to go down that path just for you. Also I have only 1.5 kB Program memory left in Debug compilation. Current patch name would be easy, but all the effect types and control values I don't have the engine for.

Elantric

This thread is inspirational

Congratulations to all

I find with the VController that I already need three usb-midi ports to connect everything I have (GP10, zoom G3, Mustang amp) so I have resurrected the raspberry pi.

I would point the fact that here in USA, the latest generation of  Beaglebone embedded CPU boards appear to have a faster CPU compared to latest rPI

Since It still runs Jack and Alsa and it should also work for Boss GP-10 /GT-001

In the Mustang Amp thread with Steve Hirsch - we discussed this

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6879.msg131824#msg131824

--
QuoteJust checked operation on a Beaglebone Green under Debian Jessie.  From what I'm seeing so far, this is a better platform for the MIDI bridge.  Response is noticeably snappier and I'm not seeing any timeouts or misbehavior.

Looks like the BeagleBone Green Wireless is the preferred hardware platform

As this has the multiple USB Host ports required for connection to Mustang Amp and USB <> MIDI cable without using a USB HUB

And this board  features built in WiFi 802.11b/g/n 2.4GHz and Bluetooth 4.1 BLE

https://www.amazon.com/Seeedstudio-BeagleBone-Green-Wireless-Bluetooth/dp/B01GKE8F10/ref=pd_sim_504_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41GmdLUnOHL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=880SEC8S6H1N289T3GYT

The Bluetooth BLE support means it supports the new crop of Bluetooth LE Wireless MIDI hardware controllers
http://www.korg.com/us/products/computergear/nanokontrol_studio/

On my To do list - design a Wireless MIDI Footcontroller that "talks" Bluetooth LE

sixeight

Quote from: CodeSmart on July 16, 2016, 09:31:37 AM
I could bring SysEx into it but I'm not sure I want to go down that path just for you. Also I have only 1.5 kB Program memory left in Debug compilation. Current patch name would be easy, but all the effect types and control values I don't have the engine for.

Sure. No problem. I figured you were running out of space. I will use the RPI for connectivity with the Mustang.

Quotewould point the fact that here in USA, the latest generation of  Beaglebone embedded CPU boards appear to have a faster CPU compared to latest rPI

I know, but I have the RPI lying around the house. If it runs out of juice I will look at the alternatives. It could be that the RPI copes just fine when Steve Hirsch is ready with his software.

QuoteOn my To do list - design a Wireless MIDI Footcontroller that "talks" Bluetooth LE

Great. I am definitely interested. Would be great for controlling iOS apps.

Elantric

QuoteGreat. I am definitely interested. Would be great for controlling iOS apps.
NanoKontrol already does that right out of the box-
My Goal is controlling Mustang II V2 using a wireless foot controller (same end goal as the Remudo developer)
Perhaps future V-Control could be BLE compliant, - and then a small box with  the BeagleBone Green Wireless board resides in the Mustang Amp     = Total wireless foot control solution

CodeSmart

Yesterday I updated my home page (www.primovasound.com) with info about MIDX-20 and an updated manual (www.primovasound.com/pdf/MIDX20_Manual.pdf). I hope to be able to start shipping this thing really soon. I'm just waiting for a Mustang III amp to fix a little thing that good old Snhirsch has found.

Regarding the price I've concluded for the first batch of units at abt. $175 USD + shipping and PayPal fees. I know it's a lot but these units are hand-built and I have to consider the amounts I invested in various gear to test it and all the hours spent.

If not already done, you may e-mail me at sound@primova.se to be added to the waiting list, but please know it's a lot of people there already.

Regarding the MIDX-10, I'm not sure if to make more units as this thing is so much better. I've noted on my home page that the MIDX-10 is put "on hold".

MIDX-20 is the missing link to communicate with BOSS/Roland USB devices, to control your Fender Mustang™ Amplifier, or to connect any other MIDI Class compliant device such as Fishman Triple Play or USB controllers like Logidy UMI3. The small unit has two USB connectors, 5-pin MIDI in and MIDI OUT with MIDI THRU capability and may be configured for various data routings covering virtually any configuration you may need.

Express yourself further! It got two stereo jacks for Expression pedals or Dual Footswitches allowing you to go beyond the hardware limitations by using "Assigns".

The analog state of the external Expression pedal(s) will instantly be translated to any Control Number (CC#) and MIDI Channel of your choice.

The state of a Dual footswitch is translated to any CC# (Latched or Momentary) for turning effects on/off, or may also be used for Program Change commands (PC#) either as fixed PC# or PC# Decrement/Increment, allowing a dual footswitch working as Patch Up/Down controller.

Some examples:
A 5-pin MIDI controller (ex: Roland FC-300, Behringer FCB1010 etc) may control up to two USB MIDI devices (such as Roland/Boss gear and/or Fender Mustang amps) as well as more 5-pin devices (using the MIDI THRU mode).

If you have a USB MIDI controller (ex: Logidy UMI3) you can control one USB Device and any additional 5-pin MIDI devices.

If you use Roland/Boss Guitar synths with Guitar-to-MIDI translation, you may playback sounds on any 5-pin MIDI synth or USB device.

If add a USB-to-MIDI cable (ex: Roland UM-1 MKII) and Apple Camera adapter cable you may playback on soft synths in iPad or iPhone.

Extend the possibilities of your GT,GP,VG,SY or GR unit by adding more footswitches or expression pedals.

Works with, but not limited to:
Roland/Boss Devices: GT-10, GT-100, GT-001, GP-10, VG-99, SY-300 and GR-55 
Amplifiers: Fender Mustang I,II,III or IV (including V2 series)
Expr. Pedals/Footswitches: Roland EV-5, Boss FS-6, Boss FS-7 (or compatible)

MIDX-20 is also a fully Compliant US MIDI Host for unlimited use with any other equipment.

Elantric

whippinpost91850

Looks Great.. Send me the bill to pay ya

carlb

ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

rolandvg99

To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

vtgearhead

Very pretty!  One question from "good old" Steve :-). Will the new firmware with Mustang support be made generally available for MIDX-10 owners? 

CodeSmart

Quote from: snhirsch on August 05, 2016, 04:56:25 PM
Very pretty!  One question from "good old" Steve :-). Will the new firmware with Mustang support be made generally available for MIDX-10 owners?

Yes, I'll put a link on my webpage.

CodeSmart

No Mustang III V2 amp for final firmware verification yet, but they, (4Sound) say "this week"... :P

vtgearhead

I will be extremely embarrassed if you are unable to reproduce the odd parameter control issue.  I have checked and re-checked and it appears for me 100% of the time.

CodeSmart

Quote from: snhirsch on August 10, 2016, 03:11:12 PM
I will be extremely embarrassed if you are unable to reproduce the odd parameter control issue.  I have checked and re-checked and it appears for me 100% of the time.
Don't worry Steve, I'm sure you are right. I hope to fix it. And here I sit, still waiting for my Mustang Amp :(

Confident about this whole thing I'm preparing production of more babies.
I've learnt that the turn-around for each batch may extend to several months.
Better be prepared. The waiting list is so looooong now.  :P

vtgearhead

Just FYI:  I posted a quick blurb on the Mustang amplifier forum at Fender to tell folks who don't want to hassle with my bridge code about MIDX-20.  It seems there are few to none who are capable or interested in setting up a Beagelbone or RPi, but I bet some are wanting a plug-and-play solution. 

CodeSmart

Finally arrived, wife is picking up the Mustang III from the 4Sound store today :D

gumbo

Quote from: CodeSmart on August 17, 2016, 10:32:37 PM
Finally arrived, wife is picking up the Mustang III from the 4Sound store today :D

Right...and you expect that she's going to hand it over to you so you can spend another month in the basement ????   ::)
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...