Powered mixer over guitar amp ?

Started by colan, March 09, 2017, 07:34:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colan

Hello-    I'm thinking of leaving my single-input guitar amp at home and using a multi-input powered mixer for live gigs.   Are there any pitfalls to doing this ?   I haven't bought a powered mixer as yet.
Regards

slooky

Nothing wrong with that at all.

colan

Thanks slooky.  A little bit of experienced reassurance goes a long way.

Elantric

QuoteHello-    I'm thinking of leaving my single-input guitar amp at home and using a multi-input powered mixer for live gigs.   Are there any pitfalls to doing this ?   I haven't bought a powered mixer as yet.
Regards

it depends on what type guitar, what  music style and your expectations.

if its all acoustic style you will have the fewest problems

if you play more Rock / Blues Electric guitar styles - then you will need some type of Guitar Amp / Speaker Cab simulator , which is what we discuss in  bulk of the posts here

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20259.msg146051#msg146051
Quote(For Tripleplay) I'm using my laptop with a Roland Quad-Capture and amp and still getting audible guitar when the controller is set to ' Synth ' only. 
I'm guess I'm set up wrongly.

Then you can use the software based "Guitar Amp / Speaker Cab simulators" (Amplitube, GuitarRig)  included  with your Fishman tripleplay software bundle

Rhcole

I suggest some kind of stomp box to give your guitar a less sterile sound through a mixer. I use PA or keyboard amps myself, and I usually need some kind of processor after the guitar to make it sound right.

I have this:
http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/paradriverdi.html

I find that it always gets a tone that I like no matter what I run it through.

colan

Quote from: Elantric on March 09, 2017, 01:26:11 PM
it depends on what type guitar, what  music style and your expectations.

if its all acoustic style you will have the fewest problems

if you play more Rock / Blues Electric guitar styles - then you will need some type of Guitar Amp / Speaker Cab simulator , which is what we discuss in  bulk of the posts here

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20259.msg146051#msg146051

Then you can use the software based "Guitar Amp / Speaker Cab simulators" (Amplitube, GuitarRig)  included  with your Fishman tripleplay software bundle

The band plays through a range of genres -  albeit all original material - and I've been using a guitar amp with a Roland GR 20 synth.  I've also got the typical collection of effects boxes -  even some from the late 70s.
As you know from my enquiries I've recently fitted a Fishman Tripleplay to my ES 335 -  with excellent results-  and I'm also continuing to use the GR-20 on a Chinese Les Paul  (  a brilliant little guitar for a hundred bucks or so-  but I'm not seeking to enrage purists  :)   )  -   so I wanted more than the one input of the guitar amp. 
I've opted for a Behringer PMP6000 powered mixer -  which can accommodate all the band with inputs to spare.  It's en route so no ' hands on ' as yet but reading up on it discloses that it has a mass of built-in effects too   -  ( which I hope addresses the welcome advice of Rhcole )   So I'm swamped with effects possibilities and working my way through those offered by the FTP so that I can load the controller with an onstage sequence triggered by the FC-1,  which I still haven't fired up. 
Can I ask-  in relation to the mixer-  if it's OK to use my existing pair of 8 Ohm Peavey speakers with it ?

Loudspeaker Outputs
Type: Professional loxking connector
Load impedance:
MAIN L/R: 4 - 8?
MONITOR/MAIN MONO: 4 - 8?
MAIN MONO/MAIN MONO: 4 - 8?
BRIDGE: 8 - 16?

I'd guess that it's OK-  just checking in.

davep2000

Quote from: Rhcole on March 09, 2017, 02:39:54 PM
I suggest some kind of stomp box to give your guitar a less sterile sound through a mixer. I use PA or keyboard amps myself, and I usually need some kind of processor after the guitar to make it sound right.

I have this:
http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/paradriverdi.html

I find that it always gets a tone that I like no matter what I run it through.

I agree with the 'sterile' sound i get from my GP-10 into mixer/PA
I currently EQ as a get around but there's still something missing
In my case, the Sansamp that you use, would it work directly after the GP-10 out as a DI?
Would it go before the GP-10?
Or in a pseudo FX loop using the GP-10? Sort of 4CM. It is a preamp  :)

chrish

I add an analog signal from a micro tube guitar preamp,(with cabinet sim) mixed with the vg and  synth stuff and it all goes into an analog mixer and into a microtube power amp and into full range speakers.   

Rhcole

Davep2000,

You could use the Sansamp with the GP outs, although it wouldn't be the best solution for synths. Sometimes I run the direct guitar out through the Sansamp. Many people like the amp sims in the GP, do you not care for them?

davep2000

I just want simplicity, so I've invested in gear that has a small footprint, lightweight and transportable
I've had wet/dry/wet gear
I recently plugged my JMP-1 into my 9200 valve power amp and it made me smile
But it's HEAVY and I need to get around to selling it
The GP-10 route is good, but I can't help missing that sonic experience of real analogue air movement that digital, for me, can't
I bought a Bose L1 and B2 sub, and it shakes the dust from my neighbours attic, and I live in a detached house
The Bose is the mutts nuts, but I'm still missing 'something' that the GP-10 doesn't deliver
But the GP-10 is so versatile in a small package
So Sansamp, Twotone or Suhr cab emulation, in a small package may fill the gap
GP-10 speaker sims sound better than Behringer DI IMHO
I still haven't found what I'm looking for  ;)

Elantric

I just want simplicity, so I've invested in gear that has a small footprint, lightweight and transportable

Here's  one solution for "Amp in the room" sound"  - grab & go

but not ideal for Guitar Synth Pianos

https://www.boss.info/us/products/katana-100/

davep2000

Thanks Elantric,
I've tried the Katana head into the Bose L1
It's not for me
I think GP-10 into the Bose L1 is ok, and it ticks the boxes
I'll try the K100 soon
I've also have the Roland Cube 80XL which isn't far away from the Katana range IMHO  :)

DickBanks

GP-10 into Line 6 L2T--very nice sound, and relatively compact. That's my rehearsal rig. I was sold on it when I was able to match the sound of my Vox AC-15 w/ Greenback. So many other options mentioned in this forum that are also very sweet. You will never look back...
Fender GC-1 Stratocaster, Fender Locking Tuners, Super-Vee Blade Runner Trem
Boss GP-10
Line 6 L3T
Record to Scarlett 2i4 --> Ableton Live