13-pin guitars

Started by Charles Beatty, February 14, 2017, 10:38:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles Beatty

I've been following this site for many years and occasionally post.  I have owned a lot of guitar technology from the Roland VG-8, VG-99 through all things Line 6 from the Variax 300 up to the Variax JTV-59.  I have settled on the JTV-59 for a few reasons:

1.  I use alternate tunings often.
2  I love the acoustic sounds (it's set up with .011" gauge strings with a wound G.
3.  I also dig the tele, jazz box, and resonator sounds.

I am often drawn to the world of midi guitar.  I recently purchased a Fishman TriplePlay and soon abandoned it when I had trouble getting it to pair.  Was loving the idea of wireless implementation.

So I am back to the drawing board and thinking of getting the ATG-1.

I am looking at getting a Godin xTSA and then see old posts regarding the need for subsonic filitering, etc.

So, I am looking for advice.  What is the state of 13-pin guitars? e.g. Godin vs. Roland Ready Strat vs. installing a GK pickup on an existing guitar.

All comments and advice are greatly appreciated.

Peace
CB

kneagle

Carvin (now Kiesel) makes some very nice 13 pin guitars.

Charles Beatty

Interesting.  I'll check them out!  Gracias.

kneagle

Shingles

The Fishaman is the state of the art for MIDI guitar.
Re sub- sonic filtering, depends on what guitar to MIDI converter you use. You shouldn't need to filter a Godin guitar using Axon or older Roland guitar to MIDI boxes. In fact it's really only necessary for the iinternal synths in GR55, VG99 and (I think) GP10.
Nik
--------------------------------
Tonelab, VG99, Axon AX100, EDP, Repeater
Godin, PRS, Crafter and Roland guitars
Center Point Stereo Spacestation V3

Charles Beatty

So I think I'm settling on a GP-10 with a GK pickup on my Variax.  Will I be able to access VST soft synths in my DAW by using the midi out on the GP-10?

Thanks in advance.

romero

Yes you will be able to play vst's in your DAW using midi over USB. But The GP 10 does not have 5 pin din midi, so direct connection to midi keyboards and sound modules is a no go without a custom solution such as Codesmarts Midx20

gvidelock

I installed the RMC sub-sonic filter in my GR55 but I found that I did not need it for my GP10 (same guitars used on both, variety of GK3's, RMC hex, and Ghost hex).
-------------------------

Godin Spectrum SA
Godin Freeway SA
Fender Telecaster with Ghost and Hexpander
Fender Stratocaster with internal GK3 with Synth-Linx
Warmoth custom with internal GK3
Boss SY-1000
Roland GR-55
Roland GP-10
Katana 100W Head

Charles Beatty

Thanks people.  This forum has always been very good.

Hurricane

My Godin LGXSA is 14 years old and never had and issue with subsonics , only issue was a piezo saddle
that I had to pay attention to because it broke stings . I solved it , and still use the same saddle with no more
sting breaks any more .

It's a beauty can not say enough or too much positive things abut it .

HR

Rhcole

I've had 5 13 pin guitars. My current LGX-SA is my favorite of the lot.

GuitarBuilder

My favorites are the Fender Roland GC-1 (with a few mods) and Brian Moore i81.13.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

Charles Beatty

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on February 15, 2017, 04:28:27 PM
My favorites are the Fender Roland GC-1 (with a few mods) and Brian Moore i81.13.

Does the Brian Moore interface well with Boss GP-10 and Roland GR-55?  Is subsonic filtering necessary?