2017 Winter NAMM - January 19–22, 2017.

Started by Litesnsirens, December 27, 2016, 09:13:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Litesnsirens

With the near year fast approaching, winter NAMM is just around the corner.  I'm pretty sure it's just another opportunity for me to suffer some deep disappointment, but I continually hold out hope that a new GR** version will be announced. 

Roland is the only company out there that has anything like this, I think the GR55 was a step in the right direction offering the guitar, amp, and effects modelling along side the synth capabilities.  I think from a marketing standpoint you need to make the synth side of it seem like a bonus to a stellar guitar set up. So they need to beef that up to get more people interested.  It's not necessarily where I would like the focus to be but I think it makes sense and I would approve of any decisions that keeps the R&D moving along.

Line 6 started the ball rolling with guitar modelling and have continued to make improvements.  I prefer Roland's guitar modelling over Line 6's.  a) you're not carrying the weight on your shoulder and b) the acoustic models aren't so boomy.  Other than that the models are comparable enough. 

Triple Play has amazing tracking but you need a soft synth and some sort of tradional and separate set up for your guitar tones.

Amp modelling effects rigs like Helix and Axe FX have taken modelling technology to a new level.

In a way they are all helping with the buy in of the GR technology. 

I've heard so many people say this tech is a niche market, which it is, but give players a reason to choose this device.   There are 3 different markets up there that Roland can swallow up with the right product. 

The toughest would be competing with Axe FX or Helix but at least those companies got a portion of the tone snob population to join the 21st century.  That's a good thing.  I don't think Roland has to get to that level but they need to at least make it into the conversation.  From there all the other features that a GR offers may sway some players to overlook a minor gap in the amp modelling. 

Anyway, these are the thoughts that keep me hopeful that something spectacular is in the works in Roland's Area 51 and it's with these thoughts that I wish a very Happy New Year to all my V-Guitar Forum family.

whippinpost91850

Smash

GR technology needs simple, effective GUI. Sub menu upon sub menu is a turn off to the average guitarist - probably why EHX pedals do so well. Guitarists are tactile - twiddling and stomping on things. Maybe they should adopt a dual menu system - choose easy and normal GUI mode. I never understood the VG99 until I started using the PC editor which is far more visual. Menus are the turn iff

gumtown

Does seem the current direction of Roland/Boss gear,
easy GUI + simple operation.
But I do not want to see advanced features disappear.
I think they should opt for a user selectable 3 tier mode menu system.
EASY
NORMAL
ADVANCED
depending on the abilities of the end user.

Many may recall my ideas on the GK system too,
I think the next/future GR or VG product should use a GK pickup system which is fully digital at the guitar,
which utilises a regular 1/4" guitar jack.
Plugged into a regular analog chain, the 1/4" jack operates as a normal pickup guitar.
Plugged into a VG/GR system, the 1/4" jack is powered by the controller, and automatically operates as a digital GK system.

This would make the GK interface seemingly transparent, using ordinary 1/4" guitar jack and guitar cables.
The system is certainly do-able, DC power and radio frequency data in a hybrid configuration, using a simple HP + LP filter. (same concept as the old TV masthead RF amplifier).

I don't really want to see a GT-1 type replacement of the GR-55 (which would be like a GR-20 again), and also want to see a VG-99/VB-99 replacement too.
My ideal would be another system like the GR-55, with all the offerings of the PCM + GR/SY-300 synths, amp modelling, and dual effects engine like the VG-99 (GT-100 x 2).

But I fear the next device will be a simple compact 3 button simple to operate thing....
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Majiken

+1, Gumtown!

Would the digital 1/4" jack option be wireless-capable as well? Gotta be a way, maybe right now technically doable but not (yet) commercially viable?

I'd get a VG-99 upgrade in a heartbeat!
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

whippinpost91850

This would open up the Gr stuff to a lot more Guitar Players. They could just do a basic Plug&Play with no special cable

shawnb

Hmmm... 1/4" both digital and analog...  Sounds like the Dark Fire to me... 

I think it's still a bit much for the masses.   

And 5 years later, that digital interface will be unavailable on future computers.   (Like the Dark Fire's dependency on firewire...)

At some point, that DF is going to be a basic analog only Les Paul Studio.   I suspect other analog/digital combos will go the same route. 

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

bcbeak

The wireless features of the Fishman Triple Play ... would be an easy (but huge) upgrade for the GR55.
Country Musician:
Pedal Steel Guitar, Fiddle, Banjo, GR55

gumtown

Quote from: bcbeak on December 28, 2016, 11:33:16 AM
The wireless features of the Fishman Triple Play ... would be an easy (but huge) upgrade for the GR55.
but it only carries midi, meaning audio for guitar modelling would have to be omitted.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Litesnsirens

For me, at the end of the day, wireless would be great but not essential.  1/4" would possibly attract interest from player's who have yet to embrace this technology, but regardless of the form factor of the cable, it's still going to require a hex pickup and some special electronics.  So, some value, but for me it would mean somehow retro-fitting my two Roland ready guitars.  I'd prefer not to but if it's the way forward and keeps the tech alive, I'll bite. 

What is essential, is that it plays great.  No noticeable latency or glitching on the pcm tones and more full featured guitar set up.  As simple as that sounds I know it's a tall order.

Elantric

FWIW - I know wireless is a big deal to many here. but for me a well installed GK-3 with a well cared for GK 13 cable provides freedom from batteries and freedom from the wireless latency aspect of the system  - both remain issues and part of any wireless GK equation.

And with each new year the highly variable and crowded RF spectrum at each live venue, ( with higher susceptibility for disconnects and data drop outs as more people attend the show,  i.e. more cell phones near the stage at the venue)  the benefits of a wired connection become a desirable feature for me     

Majiken

Steve, I understand that position and concern very well, especially now that I have confidence in my 13-pin system with the Gittler cable and tfhe Synth-Linx jack in my LGX-T- went from system uselessness to 100 with those 2 things  :D. I do live sound too on a small-to-mid basis, planning on the followup mixer to my Presonus 16.0.2, but am convinced that I will rely on a 30-meter LAN cable vs. wireless dependence- I already use my Ipad 2 for wireless control around the venue & on stage, so that part is covered; the difference between my old analog 16/4 multicore and 30 meters of LAN cable with the security of running hardwired will be enough of a convenience win for me.

That said, I miss the excitement of jumping on a table out in the audience as in my top-40 days many moons ago, getting folks so excited about the show effect that they didn't realize how rudimentary my playing actually was  :P!  Of course I would always have a cable available as a backup, and it's required until further notice for GK apps anyway.
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

Elantric

https://www.namm.org/thenammshow/2017/articles/attend-2017-namm-show

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/namm-2017-guitar-news-rumours-teasers-and-predictions-646088

Held every year in Anaheim, California, this trade-only event sees the world's biggest (and smallest) developers and manufacturers gathering together to show off their latest products for guitarists, hi-tech musicians, drummers, DJs and many others.

We'll have to wait until 19 January to find out exactly what these companies have in store for us, but as ever, our appetite will be whetted up until then with teasers, rumours, previews and - whoops - the odd leak or two.

To ensure you don't miss out on anything the pre-show hype machine churns out, we'll be updating this page with all the news (confirmed or otherwise) that comes in, as well as posting our own predictions.

So, if you want to know what will/might/possibly won't happen at NAMM 2016, keep it right here...

Guitars

Revived amp brand Supro is launching its own range of guitars, according to a tab on the company's website
Fender has already dropped all the info on its American Professional line, but we can expect to see its Custom Shop model for The Band's Robbie Robertson on show, and possibly even a Ryan Adams signature model. Then, of course, there's that Bluetooth amp we've been hearing about...
Jackson has had an incredible run of signings of late, so we're eager to see its new models for Marty Friedman, Gus G and Slipknot's Mick Thomson
PRS has already unveiled a complete revamp of its SE line, as well as a trio of new Core models, but we've heard whisperings of an amp or two on the way...
Epiphone will likely be showing off a blinding run of releases at the tail-end of 2017, including the Joe Bonamassa Firebird, Brendon Small 'Snow Falcon' Flying V and Korina V and Explorers. Will there be more?
Schecter has already splurged its complete line-up for 2017, and it's as varied as ever
We've got wind of a whole new company and a rather impressive-looking new product, with considerable lineage. That's all we can say for now, though...
Other than the return of the Way Huge Camel Toe, Dunlop has been suspiciously quiet recently - could we expect something big?
Last year, IK Multimedia unveiled the iRig Acoustic, but for 2017, it will introduce technology that takes acoustic guitar players a "major step further" - intriguing...
TC Electronic must be exhausted after launching 13 new pedals back in October, but the great Danes are bound to bring something else to the show
ESP/LTD has revealed a raft of new guitars and basses already, including signature models for Mastodon man Bill Kelliher and Rancid's Lars Frederiksen...
Blackstar's only just updated its ever-popular ID:Core line to V2 specs, but we're expecting more amps on the way
Ernie Ball has already revealed new looks for most of its existing models, but will there be new guitars on show?
Gretsch has just introduced a Cliff Gallup Signature Duo Jet and a trio of limited-edition Falcon and Penguin guitars, but we'd expect a few more - new affordable Streamliner models, perhaps?
Martin has revealed its unbelievable 2 Millionth Guitar (which boasts a built-in watch) and £127k D-200 Deluxe acoustics, and has plans to expand its 16 Series line with three new Fishman-equipped electros, but you just know there will be more...
The Gibson Acoustic range is already out there, and the Mark Knopfler Les Paul will no doubt be on show. Despite the fact that you can buy a few of the electric models already, the 2017 range is still yet to be finalised, however. Who knows what it could hold...

Elantric

EXPERIENCE THE NAMM SHOW IN 360° VIRTUAL REALITY

As a special thank you to our loyal Roland and BOSS Backstage* members, we're sending a FREE pair of Roland VR (virtual reality) goggles to the first 1,000 signups. Use these goggles during the 2017 NAMM Show, January 18–22, 2017, for an immersive 3D video experience.

https://www.rolandus.com/go/360/

Elantric

AVID NAMM BLOG
http://www.avidblogs.com/namm/

Join Avid at NAMM 2017 in Anaheim, California, from January 19–22 — or follow the action online. Keep up with our exciting new product announcements. Watch enlightening interviews with top music industry professionals. And see platform innovations that will help you cut through the noise, collaborate and be heard.

pasha811

Can we safely rule out 13 Pin stuff this year?
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

gumbo

Quote from: pasha811 on January 09, 2017, 02:08:02 AM
Can we safely rule out 13 Pin stuff this year?

I really get the feeling that's the LAST thing on Roland's collective minds at the moment...
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Smash

Dear EHX - could you possibly release some of your #9 pedals as iOS apps? Thanks!

Antonuzzo

Quote from: gumbo on January 09, 2017, 04:03:26 AM
I really get the feeling that's the LAST thing on Roland's collective minds at the moment...

It amazes me, but not as much as the low adoption rate amazes me. Everyone, everyone who I've shown my v-gear to, has been floored. Even meat-and-potatoes guitarists who would view a chorus pedal as 'too fancy' have been blown away by the ability to switch between a Tele and a Les Paul, a Marshall to a Tweed.

One friend even took up bass after playing for an hour on the VB-99 - she was upset that the chances of her getting her paws on one were virtually nil, but it was enough to get her interested in the instrument. Another went out and got a VG-8 for next to nothing, just for the ability to dial in alternate tunings and the autotune feature.

I don't blame Roland, really. They must have thought that they were changing the face of guitar with the VG-8 and despite the low sales, listened to the users and brought out the VG-99. They must have invested untold millions on the development of this tech; it's doubtful that they made a profit on it. Instead, their innovations have been taken and used piecemeal by other manufacturers and developers.

Life's always tough for pioneers. And I include the passionate members of this forum in that.

Elantric

QuoteIt amazes me, but not as much as the low adoption rate amazes me. Everyone, everyone who I've shown my v-gear to, has been floored. Even meat-and-potatoes guitarists who would view a chorus pedal as 'too fancy' have been blown away by the ability to switch between a Tele and a Les Paul, a Marshall to a Tweed.

Among my local guitar buddy's in my town - just about NONE of them are interested in the 13 pin gear I own and use, had to start this forum to seek other kindred spirits interested in going beyond traditional guitar tones  - just to have conversations about this stuff ;) - and correct many misconceptions

How the "13pin MIDI Cable" killed Roland's Hex PU GK COSM VGuitar modeling brand
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14088.0

Most of the locals in my town are only interested in seeking (or playing) this rig below

drbill

Add a boardfull of analog pedals & you've nailed it here, too.
GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP

Antonuzzo

Quote from: Elantric on January 09, 2017, 09:39:37 AM
Among my local guitar buddy's in my town - just about NONE of them are interested in the 13 pin gear I own and use, had to start this forum to seek other kindred spirits interested in going beyond traditional guitar tones  - just to have conversations about this stuff ;) - and correct many misconceptions

How the "13pin MIDI Cable" killed Roland's Hex PU GK COSM VGuitar modeling brand
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14088.0

Most of the locals in my town are only interested in seeking (or playing) this rig below

Guitarists can be a chauvinistic bunch; even in 2017 there's a tendency to listen with their eyes. It reminds me of the flak that Allan Holdsworth got for Atavachron - still my favourite AH album, in fact.

Applause to you for setting all this up, it's a great community and it's all down to your hard work!

Smash

Quote from: Antonuzzo on January 09, 2017, 06:01:43 AM
It amazes me, but not as much as the low adoption rate amazes me. Everyone, everyone who I've shown my v-gear to, has been floored. Even meat-and-potatoes guitarists who would view a chorus pedal as 'too fancy' have been blown away by the ability to switch between a Tele and a Les Paul, a Marshall to a Tweed.

Yep had those conversations - it all goes well until they say "So how do you choose the tones" - as soon as the menu's start opening you've lost them!

The guys behind the tech should not be allowed anywhere near the user interfaces - that's when you start suffering deep menu thrombosis :)