VG-88 - Just got a VG-88 after breaking up with Roland few years ago...

Started by MrSparkle, March 02, 2014, 06:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrSparkle

Having a lot of fun.

Longtime GR (300, 20, 30, Axon) and VG-8 user over the years...

Long story short, the GR-55 was a honeymoon high before I started getting really disgruntled. I somehow managed to trade it in for a VG-99 at the same price-point basically... I really liked the 99, but decided the 13-pin cable was a nuisance, and just ultimately budgeted out most my gear for an AxeFX 2.

Well, fast-forward 2 years.. I've been missing 'polyphonic' processing. Found a VG-88 for $180 with a GK2a pickup (missing a lot of mounting hardware but at least it works), so I impulse bought it.

Having a LOT of fun.

#1. Surprised how good it sounds in the loop of the AxeFX (using the Axe's studio comp, paraeq and reverb).

#2. The modeling is really good! I had never done myself any favors by using beat up Roland KC amps with previous 13-pin stuff. The Axe forced me to get a QSC K10, and A/B'ing the 2 processors... Sure they're a lot different, but the VG-88 really hangs well. Maybe my used VG-88 had a really good owner? The patches sound very good.

I was hesitant to get the 88, because I heard it lost some of the quirky VG8 synth sounds that I liked, but honestly, it retained all the stuff I wanted, and the guitar modeling is better. Happy days!

shopstartuk

Hi

How does it compare to the GR55? I am thinking about replacing my GR55 with a VG. Is the guitar modelling better? Are there still good keys and synth sounds?
Fender Strat Plus Delux
Fender Tele 60th
Roland GR 55

Elantric

VG-88 is 1999 tech, COSM Amps sound similar to Boss GT-8

Does not have 24bit audio like GR-55, but VG-88 does have far more control for its zero latency COSM Guitar modeling processing

Review the manual
http://www.roland.com/support/article/index.cfm?q=manuals&p=VG-88

shopstartuk

Hi Elantric

Thanks for the info. Do you think the VG88 has better guitar modelling than the GR55? Would I be better getting a VG99?
Fender Strat Plus Delux
Fender Tele 60th
Roland GR 55

Elantric

No

The VG-88 COSM Model tech is 12 years older, running on slower DSPs and only 18 bits (not 24 like GR-55) although both VG-8 and VG-88 included deeper non guitar HRM synths not found in GR-55.

RTM

QuoteWould I be better getting a VG99?

VG-99 has the best user controls to access the sounds and its 24 bit (sounds very good).
But  most current production Roland products(GR-55,GP-10) have good sound, but fewer paths to access user control over them

RogerVG8EX

The VG-8 was the only guitar processor that included the VIO guitar, which is the sound of "1000 years" from Sting