Roland BA-330

Started by Elantric, September 08, 2011, 10:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

I will have a Roland BA-330 here next week.

I needed a battery powered grab and go stereo full range PA/amp for busking at the pier with my surf band.
Probably use the new Zoom G3 as my main guitar processor in this situation ( I love the G3) , and hopefully (oneday) augment that with a custom  battery powered GR-55

On Internal AA cell battery power , The BA-330 pumps out 10 watts RMS per side (20 watts total)

Running on External 100-240VAC power adapter , The BA-330 pumps out 50% more power =  15 watts RMS per side (30 watts total)

While its not a replacement for my Traynor K4,  its interesting to note the Roland BA330 runs 10 hours on eight AA cells, and provides 109dB SPL at 1 meter, even when running on these internal AA Batteries. It must have very high efficiency speakers.

At 28 pounds weight, its far easier to lug around to rehearsals than the K4.

Interesting that Roland provides a 12.5VDC @ 4 Amp AC power adapter that uses a beefy 4 pin XLR connection, which savy BA-330 users have identified as having the same XLR pinout as industry standard Mobile Lighting Power packs used by wedding photographers.

http://www.roland.com/products/en/BA-330/features.html

Portable Stereo Digital PA System

Whether battery powered or plugged in, the BA-330 delivers high-performance sound that defies its size. Its digital stereo amplifier drives four 6.5" stereo speakers and two tweeters, positioned for wide stereo projection. It's the ideal, all-in-one portable PA solution for small music venues, worship events, conferences, seminars, business meetings, and much more.

All-in-one portable digital PA system suitable for use anywhere
    Powerful high-quality stereo sound for audiences of up to 80 people
    No setup required, just plug in and go!
    Powered by AC power or eight AA batteries
    Four custom-designed 6.5" speakers and two tweeters for wide stereo projection
    Built-in effects: EQ, reverb, delay, and wide (on/off per channel)
    Four-channel configuration: two channels for mic/instruments plus two channels for stereo inputs
    Stereo Aux input with dedicated volume-control knob
    Advanced Intelligent Anti-Feedback function
    Built-in tilt-back stand enables optimal monitoring angle
    Speaker-stand adaptor for mounting on a standard speaker stand

sonnyv

I like this unit, Elantric

It would suit my needs, even though I would probably never need to use it with batteries.

I look forward to your review on it. Besides the overall sound, I'm wondering:
1. How much of a stereo effect you can get with the speakers side by side?
2. How much volume you can get from 20 to 30 watts?

$600 for 30 watts sounds steep. Please let me know if you've found any special pricing.

mbenigni

Sounds like an exceptionally well-thought out product.  Price per amperage may seem steep but there are a lot of cool features to take into account.

I'm looking forward to your opinions about the tone.  It'd be great just for listening to MP3's on the back porch, but unless it's also a decent guitar solution I couldn't justify the ~$600 cost.

Elantric

I located the BA330 from an Ebay seller who is a Roland Dealer, selling an in store demo unit (with full warranty) for $419.
But I doubt i would pay the going rate of $699 for one of these.

The BA330 delivers clear stereo sound and sitting on the floor is "just loud enough" for my needs for low volume acoustic music - but its not going to keep up with a powerhouse Rock Drummer.

Mount it on a pole and plug in the AC Power and it will deliver more SPL.

BA330 is not appropriate for Bass Guitar or heavy drum backing tracks.  (Its NOT a replacement for Traynor K4 ( by a long shot!))

with all volumes maxed out, you can easily hear the non defeat-able compression circuit in the BA330 Stereo Power Amp, to prevent clipping, but does render a pumping volume level change with Drum heavy music 

The good news is the BA330 delivers clear sound, 6 channel mixer with FX and anti-Feedback, and ability to link and integrate and augment a  larger gear setup and run on 8 AA Batteries.
But its only 30 watts and (NOT 300!) I doubt I will break any noise ordinances with it.

After a 10 minutes audition on my lunch break today, I observe the BA330 to be about as loud as playing thru TWO  Roland Cube Streets.  (or One Roland AC-60)

Lately I play through a lot of Roland amps. (Cube80XL, Cube Street, AC-60, and now BA330 with a Zoom G3)

My Main amp for most gigs with my Surf band is a Roland Cube 80XL, and I have NEVER  been in a situation where that amp was not loud enough.
I gave my older Roland Cube 60 to my rhythm guitarist, as this makes it easier for us to travel to gigs in my van.

We used to use vintage Fenders (Pro Reverb, Super Reverb, Vibrolux Reverb, Twin Reverb)  - but we save money with the Roland Cubes - they deliver 90% of the tone, and zero tubes to wear out, and much easier load in/tear down.

tekrytor

The BA-330 looks like a great amp. Does it come in "blue"?
Just kidding. I know, it comes in black or white.

How's the BA-330 working out for you Elantric?
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

barron

Bumping this old thread as I've been looking at these battery operated pa systems. Anyone using one of these?

Elantric

I have one

Read my review above

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4454.msg30310#msg30310

QuoteThe good news is the BA330 delivers clear sound, 6 channel mixer with FX and anti-Feedback, and ability to link and integrate and augment a  larger gear setup and run on 8 AA Batteries.
But its only 30 watts and (NOT 300!) I doubt I will break any noise ordinances with it.

The good news is that the BA-330 can be used as a Mixer  / stage monitor and it has stereo Line Outputs that can be used to feed 2 separate Hi wattage  self powered Cabs - like a pair of Alto TS110A or EV ELX112P. Then You have a complete PA.