Steinberger Tuner Upgrade G-707

Started by merman93, January 31, 2015, 07:38:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merman93

I've been upgrading many guitars recently, ( I'm in semi-retirement and getting bored), and the latest one that I'm working on is my Roland G-707 guitar. I have contemplated  installing Steinberger tuners on this one for a while, and finally did. Wow! Not only do these work incredibly well, but they look fantastic also!
40:1 ratio. No other tuner claims that. The locking mechanism is simple and effective. Uni-Directional, works on right or left head stocks. Honestly couldn't find a single thing to complain about.

Next upgrade on this one is installing BareKnuckle Pickups, using FU-Tones' PMS, Direct Mounting Pickup System.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Fender Deluxe Players Strat (GK KIT)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
Hamer Phantom A7 (24 pin)
BX 13 (24 -13 pin converter)
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

Headless68

Looking good - steinberger gear is excellent

merman93

Yes indeed, Steinberger gear IS excellent. I've been lurking on eBay for years hoping to find a good clean GS model. I've noticed a trend,.. older US models bought up years ago, now getting Top Dollar after being renovated by Babicz. Nothing wrong with that, but the pricing is way out of my range.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

Headless68

yes - I was looking at that GS neck on ebay a couple of weeks ago but it went way too high price wise.
Last GS I owned I sold for £750 - Wish I would have held on to that one :-)

thebrushwithin

Nice idea! Any alterations, or do they pop right in?

merman93

Quote from: thebrushwithin on January 31, 2015, 10:04:48 AM
Nice idea! Any alterations, or do they pop right in?
Well, yes but real easy mods. First requirement is the modern size hole, 10mm which the Roland already has. Instead of the typical pin hole on the back of the headstock to keep the tuner from spinning, you need to drill a small pinhole on front of headstock on the "nut side" of the tuner hole. Of course it is covered by the tuner flange. On the Roland G-707, there is a plastic cover over the entire headstock connected to the stabilizer bar. it was really easy to drill through, and wasn't deep enough to touch the wood.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9