EHX C9 - Organ Machine

Started by Elantric, December 03, 2014, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

http://www.ehx.com/assets/instructions/c9.pdf

The new C9 Organ Machine springboards off the revolutionary B9 to mine another rich vein of classic gold and provide players with nine more definitive organ and keyboard sounds.

The C9 will transform your instrument into a convincing full body, electric organ or vintage electronic keyboard. For each preset chosen, it also provides precise control over important elements of that sound's sonic fingerprint like percussive click, modulation, attack/sustain, drawbar setting or high frequency content. Blend your dry signal to create beautiful layers. Lovers of classic organ and keyboard rejoice!
http://www.ehx.com/products/c9

Elantric

Nice Bill!

QuoteMOD KNOB
MOD controls the speed of modulation. Modulation can be completely turned off
when MOD is set fully counterclockwise. The type of modulation is contingent on the
preset selected. The different types of modulation available are vibrato, tremolo and
chorus. See the preset descriptions for modulation type.

First thing Id do is add an external Expression pedal input to control "Mod Knob"!

I figure in a month these guys will offer a mod kit to do exactly that

http://www.jhspedals.com/products/mod-shop

mbenigni

As I've said before, I'd like to see JHS offer a B9 mod adding an expression pedal input that crossfades between dry and organ tones on the organ output.  The only effective way I've found to use my B9 is in conjunction with an EHX Next Step Pan pedal.  These work really well together, but the Next Step is tough in that it won't park anywhere besides toe-down (in my set up, dry guitar.)

The only alternative to the Next Step Pan that I'm aware of is the massive Ernie Ball Stereo Volume/Pan, but this is unbuffered, pans to separate outputs (whereas the EHX Pan will blend - awesome feature), and doesn't compensate well (alternate pan-law curvature) for volume dips when tones are blended.  So by the time I'm done with that approach I've got 10lbs of Ernie Ball pedal, an ABY box to blend, and at least one buffer pedal to control signal bleed... and it still doesn't sound as good as the Next Step.  :(  (This is exacerbated by the fact that the B9 is a bit fussy about sharing power with any other pedals - it gets noisy if it doesn't see the power supply EHX provides, and it gets noisy if anybody else is piggybacked onto that power supply.  In turn, the EHX Pan pedal eats batteries like m&m's, and attenuates badly if they're not fresh.  Catch-22.)

Best solution would be controlling the B9 itself via exp. pedal.  I'd love to see EHX do this from the factory in a subsequent (obviously more expensive) version incorporating the tones from the B9 and C9 (preset storage, please!)  Ideally, you'd be able to crossfade between dry guitar and organ, specify whether these are mixed to the organ output or routed to their respective outputs, and use the dry and organ knobs to indicate max. levels.  (Example application:  kill the dry knob to use the expression pedal as an organ volume; kill the organ knob to use the expression pedal as a guitar volume.)  But it doesn't have to be this complicated... just brainstorming.  :)  Any of the above would be great, really.

mbenigni

P.S.  Awesome pedal and demo.  I'm always blown away by your playing, Bill!

joaobraga

Nice sounds to play on guitar
As always, great demo Bill!

aliensporebomb

Bill's playing on this was great - his fingerings during the Doors cover and the walking B3 things were right on!

I'd love to mess with these pedals but the 99 can do some of this too I know but the fact this can be done sans hexaphonic pickup shows the direction things are headed.

Very cool pedal and the fact it can work together with the other organ pedal shows EH has some cool thinking going on!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

jburns

i always love these EH videos!! so great to watch demos seeing what things are capable of rather than the normal dumbed-down salesman approach

chrish

I thought this was interesting. It's a eurorack version of the C9 pedal.

http://www.addacsystem.com/product/addac700-series/addac709c

Description
The ADDAC709C is an official recreation of Electro-Harmonix's C9 Organ Machine pedal which is meant to "transform the tone of a guitar or keyboard into that of a convincing electric organ". Well here it is ready for your modular system!

Feed it with any audio signal you want, and look to be surprised. EHX's polyphonic pitch tracker makes any waveform turn into amazing organ timbres, the three audio inputs makes it easier to achieve polyphony removing the need for an external mixer.

In our 709C, the EHX C9 control-knobs ORGAN (volume), MOD (modulation speed) and CLICK (percussive attack level) have been preserved. The DRY volume knob has been replaced by the INPUTS MIX. In ADDAC's Organ Machine this knob controls the volume of the input signal(s) to be processed, i.e. a value of 0 will mute the module. You also have control over each inputs individual volume through three dedicated multi-turn trimmer pots. The dry/wet MIX OUTPUT will let you control the percentages of dry and wet signals present at the output. The ORGAN and MIX SATURATION trimmer pots amplify or attenuate their maximum volume values, here less saturation generates sweeter and mellow timbres while more saturation generates nasty growling organs.

The 9 PRESETS* of the original electro-harmonix Organ Machine were kept, but here, besides selecting them with a knob, you are also able to swap them with a CV signal (PRSTS CV).

The 6 CV inputs available in the module let you CV variate its corresponding parameter. Each has a dedicated attenuation knob (ATT.) and an INVERT toggle that change its polarity (and hence the way that attenuation acts).

The AUDIO OUTPUTS section offers three separate outs: INPUTS MIX, DRY/WET MIX and ORGAN.

We can't express how gratefull we are to Electro-Harmonix for trusting us and allowing us to do such module!

* for more details about Presets description please consult the electro-harmonix C9 product guide in http://www.ehx.com/assets/instructions/c9.pdf