GR-55 - Synth Bass

Started by Paddy3, November 05, 2012, 03:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paddy3

I am trying to create a sound on the Roland GR-55 that I am very suprised is not there. I have used this sound from keyboards, soundfonts, vst(s), etc. but I cannot seem to find it on the GR-55. Also, I've played it either on a keyboard or MIDI driven so its exceution have been different. More of a staccato sound unless I so decided to sustain a note. I'd be interested if anyone has found a way to produce this sound as well as how they may have executed it on a guitar. I think Styx's song Mr. Robot had a similar sound. I've included an mp3 sample of thew sound taken from Guitar Pro 6 with the riff I'm using. I need to perform this live with a guitar all synthed up.

fuzzfactory

pcm synth one use a sine wave
pcm synth two try a basic square wave
with the res. turned up a hair, cutoff down a hair
set the filter envelope mod to open the filter just a bit
mess with short attack time and delay time
maybe run the square wave through a small amount of distortion....

that should get you close...

my gr-55 is at the other studio right now but when i go there tonight i will
bring back and see if i can hook you up with a patch that is close.

as far as playing goes...practice those arpeggios nice and clean

forrest

Paddy3

Thanks man, I'll definetely try that. And yes, I'm thinking that it's playing the part in arpeggio format that is doing me in. The strange thing is it seems to sound fine when I'm using the modeller or good ole'fashioned distortion. Because of that, I really wonder what's wrong with my execution. Basically as the mp3 demonstrates, I'm playing a E on the 7th fret fifth string and then the E open on the 6th. However, the higher E seems to sustain over the lower one therby burying it in the mix.