Triple Play Pickup Mounting

Started by danielh002, April 15, 2013, 01:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danielh002

Hi,

Just got the Triple Play this morning and looking to attach the pickup to a Fender Squire USB (my "kick-around" guitar).

The pickup is too close to the string even with the smallest mounting bracket, but seems exactly right without the bracket. Instead of fiddling with neck/pickup adjustments, can anyone recommend a good (and non-permanent) adhesive to mount the pickup to the pick guard?

Thanks,
Dan

macjones

There's double sided tape of varying strengths. I use this myself and it's very handy to have around.

removable

http://www.amazon.com/Scotch®-Removable-DoubleSided-Dispenser-667/dp/B00006IF63/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1366062580&sr=8-4&keywords=double+sided+tape

permanent

http://www.amazon.com/Double-Sided-Dispenser-Permanent-Inches-MMM136/dp/B00004Z47L/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1366062338&sr=8-5&keywords=double+sided+tape

Note: the negative reviews of this stuff, I think, are the result of gravity defeating the bond. Hanging posters probably doesn't work for long.

Also, I must admit im having a bit of fun thinking of the rather numerous ways to mount these. I have received one, but I usually take my time with stuff like this as it has somewhat of a learning curve, as you all know ( more like a ' misery' curve).

Anyway, mounting doesn't seem to stress me out at all  ;D

mapperboy

I've also had pretty good success with 3M double sided mounting tape.  I use one of the thin versions not the thicker foam core stuff.  The thin version (similar to the strips supplied with the GK-3 install kit) will work well if both surfaces are flat.  I have also used the foam core type on more irregular and slightly curved body surfaces but not as successfully.  For significant curves carved bodies, I reverse radius the spacer block for a perfect surface match.
If you do try this method just make sure both surfaces are squeaky clean (isopropol and Q-Tip).
My experience is that if you mis-mount and pry off, the tape won't hold the same for a second attempt, so I strip it off and cut a new strip.
While this is certainly not a fixed (i.e. screwed on) mounting I've used this with GK-3 PU on an Ibanez Artist LP copy with a custom hardwood spacer that's about 5/16" thick (for proper string clearance on this instrument) right next to the Gibraltar bridge and it's still holding well even through travel and light gigging.
"No such thing as spare time.
No such thing as free time.
No such thing as down time.
All you got is life time. Go!"
- Henry Rollins

fr0sty

Have you tried adjusting the ftp height with the little screw driver?  I can't get that bugger to turn at all.   Just curious.

Elantric

QuoteHave you tried adjusting the ftp height with the little screw driver?  I can't get that bugger to turn at all.   Just curious.

Mine works fine - I can adjust height on both sides of FTP PU using the small screwdriver.

Its best to test this with the PU removed from the guitar, and gently adjust the small height screws. On mine these move almost too easily   

thebrushwithin

So....
___Neither of my Godin LGXT guitars have enough height clearance to mount the FTP, which is weird since Elantric has his mounted on an XTSA, and I thought they were very similar guitars.
___My experiment mounting the FTP on a Moog EM-1, was hilarious!!! I may revisit this, and let the guitar play itself for an avant garde composition. It mounted there beautifully, but when the sustainer is engaged, look out!!! Which brings me to this point: piezo saddles, in a 13 pin system are IDEAL for synth. The tracking is impeccable, sustainers of all varieties can be used with no effect on the synth, other than the desired sustain. It would be really nice for Godin to have a piezo driven FTP built in, although the prototype is magnetic. RMC or Ghost saddles driving an FTP - perfect combo! I would buy it!!!
___So far, I have enjoyed the FTP, but have decided it will stay in the studio only, as its tracking is awesome, but not really enough to replace my GR30, in a live setting. I wish Fishman would have included a USB memory stick, with all of the software on it, instead of this user UNfriendly download method. In fact, it is very far from plug and play, which may turn curious guitarists off permanently, to the idea of exploring guitar synth, IMO. I feel they should have released the pickup system, sans any other 3rd party software, as it leads to frustration, and I feel they may regret the package's initial release. My biggest bang for the buck with FTP, is to use it in Ableton live, and just assign it to any of my existing soft synths- no issues whatsoever! I still have no presets in my Triple Play, and may not even try anymore, as it works so well with Omnisphere in Live8.
----Trying to convert the general guitar crowd to synth, should be far more simple, as most guitarists like to buy a pedal, plug it in, and play as they explore its possibilities. That is not what this is presently.

merman93

Im a bit disappointed on this beautiful Sunday morning, after a long night of recording and enjoying my FTP. I had scheduled this time to perform an install on my 2012 Les Paul.
Not happening. Pictures are showing the provided mounting fixture for tuneomatics isnt working. Ive tried both, one has wider openings for older bushings, but both are prevented from lowering to the correct heights by the pickup mount rings. I looked at picks of Burr's Les Paul and he must have a custom piece, or in my lack of sleep im missing something. its sure happened before. BTW, the strat type wont work either, its not tall enough, and too wide.

Any body else attempted to mount a FTP on a 2012 or 2013 Les Paul ? suggestions?

Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Fender Deluxe Players Strat (GK KIT)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
Hamer Phantom A7 (24 pin)
BX 13 (24 -13 pin converter)
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

Elantric

I suspect these FTP mounting gizmos seemed great on paper, but in practice there are too many variables, and Ive never been thrilled with the whole idea (started by Roland) of sand-witching a plastic Mount for hex PU UNDER my T.O.M Bridge.
IMHO Bulk of the supplied FTP mounts are just too large, too wide, too flat, too generic, not arched for Les Paul.

The door is open for someone to design and sell third party FTP Mounting kits, as the existing ones do not deliver their intended function for 50% of the guitar market (arched top guitars) are left to flounder seeking a custom fabricator for a TriplePlay PU Mount.

Its never good news to find you must spend $125 to Luthier to build  mounting shim / bracket for your FTP PU before you can use it.

You did not hear me recommend this, but if you already own a guitar with a perfectly setup GK-3 type PU, leave the old GK-3 PU in place, pop out some screws on the Controllers lift and remove the internal white 8 pin Hex PU Connector from internal PC boards, and trade out the old GK-3 preamp for the FTP Controller - done.

Elantric

the xTSA is totally flat on the top, which made it easy to use  the stock FTP Mounts.
Carved top guitars present a problem and Fishman needs a solution fast.

re FTP on Moog EM-1  Ha Ha We already know thats impossible, ) its because all the magnetic flux fields present on the EM-1 wreak havoc with all mag hex PU's. Must wait for a third party ( or DIY) Ghost Piezo to FTP Adapter (stay tuned).

QuoteI wish Fishman would have included a USB memory stick, with all of the software on it, instead of this user UNfriendly download method. In fact, it is very far from plug and play, which may turn curious guitarists off permanently, to the idea of exploring guitar synth, IMO. I feel they should have released the pickup system, sans any other 3rd party software, as it leads to frustration, and I feel they may regret the package's initial release. My biggest bang for the buck with FTP, is to use it in Ableton live, and just assign it to any of my existing soft synths- no issues whatsoever! I still have no presets in my Triple Play, and may not even try anymore, as it works so well with Omnisphere in Live8.
----Trying to convert the general guitar crowd to synth, should be far more simple, as most guitarists like to buy a pedal, plug it in, and play as they explore its possibilities. That is not what this is presently

Agreed, the only folks with the required patience are total nerds (like us), and I know we are only a very small % of the population

Luckily the iPad path for FTP is already working today, and these early release teething pains will be a silly memory next year.

merman93

My local Luthier, whom I trust, implicitly, and rely on completely, is also a Fishman Dealer. He is going to make contact with his rep on Tuesday, and explain the situation, and see if they have any suggestions. Realistically, I've been shown that it just isnt going to mount on this guitar.

I assumed, since Burr was demoing using a Les Paul, and that their packaging, and commercial images of the triple play include a Les Paul, that they include two different mounts for tune o matics, that the pickup would surely mount without difficulties.

I thoroughly enjoy my triple play, and encourage its purchase and utilization. I have 3 guitars set up with triple play pickups, so this is not a hurdle to my enjoyment, but if a member was planning on installing on a Les Paul look at the pictures Ive posted, and see if mounting is feasible, or if a better option would be to choose another guitar. If you want the most accurate guitar to midi system, the triple play is it.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

thebrushwithin

Quotere FTP on Moog EM-1  Ha Ha We already know thats impossible, ) its because all the magnetic flux fields present on the EM-1 wreak havoc with all mag hex PU's. Must wait for a third party ( or DIY) Ghost Piezo to FTP Adapter (stay tuned).
I had to try the Moog, and had a great laugh! Why would a company like Fishman NOT have this in a piezo format, which is so much a part of their business? Portability is all I can think of. Maybe, if they still have enough success, and I really hope they do, a next gen built in, by let's say Godin, they will utilize a piezo, with tremelo, and an audio USB out( like there newer offerings ), which would allow total wireless for both audio and FTP!!! I, for one, would probably make that my main guitar, as I love every Godin I own (4), and then nylon string versions would also enjoy the FTP. Piezos rule for synth!!!

Orren Merton

And that's not even to mention the lack of left-handed/reverse mounting brackets and adhesive options...

Orren

utensil

Quote from: merman93 on April 21, 2013, 08:36:02 AM

Any body else attempted to mount a FTP on a 2012 or 2013 Les Paul ? suggestions?

Yep I have tried on 3 different Gibson Les pauls and all have the same issue you have, the pickup ring blocks the metal mount bracket. Whats sad is the pickup size is fine it's the bracket that's the wrong measurements.  I can't understand why it's so chunky. Also on both strats I tried the pickup could only fit under the strings without the bracket which means adhesive so not easily swappable to another guitar..thus making the magnetic removable thing totally pointless.

Don't get me wrong it works amazingly even when I crudely slap it on my guitar with scotch tape (which is how I have it installed), I just wish they would have tested the mounts with 2 of the most popular guitar designs.

germanicus

Can you grind down the offending bracket?

Better yet ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-GK-2A-Pick-Up-Holder-4-Les-Paul-Type-Guitars-GR-/140931384744?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item20d02a45a8

(Im in no way affiliated with this ebay listing, but have used one effectively in the past with a gk2a pickup on a Agile 3500 LP clone)
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

thebrushwithin

Especially when it was public ally demoed using a Les Paul

merman93

Quote from: germanicus on April 21, 2013, 01:56:59 PM

Better yet ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-GK-2A-Pick-Up-Holder-4-Les-Paul-Type-Guitars-GR-/140931384744?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item20d02a45a8

Actually, I have 5-6 of the GK metal brackets from various installs,...hmm,..I will have to go to storage this week, as that looks promising. I did manage to install the FTP,(using the provided bracket), on my 2000 Ibanez Prestige Ar which I enjoy more than my Les Paul, and using the strat style mount on two other Ibanez Prestiges, RG 1550, and RGA 121.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

whippinpost91850

Quote from: Elantric on April 21, 2013, 09:24:19 AM
the xTSA is totally flat on the top, which made it easy to use  the stock FTP Mounts.
Carved top guitars present a problem and Fishman needs a solution fast.

re FTP on Moog EM-1  Ha Ha We already know thats impossible, ) its because all the magnetic flux fields present on the EM-1 wreak havoc with all mag hex PU's. Must wait for a third party ( or DIY) Ghost Piezo to FTP Adapter (stay tuned).

Agreed, the only folks with the required patience are total nerds (like us), and I know we are only a very small % of the population

Luckily the iPad path for FTP is already working today, and these early release teething pains will be a silly memory next year.
I've been playing midi guitar for I guess 20+tears.And I'm not completly computer illiterate, But I think Fishman  missed the boat (somewhat like Roland) with there initial offering, If they wanted to bring MIDI guitar to the masses. Most of the unititiated will want to just mount the pickup and plug it into a synth module to get started.I haven't started my downloads yet, but I know I'm gonna find this tedious. I'm 62 and pretty much a live player only. But, having just joined a new band, I am going to have to wait and spend alot of time programming my GR55 for all the new songs I 'm having to learn.
So I'm gonna do some more reading and see the easiest way to try this with a rack synth module (and by the way time is of the essence) Oh well life goes on. Wait a second time and life is what I'm starting to run out of. :'(

whippinpost91850

Quote from: Orren Merton on April 21, 2013, 11:32:08 AM
And that's not even to mention the lack of left-handed/reverse mounting brackets and adhesive options...

Orren
+1000 on this Orren

Elantric

QuoteMost of the unititiated will want to just mount the pickup and plug it into a synth module to get started.I

I do that right now using the method described here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=33157.msg246034#msg246034

merman93

If this request violates any forum regs, please remove or notify me and I'll delete.

I notice many users are installing using blue tac as even the thinnest pickup mount doesn't allow clearance.

I desperately need an extra of the thinnest pickup mount. Would anybody consider selling one? I believe Fishman will eventually sell them but that are not doing so yet.

If so, please post a reply, or PM me.

Thanks for your consideration.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

Zummooz

Quote from: merman93 on May 07, 2013, 03:10:57 AM
I notice many users are installing using blue tac as even the thinnest pickup mount doesn't allow clearance.
Yep, that maybe mine you saw using Blue tack (Black Quilt Strat). It had the 2nd smallest mounting pad under the pickup.
It was just for a test run before using the tape.

Using blue tack for the controller is just perfect !! .... real quick & easy !!
Not so the pickup thou. Really need that set nice / firm / stable. 

Think they will sell them (the pad mounts) one day ... http://www.fishmanstore.com/subgrouping.htm?cat=31074

I know i've found bits from the GK-3 leftover mounting bits and pieces that could be used in some way, on other guitars I have.

You never know someone might need all the higher 2 mount pads where someone else might need the smaller ones, for their guitars.
Just a thought ....  ;D
The  Fact  Is......"We  are  all  tactile  creatures  &  physical  interaction  has  always  been  a  big  part  of  making  music"

merman93

Pickup mount acquired . Thanks all.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

Devin

Quote from: fr0sty on April 15, 2013, 07:27:48 PM
Have you tried adjusting the ftp height with the little screw driver?  I can't get that bugger to turn at all.   Just curious.

Hi guys - new member here. Some of you (aliensporebomb - i remember you!) may have known me as peavey_impact on harmony central; i stopped posting there once they ruined the layout :(

Anyways, i just received my TriplePlay last night and was quite frustrated to find that the pickup height screws on my tripleplay would not turn AT ALL. It felt like the damn screws were going to strip trying to get them moving. The tiny little
Screwdriver they provide was useless, but i was able to get the screw moving using a larger/longer screwdriver.

Note that you must LOOSEN the screws to raise height. This may be common knowledge but doesnt appear to be stated anywhere in the Fishman TriplePlay literature.

I'm plannin on mounting the FTP to my Ibanez Artist; stoked to get started! :)