VB-99 - The VG / VB / GK Megatest

Started by Antonuzzo, February 08, 2014, 06:01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antonuzzo

As promised I have (finally) done a comprehensive mix-and-match test of the various Roland pickup and V-Devices that I have.

The test equipment was a 24-fret Jackson Eliminator bass fitted with a GK-3b, a 22-fret Dean V with a GK-2a and a Rubbish lap steel also with a GK-2a.

Here we go...

GK-2a ( 22-fret Dean V Guitar) and VB-99

As it happens, they play very nicely indeed. No glitches or cutoffs anywhere, even when using a slide on the high E right up to the bridge. Tracking was fine, MIDI was responsive to the same degree as the VG-99. The sounds were a bit odd as you might guess; the fretless and acoustic bass models just didn't sound right on such thin strings.

But the bottom line is: it works.

GK-3b (24-fret Jackson Eliminator bass) and VG-99

This works just dandy. No dropped notes, glitches or cutoffs over the full range of the bass. MIDI is a tad more sluggish - I recall mention of the VB-99 having a faster processor than the VG-99 but certainly, the MIDI on the VB-99 is slow and here it's torturous.

Otherwise, it's fun. Many strange sounds to be had from banjo and sitar patches, but no problems in terms of compatibility.

GK-3b (24-fret Jackson Eliminator bass) and VG-8

Again, no problems! It responds perfectly with no dead notes or glitches. No MIDI here of course, and the banjo patches sound even weirder.

Where this shines is HRM. There are some amazing synth tones to be eked out of the VG-8 and they suit the lower register really well, with a richness and fullness that are unique. I am going to play around with this more.

GK-3b (24-fret Jackson Eliminator bass) and GR-09

The joker in the pack and the only fail in the test. Anything above the 9th fret on the G string triggers (albeit with a noticeable delay), anything else... well, you occasionally get the harmonic. But mostly, it just doesn't respond at all.

Hope this is of interest.

Elantric

Do you know the scale length of each instrument ?

I assume the following.

24-fret Jackson Eliminator bass = 34 inch scale length.

22-fret Dean V = 24.75 inch scale length

Rubbish lap steel = 22 inch scale length

Also Is it correct to assume you changed the VB99 to the shortest scale length available when testing the guitars?

Elantric

QuoteI recall mention of the VB-99 having a faster processor than the VG-99

This is wrong info,  Both VG99 and VB99 share identical DSP and clock speed. Only difference is in the analog front end preamps and firmware.

Elantric

More info here.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2436.0

QuoteI tried it and it track until the D4 which would be like the 26th fret of a 6 string bass.
Over that register , it doesn't track at all.

My guess is that a VG99 doesn't track below A2 .....

The shortest scale is 710mm on a VB99 (28")

Tortuga

"GK-3b (24-fret Jackson Eliminator bass) and VG-8

Again, no problems! It responds perfectly with no dead notes or glitches. No MIDI here of course, and the banjo patches sound even weirder.

Where this shines is HRM. There are some amazing synth tones to be eked out of the VG-8 and they suit the lower register really well, with a richness and fullness that are unique. I am going to play around with this more."

Thanks so much for this!!
I was considering a VBass 1st gen but can't really afford to be putting out that much at the moment so I've been searching everywhere for feedback on a gk3b/VG8EX combo with zero luck. Stoked to hear it works great! And what I'm really looking for are spacey non-bass sounds anyway so I'm glad to hear that the HRM shines for the bass register. There's a pickup at a local pawnshop; gonna go snag it! 🙏🏼

Thanks again!