FC-300

Started by Etolle, December 15, 2014, 12:48:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Etolle

So just how limited am I without an FC-300. I have an old EV-5 but that's about it. I'm curious about the FC, but $450???!!!

Virtual Madness

Hi Etolle,
There are others here that can answer that question for you better than I can, but if you DO get one, make sure to read this first!  :)

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9099.0
The greatest power in the universe is imagination!

Alec Lee

Quote from: Etolle on December 15, 2014, 12:48:56 AM
So just how limited am I without an FC-300. I have an old EV-5 but that's about it. I'm curious about the FC, but $450???!!!
Depends on what you're looking to do with it.  If all you want to to is switch presets, most MIDI pedals will do.  Some advantages of the FC are

• Preset name display
  • Ctrl 1 / 2 use
  • Phantom power via RRC (Ethernet) cable
I wouldn't pay $450 for one but you can pick them up for way less used.  I got a very clean used one for $325 and the only reason I paid that much was because I was impatient.

Etolle

I only use the 99 for recording, I don't perform live or anything. Is there any way to have a couple control and expression pedals hooked up on the cheap?

Another thing is that when somebody makes a patch that utilizes the fc300 and the downloader of the patch doesn't have an fc300, what then?

Its all kind of confusing. I've had the 99 for several years and now I really want to learn this thing inside and out and use it to its fullest potential.

supernicd

Yes.  There are a couple of jacks in the back of the VG-99 for control 3 & 4 and an expression pedal.  You could plug things like a Roland EV-5 and Boss FS-6 into those.  Then you should be able to take  downloaded patches and copy the FC-300 assignments to the internal CTRL 3, 4, and EXP slots.  That should get you down more toward the $100-150 range, maybe less if you can find some gently used ones.

Another option would be something like the Behringer FCB-1010 which sells new for around $150.  A lot of bang for the buck there.  However it would come at the cost of a little more work, as you'd have to set up assigns that react to MIDI messages.  I think a lot of people do use those - it's just not as tightly integrated/easy to work with  as an FC-300 in SysEx mode.  Here's a post on the FCB-1010 with a firmware enhancement, and using with the VG-99:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=32.0
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

Etolle

Thank you!! I have a feeling I'm going to have to get the FC-300. I can get it online for 24 months at 0% financing. GAS is occurring....

vurnt99

The FC-300 is kinda great w the 99. It REALLY is the perfect companion piece to the VG you should be able to find FC-300's cheaper on Craig's List or Ebay. I love it's inherent functionality.Though I wish it was lighter weight-wise (Could SOMEBODY 3D model the FC-300's outer shell & Carbon Fiber Case this puppy!? Please!?)
     The FCB1010 is a viable FC-300 alternative but I just can't stand how physically wide across the FCB1010 is. Ergonomically, it's difficult to place on a compact pedalboard unless it's the SOLE occupant (JUST my opinion-I KNOW it's a popular platform & I have one myself; VERY User-Hackable & the price is right!)

supernicd

Quote from: Etolle on December 16, 2014, 09:02:04 PM
Thank you!! I have a feeling I'm going to have to get the FC-300. I can get it online for 24 months at 0% financing. GAS is occurring....

If you can convince yourself to part with the $, I don't think you'd regret it. This will be the full VG-99 experience.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Elantric

QuoteThe FCB1010 is a viable FC-300 alternative but I just can't stand how physically wide across the FCB1010 is. Ergonomically, it's difficult to place on a compact pedalboard unless it's the SOLE occupant (JUST my opinion-I KNOW it's a popular platform & I have one myself; VERY User-Hackable & the price is right!)

the FCB-1010 has lots of dead space

Here is a shortened FCB-1010 from Russia
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=32.msg57898#msg57898
Midi Foot Controller Behringer FCB1010 (size reduced / Modded (Russian)
http://gasclub.livejournal.com/1167.html

and the Gordius Little Giant Foot Controller is compact  - yet powerful

http://www.gordius.be/midi-footcontroller-products.php

bassman4d521

I got my FC300 for 175 on ebay this past summer - just takes a bit of patience to get one at a good price.

supernicd

Yep, I think I paid $350 for mine on eBay in early 2014.  It was in mint condition (still in the original packaging, etc.) but technically used.  I was not a very patient shopper though - wanted it at the same time the 99 arrived.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

vurnt99

WOW.

That radically shortened FCB1010 mod is A Thing Of Beauty! That would be a Domestic Hit.

Elantric

That radically shortened FCB1010 mod is A Thing Of Beauty! That would be a Domestic Hit.

I'm eyeing doing a similar mod to my FCB-1010  - have to wait until January

Its a fast toboggan ride to the end of the year !

whippinpost91850

Quote from: vurnt99 on December 17, 2014, 03:51:08 AM
      The FC-300 is kinda great w the 99. It REALLY is the perfect companion piece to the VG you should be able to find FC-300's cheaper on Craig's List or Ebay. I love it's inherent functionality.Though I wish it was lighter weight-wise (Could SOMEBODY 3D model the FC-300's outer shell & Carbon Fiber Case this puppy!? Please!?)
     The FCB1010 is a viable FC-300 alternative but I just can't stand how physically wide across the FCB1010 is. Ergonomically, it's difficult to place on a compact pedalboard unless it's the SOLE occupant (JUST my opinion-I KNOW it's a popular platform & I have one myself; VERY User-Hackable & the price is right!)
I,ve been working on a lighter weight chassis for my Fcb1010, but noy quite there yet

whippinpost91850

Quote from: vurnt99 on December 17, 2014, 09:31:40 AM
WOW.

Agree there, I hadn't seen that one. Elantric Thanks for posting, gives me some more ideas

Bryan

I'm late to this party but the FC-300 really allows you to get incredible functional use out of the VG, especially live.

At this point, I don't know what I'd do without it.

On a side note, I really hope Boss/Roland makes a similar board for the GP-10. Not having one available seems kinda limiting for the unit.

teejay

You wouldn't regret getinng an fc300. program it from the editor, tight integration, extra switch / pedal inputs, one cable bi directional operation...
I have two, one in my pedalboard, and one up in the toyroom, my pedalboard is too big to get up the stairs and in that room  ::)

I tried using an fcb when I first got the 99, it works, but it's hard work compared to th fc300 IMHO....

Regards,

TeeJay
Custom KGB headless, internal GK2a and sustainiac stealth plus. GR55 straight into PA.   Guitar out (COSM) feeding digitech VL4 vocal harmoniser.

GovernorSilver

In case anyone hasn't seen this yet, here's Vernon Reid's Rig Rundown:

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Rig_Rundown_Living_Colours_Vernon_Reid_Doug_Wimbish

He's using an FC-300 as his main MIDI program change selector.  Combined with the VG-99 it's the "brains" of his rather complicated rig.