GK 13 pin Cable Maintenance Tips.

Started by Elantric, February 12, 2011, 01:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MisterE

I'm also having trouble with the Roland cable.
When moving the cable, sometimes the sound is cut and I hear a hissing noise.
This can be cured to flip the preset up/down switch.
Very strange.
I don't know if it can be cured with this method or I need a better cable.

technoteacher

I'm using the no name ebay cheap cable with great results and saving my good cable as a spare. So far no problems. Pick up one of the cheapies and save wear and tear!
Mark Evans
Roland MV-8000, MC-909, Godin LGX-SA, Roland Ready Strat, GR-55
Boss GP-10
Crate Acoustic amps

Elantric

QuoteI'm using the no name ebay cheap cable with great results and saving my good cable as a spare.

Its important to note that many (BUT NOT ALL) of the "cheap ebay 13 pin cables" which say "For Roland 13 pin systems" - are actually Clarion or Kenwood Car Stereo CD changer cables  - and have the WRONG WIRING!

A real Roland 13 pin cable will be wired "1 to 1" for all 14 electrical connections (pins 1-13+round metal Ground shield = 14 connections)  at both ends.

Most Clarion or Kenwood car stereo CD changer cables do not use this wiring!!

More details here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2137.0

and note the "Wrong" connections used in "Clarion or Kenwood car stereo CD changer cables " here:
http://image.pinout.net/pinout_13_pin_files/connector_pinout.php?image=Clarion_C-Bus.gif&pinout=

Buyer beware.

whippinpost91850

Anyone know of a source for right angle and straight 13pin connectors? I want to build a more sturdy cable. thanks Paul

A2theT

HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

Elantric

whippinpost91850

been using this and it's even better predecessor for over 25 years

Elantric

Quotebeen using this and it's even better predecessor for over 25 years

Yes - I still own several bottles of Cramolin R5 and R100 i purchased new in 1980!

A little goes a long way!

whippinpost91850

I still have a few cans oh R5 left ,but none of the bottles. We used it all the time when I still Had my Pyramid Guitars in Detroit.

randyrocker

So no one has found a replacement cable for the toland? this makes no sense their are tons of cable builders out their that can wire you up a cable.

Elantric

The best 13 pin cables were D'Addario Planet Waves - but these have been out of production since 2009

Below is what the official  D'addario Planet Waves GK 13 pin cable in its original package looked like:

The hurdle for most third party cable shops is finding an available source for the Locking Male 13pin DIN plugs,

And on ebay the 13 pin cable market is narrowed to a few sellers who frequently try to sell similar Kenwood Car stereo adapter cables (which do not work) for a true Roland compatible cable.

Rule of thumb on Ebay - if you are in dire need of 2 Roland GK13 cables - dont!

Use BPTA cables or the new Gittler Cable, or DET

or

Order the official Roland 13pin cable from the usual sources.

aliensporebomb

What is the best source?  This reminds me a bit of the time when I had my GR system and I guarded that 24 pin cable like it was gold.  I was lucky but I should really have at least 1 good spare, especially now that I have two gk capable guitars.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

gumbo

...judging by the prices being asked for (old) 24-pin cables on the 'net, I think they're STILL looked upon like gold..   :o
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

datsunrobbie

Quote...judging by the prices being asked for (old) 24-pin cables on the 'net, I think they're STILL looked upon like gold..   

It's those 24 pin connectors made of unobtainium. It seems that nobody makes the connectors, so you can't make a replacent cable unless you already have a cable. I do remember seeing that Wayne Joness has come up with a kit to convert the connectors on a 24-pin synth and 24-pin guiar to DB25 computer connectors, enabling the use of a standard 25-pin serial cable.

whippinpost91850

That's good to know , cause I still have Several.

Elantric

Be sure to use Any electrical contact cleaner in a Limited amount - a little goes a long

This is not like owning a can of Finger Ease and spraying every day

Read all instructions -

After knocking off the clear protective coating on the pins on all new Roland 13 pin cable, I  only need to re-apply De-Oxit  once every 12 -18 months later.

Elantric

Now_And_Then

Which would be the best product to use for cleaning the electronics in a guitar?

Jon R Pawlik

There is a US seller on eBay named "detaudio" [http://stores.ebay.com/DET-Audio] who makes "13 Pin Guitar Synth Cable" in 5, 10 15, 20 and 25 foot lengths which have gold-plated contacts in the connectors.  Perhaps this would provide more reliable connections than some of the China clones.  I am using their 15 foot cable on a GC-1/VG-99 setup and it has been working flawlessly, so far.

daveanthony

Does anyone know if the Radio Shack version of DeOxit is just as good?  It's called Radio Shack Anti Corrosive Lubricant Spray. 

Elantric

Bill Ruppert

bryanz

I went to the det Audio page and see no 13-pin connectors.

admin

gumbo

...absolutely agree!
...that's all I use.

gumbo
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...