GR-55 - Help with 'Beat it' intro

Started by fatlad, August 20, 2012, 12:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fatlad

Hello everyone. This is my first post on this excellent forum.

Does anyone have a patch for the opening synth sound in 'Beat it' (The bit before the drums & EVH)
Or a point in the general direction
I'm nowhere near with my attempts so far!!

Thanks in advance for any help

aliensporebomb

That was a Synclavier II if I'm not mistaken which was emulating the distinctive digital tone of a PPG Wave synthesizer.  You can tell it's the Syncla because the PPG sound is more animated.  I'm not sure if a GR-55 can get this distinctive tone but I got pretty near that grainy piercing sound with the VG-99 a while back.

Thinking.....  You might get it mixing both PCM sounds and COSM sounds possibly?  Using the attack of one and the pad sustain of another?
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

mockchoi

This is far from perfect, but suited my needs pretty well.

It should start with the expression switch 'on' and in the heel position.  For the synth part I'd play a Bb on the 1st fret A string and its octave on the 3rd fret G string.  Then a 'G' octave, back to Bb, then it ends on an 'F' octave.  These pitches are all relative because the synths are de-tuned.  Then slowly press the pedal to the toe position for the glissando effect at the end of the intro.

Pressing the toe switch to turn off the expression switch switches to a modeled guitar in the 'heel' position, tuned down 1/2 step to Eb.  Pressing the control switch gives a boost for the solo.  Pressing the pedal to the 'toe' position in the expression off gives a synth again for the 'just beat it beat it' part.

Hopefully this wasn't too much detail, and the patch helps you.  I also hope it's accurate, because I don't have my GR-55 with me and am going by memory :)

fatlad

Big thanks for all your help. Should do the trick nicely

papabuss

Hi fatlad
If you need  a patch for the guitar riff and intro ask me :D
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

fatlad

hi papabuss, thanks very much for the offer, but I don't need it now.
I spent a long time on Beat It. I created a big sound for the intro, not true to the record, but pretty impressive anyway (I thought). Spent a great deal of time on the gtr solo. I thought it sounded pretty good
The band have now dropped it (the ba*****s) - apparently not happy with the vocals.
This is a big downside to owning a GR55. Cant just busk things like I used to
Thanks anyway
;)

papabuss

fatlad

papabuss

THx for posting, fatlad.
P.S. Could you add a short demo/mp3 (because perhaps I had something different in mind..) ;)