Best places to buy a GR-55 - and SAVE $$$ - ?

Started by swooshkid, August 24, 2011, 08:44:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swooshkid

I wish I'd seen this forum's group buy, before I purchased, but since I already did, I have no idea what kind of deal they are getting.

I just want to let everyone know how I went about getting my GR-55 and ended up saving quite a bit of cash as well. At first I was convinced I'd find this on ebay and save some money. That seemed like a good option, definitely cheaper than retail. But then I tried something one day, and got it for cheaper than on ebay, and with a retail receipt:

at GuitarCenter.com

I know it sounds counter-intuitive for those who like to shop after market prices etc. There were three different prices I saw when searching guitar center. I found an actual used 55 by searching "GR55" (no dash) this pulled one up without the pickup for 569 without pickup. Which is a good price, but I need the pickup. Then I found one more by searching with the dash
"GR-55"

This pulled up a new one at
$699 - $799 (with ,without PUP)
then there is a used TAB in the top left area,
click that and they are
$599 - $699 (with, without PUP)

HERE'S THE KICKER: I tried their coupon code going on that weekend, and it worked! saving me another $100
(don't fret, they have this sale every other week, or once a month, sign up for their emails)
I got the GR-55 with pickup for $608, free shipping. This showed up in 3 days, sunday order, wednesday arrival, by the way. I thought this was unbelievably good. Anyone have a similar or better story?

Oh I meant to note, their coupons don't work on USED GEAR right??, and that's what this was being sold on, so why did it work? Good question. I fearfully asked about it on the phone, cause I'm too honest. And the sales lady told me, they were refurbished directly from Roland, and would have all pieces parts paper inserts or whatever in the package. They were basically new. So that's why the coupon worked, they aren't shown as purchased "in store" which is what the coupons aren't for. Anyway you should all be able to get the same deal on any given coupon weekend with GC. Good luck!

Mine arrived in absolutely perfect retail looking condition, by the way. It might as well have been new for my experience with it, it seemed new.

A2theT

Hello Music recently had the GR55 with GK3 for $600

http://www.hellomusic.com/ec/DealMain.aspx?did=7908

I paid $549 without the GK3 from Sweetwater back in the spring but its more $ now I believe.
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

swooshkid

One of the big advantages to GC is that I've got 30 days to return this thing to my local store, if I decide I want a refund   8)  I think a brick-and-mortar return as an option is a big plus, because there's no shipping cost for me.

But with that said, I think I'm keepin this thing! It's too much fun. ;D

Cool to know there is another place selling them that low, thank you for sharing! Anybody else?

A2theT

HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

mbenigni

QuoteBut with that said, I think I'm keepin this thing! It's too much fun.

I'm actually considering buying a second one, just so I won't have to carry mine up and down the stairs!  :o  Definitely watching used prices, retail coupons etc.  Despite it's few faults, the GR55 is a ridiculous value.  Hell, I've got a flanger that cost me $300, whereas the GR55 does just about everything but my dishes for ca. $500!

Elantric

Our VGuitarForums Members only GR-55 Group buy is still available too
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2931.0

GRFreak

Cool Elantra!  I just messaged you to get the info and go!  Can I buy two? :)  I use two GR33s now, one for the studio and
one for gigging and would like to reproduce that.  It's so much easier to not have to pull the studio rig apart.  Hilariously, I use
a GR55 with one of the 24-pin to 13-pin adapters, works fine.  It's my only Strat, weird I know.  I have a Godin and Brian Moore 13-pin equipped that I will be selling.  Putting a GK kit into my Heritage Eagle.  Yes, it's an f-hole jazz guitar but really that
works fine with the GK/GR.  Will be posting some recordings on that forum soon.  Is there a part of this forum that's more appropriate to post the selling of my other 13-pin guitars or can't we do that here?  Thanks, cool forum!

jamato

Hi GR-55 Dudes,

I lucked out in July '11 -- by getting my GR-55 for $600 w/GK3 -- the sale was for one day only ... and since I had cancelled a 4-month wait on a couple of on-line music stores, when I saw the Hellomusic.ocm deal for one day only I just had to respond ... this week I cracked it open and with some great help from the Facebook GR-55 group I got my 2 Godin MIDI boxes up and running with excellent tracking, velocity, etc., etc.

HoosierMan

I got an incredible deal on my GR-55 from RMC Audio.  You have to request a quote to see the price, but I don't think you will be disappointed!

http://www.rmcaudiodirect.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=gr-55&Search.x=35&Search.y=16

atonal

Hi just got mine a couple of days ago from the group buy supplier and to my amazement it happened to be my favorite store just a tad out of state for me so no tax.These guy's are great and i've been doing business and a friendship with one of them since 1979.Extremely knowledgable staff and great prices largest selection of custom shop gibson's and fenders amonst a whole lot of other kool stuff look them up!!

Deacon Blue

I got a great deal from Jackson's Music on Grand Island NY. Got the unit + p/u for $669.00. You wonder what the net cost for dealers is on this thing...
"When your project isn't working, look for the part that you didn't think was important"
www.Bandmix.com/katylyst

Elantric