GR-55 - artists patches on Roland web site

Started by DeRigueur, August 16, 2011, 10:08:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeRigueur

Fender GC-1 -- Boss SY-1000 -- Alto TS112A

Elantric

A2theT

Yes, thanks for posting these links! I've never seen them before.

One interesting note:

On the website theres a warning about protecting your patches.  I know they're referring to the backup process so you don't overwrite your patches but it made me think of something else....  I know there's a lot of people out there who work hard on creating sounds, myself included.  Theres also folks out there that choose not to share their sounds as they earn a living with their gear and feel that there work/time is money and their creation is art and not necessarily for sale. Unfortunately, there really is no market out there for the sale of patches do to the large community effort that exists among all manufacturers.  At one time I had purchased an MFX Supermodels CD for my Digitech GNX3000.  It was around $50 and had a big list of patches with it.  Some were good and some not so good.  This is probably why selling patches has never been very popular as its all personal taste and everyone's rig is set up differently.  i.e. some guys go direct to PA and some guys use an amp that colorizes the sound somewhat. 

If there was a way for patch creators to "protect" their work and/or profit from it somehow do you think it would entice more patch development?   I do.  R&D costs money and I know that if there was a market for Patch sales then I may even work harder at it myself just to see if I could make something that would be worthy of purchasing.... food for thought.
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

gumtown

Quote from: A to the T on August 16, 2011, 12:28:14 PM
If there was a way for patch creators to "protect" their work and/or profit from it somehow do you think it would entice more patch development?   I do.  R&D costs money and I know that if there was a market for Patch sales then I may even work harder at it myself just to see if I could make something that would be worthy of purchasing.... food for thought.
This is one area where I disagree, too many people take advantage of other people's work.
If you look on EBay,
http://cgi.ebay.com/Boss-GT-10-Patch-Library-Manual-Editors-CD-GT10-/170597815598
you will find GT10, GT8, GT6 patch and editor deals for sale, where the guy has collected all the free patches and editor softwares (including my FxFloorBoard) off the web and packaged them all on to a CD for sale.

Another guy here http://www.jameslimborg.com/boss-gt-10-patches-download.html
is sell GT-10 patches for $30.00 each, or $762.00 for the whole bundle of 127 patches (also using FxFloorboard - the editor leaves a signature in the patch data).

Good luck to them, and private enterprise etc.. But the whole concept is not for me, maybe for someone too lazy to figure out how to use the GR-55, but if your that lazy, you might as well get someone to play your guitar for you too.
I'm sure a GR-55 tutorial DVD would be of more benefit for someone to learning to fish to feed the family for a life-time, rather than buying fish for a day. (i think a saying could be made from that).

Maybe i could copy all the patches from here and sell them as a set for $700.00 hmmm  ;)
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

A2theT

With all due respect, I share your view regarding the patch trolls but I wasn't really focusing on that in my response.  I guess what I'm saying is, its too bad there isn't a way for us to protect our work when it comes to making patches.  With that capability we could then choose to:

a) work fulltime at creating some phenominal patches (which I would personally purchase)
b) share our work freely

The thing about it is this.  You generally get what you pay for so you can't complain about the quality of free patches.

My biggest issue is the fact that I'm a gearhead and when I buy a new MFX unit I spend hours and hours trying to recreate sounds I had in my other units.  I'd honestly be willing to purchase a decent set of patches with the purchase of a new modeler.  Would save me hours.  I can't count how many times I've re-made an Eruption patch.. lol ;D
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

Jim Williams

I agree that you both have valid points but I think the purpose of this forum is to learn from eachother. I don't post every patch I make but I do post the ones that others can learn from. Hopefully other users will elaborate and make them better. Patch creation is not something to make money off of and especially in this forum. Gumtown I for one am glad your editor leaves it's mark on patches, at least you will know how useful and important you efforts are.

A to the T, I understand what you are saying your patches are some of the best quality on this site. I have to admit I have used paramiters from your VG-99 patches and applied them to the GR-55. I don't do this out of laziness or lack of creativity, it's because I like your work and I learn from it.

Thank you both for your contributions. :)

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

Kenmac

:o  Great find DeRigueur. I didn't know about this. Thanks for the heads-up on this and for sharing the patches.
"Let them brush your rock and roll hair."

datsunrobbie

Thanks for the links to the patches! As a hobbyist with a tin ear, I find that the patches posted by others are a HUGE help in enjoying the GR-55, as they were for the VG-8 before it. If there were GR-700 patches to be had beyond the one expansion cart I picked up years ago I'd have scooped those up too. I hope to find time to make some patches to send back to the group, but so far I have spent most of the little time I get to use the GR-55 just making my way through the stock patches and the fine contributions made by other posters. I have messed around and created a Rick 12 patch (using Gumtown's awesome Floorboard) that sounds passable to me for playing Don't Go Back To Rockville, which I will back up and post soon. Meanwhile I'm just having a ball taking this rig to open mic and letting people wonder where the keyboard player is hiding

imerkat

Quote from: datsunrobbie on August 17, 2011, 10:51:55 AM
...that sounds passable to me for playing Don't Go Back To Rockville,

But i just moved there  >:(  (jk)