VG-99 - Classic Heil Talk Box

Started by Smash, January 15, 2014, 12:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smash

What is this?
This patch is my attempt at recreating the classic Heil Talk box sound. Really not easy on to do! I know there's been a few of these  - this is me just throwing my hat into the ring (rather belatedly!) ;D

You MUST have an FC300 to play this patch and just like the real thing it needs full range speakers - sorry!

Playing the patch

FC-300 EXP1 is the vocal "sweep" from 'U' to 'A' up to down respectively. there is a definite sweet spot around the first quarter of movement - the trick is not to make fast movements, it tends to sound more natural if you can slow your foot down!

GK3 vol is guitar volume to back off some gain if desired and Exp2 is Roland standard FV volume

EXP1 switch puts it into auto mode which does a sort of touch wah thing so basically responding to how hard you play.

COSM chain A is all for the manual version, COSM chain B is for the auto version so if your going to tweak anything remember to copy across from A to B  8)

Demo

https://soundcloud.com/smashmashups/talk-box-vg99-demo

Hope it works for ya  :)

alexmcginness

HOLY FREAKIN SHITBALLS!!!!!!!!!! NICE JOB. I was expecting something lame but man you nailed this to a T.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Smash

Holy Freakin shitballs? I'll take that!  ;D Cheers bro - remember it needs full range speakers like the real thing

Sometimes it sounds sooo close but you really do have to keep your foot movements calm, almost lazy- and also the sweet spot gets "wider" as you go up the neck - in other words you tend to need greater sweep of the pedal to get that vocalising thing. Have fun.

alexmcginness

I use to own one of the original retail talk boxes. This is really close. I run the 99 direct thru a pair of mackies. Lookin forward to pluggin it in. Nice work.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Smash

Mackie Thumps? How do you find them? - I want to get a pair of powered cabs for live and was thinking of Alto TS112A's

alexmcginness

I use Bills Ruperts advice and eq the low end off of the patches for the Mackies. They are the SRM 450 ones. Im on the road a lot and use a variety of systems that the venue provides. I sub into the mixer on the boats I play on running everything thru a Zoom R-16 as a sub mixer/recorder for the evening. The 99 replaces the guitars I use to carry and the FX boxes as well.

BackDAWman

Quote from: Smash on January 15, 2014, 12:14:51 PM
What is this?
This patch is my attempt at recreating the classic Heil Talk box sound. Really not easy on to do! I know there's been a few of these  - this is me just throwing my hat into the ring (rather belatedly!) ;D

You MUST have an FC300 to play this patch and just like the real thing it needs full range speakers - sorry!

Playing the patch

EXP1 is the vocal "sweep" from 'U' to 'A' up to down respectively. there is a definite sweet spot around the first quarter of movement - the trick is not to make fast movements, it tends to sound more natural if you can slow your foot down!

GK3 vol is guitar volume to back off some gain if desired and Exp2 is Roland standard FV volume

EXP1 switch puts it into auto mode which does a sort of touch wah thing so basically responding to how hard you play.

COSM chain A is all for the manual version, COSM chain B is for the auto version so if your going to tweak anything remember to copy across from A to B  8)

Demo

https://soundcloud.com/smashmashups/talk-box-vg99-demo

Hope it works for ya  :)

I have a GR-55 can this be simulated there. I need that sound! Real bad! I tried loading it into a VG99 editor to see how it works but it wouldn't load.

You use wah? Which one? It appears that the GR55 has a similar entourage of wah models...

:o ??? :'(

Brent Flash

Quote from: BackDAWman on January 15, 2014, 02:52:49 PM
I tried loading it into a VG99 editor to see how it works but it wouldn't load.
Import SMF to load.

BackDAWman

Damn! I see what you did there....

I haven't got a humanizer!

...on to ebay I go!

Smash

It uses a combination of the 7 string wah and the Humaniser effect. It also uses 2 sets of EQ.

The real trick is setting the min max ranges on the exp pedal for both Humaniser and wah.

aliensporebomb

Well if that doesn't totally kick ass.  I'm totally doing a cover of "those shoes" because of this patch!  :)

Kick ass = the vernacular of our times.  Yes, this does.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Smash

;D Cheers Bombmeister!

Hate to admit but I had to youtube "Those shoes" - not big on The Eagles!  :-[

sean_b

if anyone manages to emulate this sound on the gr55, please post.

top job on the vg99 patch, sounds amazing man

papabuss

Hi Smash, (Scott)
ONE WORD : Fantastic!

Reminds me of my first attempts to get this sound over three years ago
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2749.msg16253#msg16253

But yours is phenomenal!

For all those who don't have a FC300 but another EXP Pedal (I use a EV5) I  modified the Control Assignment and put them (the MOD2 Humanizer and the WAH) to this pedal. I experimented with an additional assign to the EXP with the A/B Balance.
I hope this comes close to the FC300 possibilities and your patch.
Once again thx for sharing! I've already had a lot of fun with it.... ;)

FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

Breno

Very good! Congratulations Smash!
Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS200, VG-99, GR-55, FC-300 e US-20.

papabuss

Quote from: sean_b on January 16, 2014, 06:25:42 AM
if anyone manages to emulate this sound on the gr55, please post.
For patch cloning look here..but it won't be easy
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4087.0

Smash

Top man for converting for EV users  8) Glad you like it  :)

rolandvg99

And the Wizard of Essex is back with another great one! Thx for sharing. :)
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

papabuss

Quote from: Smash on January 15, 2014, 03:06:57 PM
The real trick is setting the min max ranges on the exp pedal for both Humaniser and wah.
Yes, I added these parameters to the new patch.
I think this one sounds better than my first quick one from yesterday.
But there's still 'something' missing....Any ideas?
Smash's playing it with the FC300 is still the best! ;)

Smash

Re: GR55 users - if anyone wants to send me a GR55.... :)

papabuss

Scott, just been listening to your demo an (x)th time.....
One of the greatest in this forum.  :)

Smash

Ah now stop it - I'm blushing here!

Plenty of more awesome patches out there I'm sure