FC300 - RRC2 - CAT-5 RJ45 cable to connect to VG-99?

Started by s0c9, February 13, 2008, 07:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumtown

If the cable is the same as an ordinary CAT5 ethernet cable, ensure the locking clip in the center is pressed all the way down while pulling out the cable.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

imall41

I think rah3 may be referring to the cable that comes with the FC-300 (or VG-99, I don't remember which unit included the special cable, with the large metal sleeve that locks into the FC-300).
I had the same issue. I searched here for help, but didn't find any info.
The metal sleeve has a release, but there is no way to release the latch on the cat5 cable itself, inside the sleeve.
The latch on the cat5 cable should've been removed by Roland, on the end inside that metal sleeve.
I knew better, and wish I had thought of that before I attached it to the FC-300.
You need to break off that locking clip on the end of the cable, inside the sleeve, before plugging it into the FC.
I had to completely destroy that cable in order to release the clip, and remove it from the FC without damaging the FC.
I hope someone here has a trick I don't know of, but my solution wasn't pretty.
You might want to wait and see if someone chimes in here with a solution before you perform cable surgery like I had to.

Weed_

Hello!

My RRC2 cable got stuck in the RRC2 input jack of FC300. There is no way to get it out.
I also took the whole controller apart, but it did not do any good..
Any ideas?

Thanks

Brent Flash

You push the little tab and it does not release?  ???

Weed_

Exactly :'( !
It releases a little bit, so I can hear the "click" when it locks back in, but the cable does not come out, it just moves for 0,5 cm.  :-\

Brent Flash

Get a real thin flat head screwdriver and work it in just under the tab that you push. The connector has a slot that the lock goes in, you may be able to get the screwdriver to push the latch out of the slot as you push the tab and the screwdriver in at the same time. Kinda like opening a door with a credit card, if you know what I mean.

Weed_

szilard

There is a document that describes how to replace the housing, it might be helpful to see how it works ...

http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=manuals&p=VG-99&id=1810719

VG-99_l_ethercon_je1.pdf

big_jan

If all else fails, send to a proper Roland Service Center. I had mine stuck too when a use a generic LAN cable. Luckily mine was still under warranty. It took a month to get the parts from Japan to Singapore. Fyi

Radley

Can anyone tell me where I can find a reasonable deal on the unique cat-5 cable that connects the VG99 to the FC-300, and also provides phantom powering?

Thanks,
Hadley

rolandvg99

By one of these from Neutrik: http://www.neutrik.com/en/ethercon/ethercon-cable-connector-carrier/ne8mc
Then get/build a standard ethernet patch/drop cable, break of the security tab and slide the Neutrik assembly over the connector with the removed tab.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

Radley

Thanks for the tip - I didn't realize the Neutric part was just an add-on cover! Are their some cat-5 cables you recommend (for dependability and lay nicely on the ground)?  Thanks again!

admin

The recent Line6 VDI Ethercon cables  do not tangle  can work with VG-99 / FC-300 - AFTER you swap out one end for a standard RJ-45 crimp jack.

Looks like they use VanDamme 268-450-000 TourCat CAT 5E STP Flexible cable
http://www.van-damme.com/38.html

More details on the VG-99 RRC2 cable is here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=28.msg55#msg55
FC-300 Q & A FAQ (Translated from Roland Japan)

Q. FC-300 cable RRC2 looks like RJ45 plug is used, but what is the highly reliable special plug?

A. Yes, RJ45 plug, high reliability Neutrik made EtherCon type plug is used at the FC-300 RRC2 Input.
EtherCon plug and XLR plug both latch when using, Ethercon provides same type connection as RJ45.

Q. Can any MIDI Program change command be assigned to pedals of the FC-300?

A. Patch mode allows a number pedal to be assigned any value of MIDI program change command.

Q. Can the FC-300 pedal transmit MIDI note on/ off output information?

A. Patch mode allows a number of FC-300 and CTL1 pedal, pedal-2 notes any information can be stored.
Also, more than one pedal notes can be stored as a single pedal to operate only in code (chord) can be printed out.

Q. RRC2 cable can be built to custom length, please tell me specs.

A. A Custom RRC2 cable must have the following specifications please.

* At least five categories (Cat5)
* Less than 15 meters in total length
* RJ45 to Ethercon - Wired Straight cable, not "crossover type".

Q. FC-300 can be connected to cable and what equipment uses RRC2 interface?
A. Guitar VG-99 and V-RRC2 cable, FC-300 becomes VG-99 foot controller.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=28.msg55#msg55

The RRC2 Ethercon pinout is
========================
1 = RCV_1
2 = RCV_2
3 = +5VDC
4 = +VREF
5 = +VREF
6 = TXD
7 = GND
8 = GND
SHELL = GND

sixeight

Sorry Cat, wrong cable. The mouse is on the other one...

JehuJava

Can the Ethernet cable normally used for the FC300 be used for the Liquid Foot Pro by any chance?  Anyone try it?

musicman65

The FC300 uses a standard Ethernet patch cable pinout with all 8 conductors wired straight through. Any Ethernet patch cable will do. I've used a 25 footer and I suspect a 50 footer would work too. Anything longer may not since power is sent through the cable and the conductors are tiny.

If your pedal calls for a standard Ethernet cable, the FC300 cable or any Ethernet patch cable will work too.

JehuJava

I guess I'll just plug 'er in and see. Any risk of just testing?

Elantric

I would verify the Liquid Foot Pro requirements.
http://www.liquid-foot.com/product_lfp.shtml
http://www.liquid-foot.com/downloads/LiquidFoot_PRO_v190.pdf

http://missionengineering.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Liquid-Foot+-Series_168.pdf

Expansion   Jack   A   &   B   

Your    controller    comes    prepared    to    integrate    expansion    models    and    other    peripherals    that    will    be    developed.    The   
expansion    modules    come    with    instructions    indicating    the    proper    wiring    configuration.    The    expansion    system    was   
designed   so   that   you   will   be   able   to   daisy   chain   from   one   device   to   another,   allowing   up   to   50   devices   to   be   connected   to   
each   other   at   one   time.   Clearly   this   is   overkill,   but   it's   the   Liquid   way.   

When   connecting   multiple   LF+   controllers   together,   please   use   a   standard   CAT-5   (Ethernet)   cable   from   one   unit   to   the   
next.   The   signals   are   NOT   compatible   with   any   other   manufacturers   equipment   and   should   not   be   used   in   conjunction   
with   other   equipment   unless   specifically   stated   by   FAMC.   These   connectors   are   not   compatible   with   the   LF   PRO   series   
of   controllers.
   This   new   interface   developed   by   FAMC   will   support   all   Liquid   products   from   this   point   forward.   

For   more   detailed   information,   please   see   the   "Master   /   Slave"   configurations   (Working   with   Expanders)   

But what are you connecting the other end of the Liquid Foot Pro "Expansion Port" Ethernet cable too?

I highly doubt it's compatible with Roland RRC2 gear. (and its definitely NOT compatible with Line-6's VDI (Ethercon) Interface too  Remember Roland gear employs CAT5 cables as "RRC2" protocol transport mechanism - RRC2 is comprised of Bi-Directional MIDI data, and Power -  not Ethernet. And Yes- its likely you may "fry" some internal power on the Liquid Foot Pro, or the device at the other end of the CAT-5 cable if you do not do more research.

musicman65

BINGO...what Elantric said!

What you are plugging into on the other end matters. Your LF only supports a protocol developed by FAMC...yes, you can use the Roland cable...but only in applications where the other gear works with your LF...which does NOT included Roland or Line6 gear.

dean2371

Hi everyone, I've just bought a VG-99 and a FC300. Sounds are great, very impressed. I'm not the most technically savvy person, and I could do with some help please. I can get the FC300 to change patches, but I have absolutely no idea how to get it to accept control messages so that i can switch an effect on or off, set an expression pedal to increase drive level or some other effect parameter.

I've got all the manuals, but can't seem to figure it out. Can anyone point me to a simple guide, or better still walk me through the process step by step.

Many thanks

booth421

Mine has been stuck for a few years now.. It is the only problem I have had.. I will try the screw driver thing.. Once I get it out I will replace the dang thing..
Check my solo stuff out at Soundclick.com "Frank Must Die"

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group dean2371!  :)

Do you have the EDITOR installed on a computer yet? If so look at the ASSIGNs. They let you "assign" a controller to something you want to control. If not you need to get that set up because it is so much easier to do with the EDITOR.

Virtual Madness

I'm sorry this is too late to help you, but here is an older thread addressing the same issue.

Quote from:  rah3 on May 03, 2012, 11:33:44 AM
Hello fellow FC-300 users,

My RRC 2 Out cable has decided to not come out of my FC-300. Anybody experience this? Any suggestions?

-RAH3

Quote from:  gumtown on June 01, 2012, 01:32:10 AM
If the cable is the same as an ordinary CAT5 ethernet cable, ensure the locking clip in the center is pressed all the way down while pulling out the cable.

Quote from:  imall41 on June 01, 2012, 05:41:48 AM
I think rah3 may be referring to the cable that comes with the FC-300 (or VG-99, I don't remember which unit included the special cable, with the large metal sleeve that locks into the FC-300).

I had the same issue. I searched here for help, but didn't find any info.

The metal sleeve has a release, but there is no way to release the latch on the cat5 cable itself, inside the sleeve.

The latch on the cat5 cable should've been removed by Roland, on the end inside that metal sleeve.

I knew better, and wish I had thought of that before I attached it to the FC-300.

You need to break off that locking clip on the end of the cable, inside the sleeve, before plugging it into the FC-300

I had to completely destroy that cable in order to release the clip, and remove it from the FC-300 without damaging the FC.

I hope someone here has a trick I don't know of, but my solution wasn't pretty.

You might want to wait and see if someone chimes in here with a solution before you perform cable surgery like I had to.

I'm including this here just in case it can help anybody, now or in the future.

Royce
The greatest power in the universe is imagination!

Virtual Madness

I second that welcome to the group dean2371!  :)

I don't know if this applies to you or not, but have a look at this thread before the same thing happens to you!

;)

Royce
The greatest power in the universe is imagination!