Peavey Impulse 12D

Started by Cups, March 28, 2016, 08:52:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cups

Went into my local store looking to get a Peavey PR12d because it's very affordable. Well, it didn't sound very good;) Ended up putting an Impulse 12d on layaway. Sounded much closer to my headphones and has plenty of clean power. Don't have it with me to really put it through its paces but thought I'd start a conversation about the Impulse. Anybody else try one?

Elantric

Cups

I almost ordered an Alto because of all the great recommendations here. Ultimately I really wanted to hear the speaker I bought. Too many misses in my experience.
Are these the new Alto models? Have you tried these ones?

Cups

Did a quick online search (I'm Canadian) and I can get the alto 212 for about 440$ shipped. Not bad.
I bought my Impulse for 499$ plus taxes and they took a 150$ trade in for an amp I wasn't using.
I think the Impulse 12d is discontinued so there may be some deals out there.

Cups

Gave the Impulse its first test at home. Initial impressions are good; loud and clean. Lots of bottom. The modelled instruments (acoustics, synths but also the modelled electrics) sound huge but my magnetic pu sound a little harsh. So there is going to be some tone fiddling. I would assume as much seeing as I edited the patches with headphones.

I did some further reading on reviews of the 12d and there popped up some reliability issues. I bought my speaker from a store I've dealt with with 25 years so I told the. About the reviews and they are aware of the issues. They said it was first generation problems and said they'd take care of me. And they will.

So. Can I recommend the speakers? They are pricey compared to a lot of the favorites around here( got mine for 600$ tax in) and the reliability issues are bound to keep people away, but if you buy from a source you trust and you get a good deal then by all means, buy these speakers. They do sound clear and loud. Can't wait to try them at a gig. I should update then.

Cups

Done a few gigs with the Impulse. Nice and loud and no problems at all.