BluGuitar Amp1

Started by Elantric, February 19, 2015, 09:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

cgarlie

Somewhat similar to the Atomic AmpliFire, the BluGuitar Amp 1 (http://www.bluguitar.com/english/AMP1.html) is a "pedal amp" -- looks like it should be coming to the USA this fall.

Anyone had any experience with one of these? Opinions?

Thanks,

Charlie

mbenigni

No first hand experience, but I like everything I've read. This guy has a lot of good ideas. I've been wondering when the amp1 would be available in the states, so thanks for posting. I'm also interested in the little ported 1x12" they designed.

I think you're referring to the amplifire above, btw, not amplitube. As far as I know the amplifire is a line level amp modeling/effects solution, whereas the amp1 is actually a full amp including power amp in a convenient floorboard format. Nice!

Elantric

QuoteAnyone had any experience with one of these? Opinions?

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13658.0

Gaul88 wrote>
I've bought the very new AMP1 from BluGuitar  . . . . .
The AMP1 isn't an amp simulator. It is a real full analog AMP with a small tube called nanotube inside.
Lots of reviews, videos an so on, regarding AMP1, you'll find at:
http://www.bluguitar.com/english/feedback.html

whippinpost91850

Just watched the video , pretty interesting. Any one have any word when they might be available in the US. Would love to check this stuff out

Jim Williams

I got an email that states around September-October.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

Elantric

cgarlie

Quote from: Jim Williams on May 31, 2015, 05:16:15 AM
I got an email that states around September-October.

There is a US distributor being set up -- here's the email info I got --

Thank you very much for your interest in the new BluGuitar Amp1!  We are the exclusive US sales company for the BluGuitar line of products and are excited to be bringing our first shipment to the USA in Sept/Oct of this year.

A new website is being created where you will be able to order directly online using your VISA, MasterCard or Paypal.   Expected pricing is as follows:

Amp 1 : $799.99
Remote 1: $349.99
Looper Kit: $249.99
MIDI1: $49.99   

cgarlie

I did a search and couldn't find this, but maybe just missed it.

I'm on the list for a BluGuitar Amp1 and got an email for an early buy -- unfortunately I have to pass at this time as I am short of $$$ at the moment. However, here's the email if anyone else wants to jump on it --

Thank you for your patience and excitement for BluGuitar products!

Since you were among the first to express interest, we wanted to notify you first — BluGuitar has freed up 30 Amp 1's and 15 Remote 1's for delivery to the U.S., expected to arrive today!  The next order from BluGuitar will not be available until end of September/beginning of October.

Our website is now open to receive orders:  www.utrsales.com
***Please ignore the statement on the home page under the title "BluGuitar Products Available This Fall" which must remain for now due to the very limited quantity available at this time.***
All orders must go through the website and payment is by U.S. credit card only.  This email address cannot accept orders.

We hope to see your name among the first 30 orders!

Sincerely,
UTR Sales & Marketing

Elantric

QuoteI did a search and couldn't find this, but maybe just missed it.

Just look in your "cgarlie" Post History here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=1297

mbenigni

QuoteI'm on the list for a BluGuitar Amp1 and got an email for an early buy -- unfortunately I have to pass at this time as I am short of $$$ at the moment. However, here's the email if anyone else wants to jump on it --

If I hadn't just pre-ordered a Helix (well... more accurately, if the Helix hadn't been announced) I'd be all over this.  And an SY300 for effects and general mayhem.

Elantric

Tony Mckenzie wrote>
Full Inside and Out review of the BluGuitar Amp1... with playing at the end first (32:55) by myself then Thomas Blug (36:42) Live. My sound was specifically setup like a driven JTM45 so it sounds completely different than what I might usually achieve with my usual amps. This rather unique floor Amp1 uses a nano tube inside... like a mini tube so you can get some pretty cool sounds from it. Priced well with loads of features. Find out if its really any good? With three distinct 'channels' plus a boost button and reverb this 'amp' has a lot to offer and a lot to deliver on. The BluGuitar Amp1 is well made and you can 'tune' or customise those channels to your exact tones with adjusters on the side of the unit. Check it out!

Thanks to Thomas Blug for showing off exactly what the BluGuitar Amp1 can do (36:42) with his talent and his strat at the music messe 2015 and for that awesome music.

If you like this video then hop over to www.tonymckenzie.com or indeed my YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/tonymckenziecom to see more.

jshortz

We saw Jennifer Batten use this amp at a clinic a couple of weeks ago and it sounded great.
She had a small cab miked.Looked like 1-12.
She was using a Digitech RP1000 for effects.
Great demo of the Triple Play.

admin

admin

admin

admin

admin

Elantric

Been playing my stock  2016 '58 ES-335 blonde VOS (CME Floor Model) into a BluGuitar AMP1 with the BluGuitar Remote1 ten button Footcontroller and BluGuitar 5 Meter Speaker Cable into Boss Katana 212 closed back cab.

Results? Extremely fine tone , great touch response , can deliver a Marshall meets Vox experience on lower gain. Right up to Decent  Modern High gain tone for effortless legato playing.
Very intuitive controls and Steller sound , ( this might have me selling tube amps )

http://www.bluguitar.com/pedalboard.html

Elantric

https://www.musiker-board.de/threads/amp-bluguitar-praxistest-des-gitarrensystems-amp1-remote1-und-looper-midikits.632163/

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.musiker-board.de%2Fthreads%2Famp-bluguitar-praxistest-des-gitarrensystems-amp1-remote1-und-looper-midikits.632163%2F&edit-text=

BluGuitar - practice test of the guitar system Amp1, Remote1 and Looper- / Midikits
by gitarrendiak , 1/25/16 .

Quick links
Tips & Tricks
Questions
regulate
Board Leaders
MB on Facebook MB bei Facebook
Further pages
Clavio GearNews Bassic.de Kopfhoerer.de

Popular posts ★
gitarrendiak
gitarrendiak
On the board since: 2:07:04
Last here: 7:03:18
Place: Eutin
approvals: 20
Cookies: 1017
Created: 1/25/16 # 1
cover photo

Thanks to my fellow musician disssa , I was able to test the amp system developed by Thomas Blug. Thank you to everyone involved for making this possible.

Thanks to the forum member DelayAndReverb, you have already enjoyed a very good and detailed test of the above-mentioned system, and here you can listen not only to the detailed idea of ​​the concept, but also to detailed sound samples of all channels with different pickups. Consequently, in my review, I refrain from describing everything in detail. On the contrary, I would like to comment on this ingenious system in order to answer questions that may remain open as to practical suitability.

1. To my person, the musical background and my required functions on stage ... ..
I am 41 years old and have been playing guitar since I was 16 years old. Musically and playfully, AC / DC and Van Halen have shaped me especially in my first four years. In these 25 years of guitarist existence I came among other things
Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb,
Marshall Vintage Modern,
2 Marshall JVM (2-channel and 4-channel version),
Marshall 6100 Anniversary
Marshall JMP-1 with associated EL 84 20/20,
Peavey Bravo 112,
Peavey 5150,
Rocktron Voodu Valve and Velocity 100,
Boss GT-Pro with Peavey Classic 60,
Line 6 Spider Valve Top MK2
STEAVEN'S Poundcake,
STEAVENS Brian 35 (this is currently my sound within the band)
and various modellers from Line 6, Boss and Vox
under the guitar wings.

These should only be mentioned, so that you have an idea what was involved in finding my sound so.

I really like an EL 34 in the power amplifier of my amp, because it sounds so nice britishly scratchy and therefore most likely to contribute to well-being ...... :-) Consequently, Marshallamps are my priority choice!

I have been playing in a cover band since 2003, which has set itself the task of bringing everything that it finds in the field of rock, pop, NDW and hit in its own style ...... mostly rocking. ( www.die-etwas-anderen.de )
Originally we were five: vocals, drums, bass and 2 guitarists; but have rearranged, so that we are only four since 2008 ...... .also only a guitarist. That's me then ...... this means (in addition to more Gage for each ;-P), that I'm the only melody and chord-forming instrument, so that as soon as possible my sounds have to change. Consequently, anything connected with tap dancing on the pedalboard would be a no-go.

In order to realize this, it is best to be able to change a sound from clean / chorus / reverb to rockboard / delay / wah by means of a footstep. How do you do that best ?? My current setup is therefore a Boss GT-100 and a STEAVENS Brian 35, which now only a 1 x 12er box (Palmer with Eminence Wizard or Palmer with Eminence Legend GB128) fires. Funzt !!

It's probably due to my laziness or my age, but I dream of a set-up that could do with minimal cabling and dragging, but with the maximum in sound. Difficult!!!!!

So this dream means: a suitcase with pedalboard and a 1x12 box. It would be nice, but remains a daydream! At least that's what I thought until recently, when I became aware of Thomas Blug's new guitar amp system. Somebody probably had the same vision as me, but with more know-how and the opportunity to turn that into reality. Bravissimo !!!!! I want to have!!!

Finally, for you the info with which guitars I have used the system:
IMG_3201.jpg
Ibanez JS24P
IMG_3203.jpg
Gibson SG Celebrity
IMG_3204.jpg
Vox Virage 2

2. Amp1 - the 100 Watt tubular amp in the size of a large pedal stand ... ..
First, I would like to go into the Amp1 and describe what advantages and disadvantages have struck me in stand-alone use.
_MG_9827.jpg

Basic sound:
Jup, that's one of the most important criteria for us guitarists. Because what helps the most functional system, if it does not sound. Here I can also praise as other testers and reviewers have already done. The thing sounds very good and especially if you feel at home in the Marshall camp, you will quickly have a satisfied smile on your face. From Marshall Vintage to Marshall Modern, the sounds are well displayed and resolved here. The Clean and the Modern Channel even have a pretty decent American feel when using the side custom controls. My STEAVENS still dissolves a corner better, but we speak here in the price of the factor 3.

As you might have guessed from the other review or the various Youtube films, the Amp1 is a full amplifier, which has a so-called nanotube in the power amp to form the overall sound and to achieve a final stage compression similar to a Vollröhrenamp.

Conclusion:
Well done Mr. Blug! In this category, I come closer to my desire mentioned above: Very good sound with low weight and compact dimensions.

Sound options:
The Amp1 has 4 "sound options": Clean, Vintage, Classic and Modern, plus a switchable and intensity-controlled boost for all channels. As you've probably read, the options Clean, Classic and Modern have so-called Custom Controls, which again make a significant difference in the characteristics of the sound (more about that can be found in the review by DelayAndReverb).

_MG_9828.jpg
According to Thomas Blug, the vintage sound is the reference in terms of tone and volume, so that due to the common Master of the Zerrkanäle the channels Classic and Modern still have a separate volume pot on the side of Customcontrols to bring them into a coherent volume ratio.

Here you could start the first discussion. Is it a 4 or 2 channel amp? That's where the ghosts divorced. Since the channel channels share a master and gain control, I would rather tend to label the Amp1 a 2-channel that has different sound options in the channel.

Although the common master control can be compensated by the volume controls of the Customcontrols, but the common gain control specifies exactly in which ratio (gain) the Zerrsounds are staggered. Say, it is not possible to play the vintage channel with little gain and the classic with a lot of gain only through the amp1. Here you have to fall back on the use of the volume pot of the guitar ......... as Thomas Blug does it ....... However, this is not everyone's style! Maybe you can use the boost to find a compromise here.

Conclusion:
If the specification of the Amp1 suits your own needs, there is no ifs and buts ...... .. Vintage and Classic fit nicely in my band context, but for others this may require the use of a floor pedal, which could then start the first tap dance unless you use the remote1 described below.

Clan control :
The next point you can discuss is the common tone control.
_MG_9827.jpg

First of all to Pro:
Who does not know it? Sound in the rehearsal room 1A and then you come to the gig of the OpenAir and suddenly you are missing the bass and you think: sh**, what does my amp skinny !!!!! Here's a thumbs up to Thomas Blug. Instead of having to readjust all the sounds, all you need to do is correct the sound control and everything is fine again and the sound is back in spite of changing conditions. Here is a positive note that the tone controls do not affect each other and thus really the frequencies are well corrected. The Trebleregler is here but really in the range of heights and not as many amps in the area of ​​high mid.

But now to the Contra:
In terms of my sound ideas, I was not able to use the Zerrsounds so that they represent different gain levels. So the vintage and classicsound has more mids and heights than the modern channel with custom control knob on the left hand side. In other words: while I would like to have adjusted more treble and mids in Modernsound, I had to take them out at Vintage and Classic. So more difficult compromise, which is why I would like to call the Amp1 rather than a 2-channel amp. Clean and a Zerrkanal share, was always unproblematic in terms of tuning the tone control.

Conclusion:
Effective sound control! Good to correct different boxes or room conditions. Problematic and more of a compromise if you want to adjust your channels differently in the sound.

FX:
Now a few words to the effect way. Good that he has one, good that this is parallel and serially switchable, and good that this can also be adjusted in level (+ 4 / -10 dB switchable). What I miss is, however, a volume adjustment of the signal as found on modern amps. For example, my Boss DD-7 in the effects loop ensures that volume is lost. Means: Effect way is louder than the effect way and the boss DD-7 in it. Incidentally, this effect can be detected in all switching options, albeit to varying degrees. This is due to the pedal used. The parallel effect path has the least loss of volume, but it is still easy to hear. The switch to level adjustment on the bottom has an effect on this effect, but he could not completely eliminate it in my setup.

Conclusion:
It's great that you can use the effect path both in parallel and in series, depending on taste and need. Unfavorable is the lack of volume adjustment when using conventional floor pedals. I clap my GT-100 into the effects loop, so of course I can correct the volume of the signal.
_MG_9829.jpg

Noise Gate:
The built-in Nosiegate is so far definitely useful. Whether you choose soft or metal depends on the music style. For very gainful and compressed sounds, you can easily select the setting Metal, since here the noise of the amp / guitar is well separated from the played guitar and thus percussive and hard riffs are supported. In the soft setting, the Noisegate acts rather slowly at closing, perhaps too slowly for some guitarists, but so the dynamic game is well preserved and transients come across well.

Conclusion:
To my taste solved well! Some might miss a setting between Metal and Soft ...... or a noisegate adjustable in the Threshold.

Reverb:
I can not say very much about the reverb, because I play a little bit with reverb. He simulates a spring echo, but he has me too many heights, which has a negative effect on my above problem with the common sound control. That means a vintage channel gets even more highs when played with the reverb turned on ....... The modern channel then drops even more in the heights, as long as the reverb stays off.

Conclusion:
For one it fits, for the other not .......

3. Remote1 and the Looper Kit - now there is a bunch of features on top of it ... ..

Remote1:
Holla the forest fairy! If the Remote1 comes into play, then it gets really interesting and the Amp1 receives many interesting features:
_MG_9830.jpg

On the one hand all options of the Amp1 can be switched (each channel separately, boost, reverb, FX-way), in addition there is a second master volume, an individually controllable gain and a Powersoak. What appeals to me but much more, is the possibility that I can use the Remote1 (or is it the Remote1?) In a preset mode. This is exactly what I am doing with my GT-100: a footswitch on one of the switches will switch the channel, turn off the reverb, at the same time the FX loop will turn on and the boost will be activated -----> SOLO :-) Yeah !! That's how it should be. What Thomas has brilliantly solved here is the programming ...... reminds me of the Marshall JVM.

You choose what you want to turn everything on or off, press and hold the Mode button for a long time, everything flashes wildly and you press the Control1 button to save all this. Finished!

Example with me is then:
Button 1 - Clean channel, reverb
Button 2 - Vintage, nothing else
Button 3 - Classic, FX Loop
Button 4 - Classic, FX Loop, Boost, 2 Master Volume
etc.

All this could be realized in a few minutes and did not even need the manual for me! Very intuitive and ingenious.

The Powersoak is a nice addition: just from stage volume to room volume, without having to put a lot of stuff around, but most will just use the master volume on Amp1. But maybe it has the other nice side effect that the guitarist again has more friends and encouragement within the band, because finally he gets his beloved final sound without blowing away the eardrum. :-) I like it!

Conclusion:
Respect, Mr. Blug, well considered and especially for the guitarist genre, which does not have it so elaborate programming, this is pretty much the most ingenious solution. My GT-100, which can be quite well and clearly operated, is not quite as intuitive.

Looper Kit:
Well, now with some of the question has come up, whether I can do now with Amp1 and Remote1 all that I need and can do without tap dancing and schlepping ...... .. ah ...... .. no! There's something missing to avoid quilting! So far I would have in the test setup yes my effects always on or off properly ... .. speak of clean with chorus to lead with delay, it still needs 3 footsteps: 1. at the Control1 select another preset, 2. Chorus off and 3. Delay to ............ that takes ............ still not so far ....... But now: ready!

_MG_9835.jpg
Now the next ingenious part of this guitar system comes into play: The Looper Kit. The board (pictured on the right) is mounted laterally in the Remote1 and includes four loops that can be switched separately from the Remote1. The box (left in the picture) is then connected to the built-in board and you can integrate pedals to your heart's content via patch cables. Depending on the wiring, these loops can be placed completely in front of the input of the Amp1 or completely into the Amp1's effects loop. Very cool!

For example, if someone uses four different drive pedals, he puts each one in a loop of the looper kit. Now you can also use the Presets of Control1 to switch the corresponding loops. Meaning: on preset 1, loop 1 is activated, in which there is a tube screamer, in preset 2, loop 4 is activated with a boss DS-1.

Scan 1.jpeg
Cabling the Looper Kit with the amp1's effects loop will work just as well with modulation and delay / reverb pedals. So on Preset 1 I can store my clean channel with Loop 1, which has a chorus, and Preset 2, my lead channel with Loop 2 and the delay. And for the crazy ones on Preset 3 there is a crunch sound with Loop 1 and Loop 2 (ie Chorus and Delay). Yeah baby!

The only downer: I have to decide if I want to use the Looper kit in front of the amp or in the effect way ..................... how cool would it be if both would work? This would be a Eierlegendewollmilchsau same ......... but as a suggestion for Thomas: Would not it be relatively straightforward if you divide the Looper Kit different? Eg 2 and 2? For this it would only need another input and output? So one before the first two loops, another before the second two ...... would somebody still want to use all four in front of or behind the Amp1 pre-amp, so he could simply connect the first output to the second input of the Loopkit with a patchcord ?! But I'm not an electrical engineer ... .. Maybe that's more difficult than I think at the time?

Conclusion:
When the Looper Kit comes into play, the system is pretty much complete and offers possibilities that no amp known to me can currently offer on the market, while offering this compactness, low weight and sound. Would say 98 out of 100 possible points, the remaining two are there, if my idea with the extended Looper Kit is implemented! ;-)

4. Midi - he thought of everything, Mr. Blug.
Well gentlemen of Marshall, Vox, Fender and Co. it is not all said, what should be said.
_MG_9832.jpg

Of course, the Amp1 can also be controlled via Midi! But where is the midi jack? Surprise, there is none.

But there are * drum rolls * the MIDI1. This allows connecting midi devices to control the Amp1 and is like an adapter to get from the regular midi cable to the 6.3 jack.

This now allows, for example, the control of the Amp1 by my GT-100. What should that be? Keyword 4-cable method! Now I can use my GT-100 instead of the Remote1 to switch all sounds / presets and settings. How convenient, and I also save money! ;-)

But for all those who drive a different setup: The Remote1 has a further connection option, a midi-out and thus allows the control of other devices. For example, you could integrate a Line 6 M9 or M13 into the system as an effect device and thus reduce your own tap dance, since then the effect device with the appropriate preset is also switched via preset on the Remote1. What more do you want?

5. Overall conclusion
Thomas Blug made things possible in a system that previously required a lot of different and above all much more expensive equipment. This also at a price that can not currently be tuned by any other system. Ok, slight improvement could be incorporated (Looper kit, adjustable effect loop, tone control), but let's face it: there would be something on every current system, right? As soon as the necessary small change has been saved, at least the Amp1 will be found in my setup.

Thomas, I wish you every success with your system and all the ideas that still buzz you through your brain ... .trave to implement them !!! Maybe you'll see yourself back at AMP2 ;-)

admin

Elantric

Meanwhile - time is money, and some of us have very little time remaining  - enter BluGuitar AMP1 + Remote1 + Line-6 HX effects for me.

I'm currently blown away with  BluGuitar AMP1  - using either Nux Cerberus ( for its analog delays that replicate AD-80, and real knobs at the gig - where I NEED them    or Line-6  HX effects - which for some reason I hit a wall trying to make HX effects work in a 4 cable method with AMP1  - time to debug signal flow later tonight.

vtgearhead

We are definitely all on our own tone-quests :-).  At present, I'm quite happy with the Katana for impromptu purposes and Line 6 Helix for "serious stuff" (read:  things we rehearse for).  My experiences with the HD500 were miserable, but so far pleased with Helix amp modeling. 

I admit to being intrigued by the BluGuitar unit, but currently not looking for more things to spend money on.

admin