Yamaha THR5/THR10

Started by melodymann, April 24, 2014, 10:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

melodymann

I highly recommend the Yamaha THR5. Great sounding tiny stereo amplifier with amp  sims digital effects etc. very warm sounding, incredible at low-volume. The auxiliary input can be used to amplify the GR 55 in stereo with a very impressive stereo spread. And the USB lets you use the amp as an audio interface for a DAW, all at the same time! Plus it runs on batteries, truly a Swiss Army knife of tiny amps.

Elantric

I have the THR10 - It has very good amp sims, but it will breakup and distort the Aux/MP3 Input  when THR5/10 is set to highest volumes  levels. While its great for low volume rehearsing, the lack of tweeters in the THR-5/10 mean that the actual Freq response is more in the range of 70-12kHz.
Also FWIW - in a small form factor, the IK iLoud is louder and cleaner with flatter frequency response up to 20kHz, with less bad clipping / distortion at higher decibel levels as exhibited by the Yamaha THR5/10 when the Volume is set above "8"

And all the above are rated below the higher performing Polk Hitmaster.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9459.0

the Hitmaster goes loud enough to fill a room, with no breakup / bad distortion even when set to "11"  !

And I will add a live acoustic drummer will drown out the SPL volume from all the above practice amps mentioned.

myksara

Interesting to know about the iLoud. Can anyone say how is the iLoud compared to a stereo set-up of Roland CM30? Or even a single CM30? Especially interested in knowing which one has better volume levels without compromising clarity.
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

Spider

Elantric your opinion is true to THR V.2 too?

Quote from:  Elantric on April 24, 2014, 10:46:40 AM
I have the THR10 - It has very good amp sims, but it will breakup and distort the Aux/MP3 Input  when THR5/10 is set to highest volumes  levels. While its great for low volume rehearsing, the lack of tweeters in the THR-5/10 mean that the actual Freq response is more in the range of 70-12kHz.
Also FWIW - in a small form factor, the IK iLoud is louder and cleaner with flatter frequency response up to 20kHz, with less bad clipping / distortion at higher decibel levels as exhibited by the Yamaha THR5/10 when the Volume is set above "8"

And all the above are rated below the higher performing Polk Hitmaster.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9459.0

the Hitmaster goes loud enough to fill a room, with no breakup / bad distortion even when set to "11"  !

And I will add a live acoustic drummer will drown out the SPL volume from all the above practice amps mentioned.

Elantric

The THR 10 "V2" is simply revoiced Amps using new firmware. No change to speakers /power amp.
Also the THR10 8 AA batteries last 2 hours tops ( far less if volume is maxed out!) The ILoud plays a bit more SPL with cleaner sound and can go 4hours per charge.

Elantric

QuoteInteresting to know about the iLoud. Can anyone say how is the iLoud compared to a stereo set-up of Roland CM30? Or even a single CM30? Especially interested in knowing which one has better volume levels without compromising clarity.

For review.

THR10:  5watts per side (10 watts total) using two 3.12" speakers
ILoud: 20 watts per side (40 watts total) Two way 2x3" neodymium woofers & 2x3/4" neodymium tweeters.

CM30: 30 watts with 6.5" coax high efficiency speaker.

The CM30 will go much louder than iLoud, thanks to its larger speaker that moves more air.

Spider

Quote from:  Elantric on April 28, 2014, 06:43:58 AM
The THR 10 "V2" is simply revoiced Amps using new firmware. No change to speakers /power amp.
Also the THR10 8 AA batteries last 2 hours tops. The ILoud plays a bit more SPL with cleaner sound and can go 4hours per charge.

I have 10C and from my experience 8xAA 2650 mhA accu last 6 or more hours.

Elantric

I have 10C and from my experience 8xAA 2650 mhA accu last 6 or more hours.

They may have addressed this- but my original THR10 eats batteries - it will just shut down if the volume is on "10" when the "AA" batteries are low. If I'm simply using the THR10 as an amp for my MP3 player - I can get 6 hours - but if I try to use the THR10 as a stand alone Guitar Amp with the Master Guitar Volume on "10" - it will shut off when the batteries are low.   

I should add this occurs AFTER playing the THR-10 full blast non stop for 2 hrs,  using the Crunch Amp type with Gain at "5", Master Volume on "10" and with the Guitar Output Volume (on far right) on "10" and a fresh new set of "AA" Duracells.

Others report similar issue
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-1077873.html

Quote05-07-2012, 09:07 AM
My Yamaha THR10 cuts off completely after a few seconds when playing on battery power. This is the 2nd unit that has done this.

I just exchanged it yesterday for a factory new unit, took fresh batteries that had maybe 45 minutes on them (bought new for this amp) and installed them in the brand new amp. Noodled away at the store for maybe 5 minutes and it never cut off. I crank it up this morning for the first time at home with the gain/master SLIGHTLY higher than I had it at the store and it cuts off in less than 5 seconds. If I lower the master and take it off the higher gain settings, it doesn't cut off as quickly, but still cuts off entirely. Dead. No sound. It does not fade out gradually, spit or sputter. No sir. It just stops instantly like you ripped the cable off of its tiny speaker(s).

Nothing is different except the guitar/cord and my latitude/longituge. I connected the ac adapter and played for guitar 10 minutes at much higher gain/master settings and had ZERO problems. Also on this amp, just like the other one, when you plug in an ipod/ipad/c.d. player in to the auxiliary input and play music via battery power and at a higher volume level, there is NO problem. The issue is just playing guitar on battery power - the EXACT reason I bought this lovely little digital/computerized device.

This does not make me happy. Does anybody have any ideas? I know the store will think I'm crazy. Hell, I think I'm crazy. The store said that they've sold 15 or so with no issues. May have to call Yamaha before contacting the store again.

Update: Just tried the amp with 2 more guitars and 2 different cables. NO CHANGE in the problem!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Series-THR10-Electric-Amplifier/product-reviews/B006QLW5XC
Quote12 of 13 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Great when using AC - battery powered issues, May 21, 2012
By uker - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yamaha THR Series Amps THR10 THR10 Electric Guitar Mini Amplifier (Electronics)
This is a fantastic amp. Great tones, amazing size and weight. I had a problem with mine when running on battery power (with a fresh set of AA Alkalines). If the gain and volume are set very high the amp will shut down after about five minutes of playing. It will just turn itself off. You will then have to click the on/off switch to off then on to restart it. If you lower the volume and gain it will not shut down. But if you strum very hard with high gain and volume it will shut down again.

This does not occur when running on AC power.

QuoteBe aware that if you plan to use this via batteries, it will cut out at higher volumes (about 75%) of its max volume.
This is a proven design fault, that Yamaha know about and cannot fix. It works well on mains power.
I have spoken to yamaha tech support after reading many reports about this problem online. yamaha have given several conflicting reasons for this fault, there latese BS answer is that it's a deliberate hardware action by them to protect rechargeable batteries from dieing and being damaged. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

this fault is repeatable on any THR10. Just put new batteries in (rechargeable or normal) and turn up the amp volume knob and the guitar volume knob on the thr10. It will cut out at approx 75%

yamaha shouldn't be selling these with this known issue, it is a bad design fault that Yamaha should be made to point out at point of sale in the shops.

In my view it shoud warrent a full refund and yamaha should be made to recall all products and fix them.

My THR10 reacts 100% just like GBRoss wrote here:
Basically it boils down to this: if you have the gain, master and guitar volume set very high and you strum hard the amp will shut down. This does not happen when powering the amp via AC. And I don't know if it's my imagination or not but it seems that the amp sounds better when plugged into AC.

I also noticed this ... when on battery power and gain, volume etc are set to high AND you have headphones plugged in - the AMP WILL NOT SHUT OFF.

So it looks like I will always travel and perform with the power cable. I'm not happy about this but I am willing to put up with it for the compactness and weight of the THR 10 when flying to gigs.

presence wrote>
QuoteI can report that I've now experienced the issue with fresh batteries.

I was using the Twin setting with a cranked modeled master volume but the actual volume coming out of the THR10 was not that loud (set about about 10:30). The batteries (fairly new Eneloops which have only been through a handful of charges) had been in the amp for about 10 days but had not been used that much. The amp repeatedly turned off as I played fairly hard.

I took the batteries out and put them in the Maha charger to see how full they were. Of the 8 batteries, 6 showed a full charge and 2 showed a 75% charge.

Here's the thing -- I then recharged all the batteries for a while and put them back in the THR10. The problem disappeared.

So from what I can tell it seems to be related to the charge of the batteries? Either the voltage or current of the batteries or some other characteristic like impedance or capacitance. Another possibility is that it may be related to a disparity of such characteristics between the batteries?

This is a real and weird problem. I purchased my THR10 right when it was released. Hopefully a fix is in the works and I can get mine repaired or replaced.

This issue is unfortunate because it really is a fantastic piece of kit. I don't plan on using mine live so it's not a deal breaker for me, and it's only happened once.

chandlerman wrote>
QuoteI just now called Yamaha tech support. The guy I spoke with acknowledged the problem and said there is no fix at this time. He said I should turn the volume down half way. I told him that if my car stopped working at 60 mph that would be a defect and driving around at 30 mph would not be an acceptable solution. He had no response at all to that. I asked him why Yamaha continues to sell these amps with a known defect without informing customers. His response was "that is the decision" and "it is what it is".

FWIW - My iLoud sounds cleaner  / punchier (as it should with 4 times the output power wattage rating compared to the THR10), and lasts much longer between re-charge cycles.

Spider

I read about it. This problem still exist in V.2 too?

Elantric

QuoteI read about it. This problem still exist in V.2 too?

AFAIK - Yes
"V2" is simply revoiced DSP Amp modeling with new firmware (Ive upgraded mine

http://download.yamaha.com/search/detail/?site=usa.yamaha.com&language=en&category_id1=16171&category_id2=16173&product_id=1897831&asset_file_language=EN&asset_id=61281

)  no hardware changes.
The Auto shutdown when batteries are low is an intentional Hardware design intended to save the speakers from voice coil overheating by preventing the THR5/10 power amp from clipping and distorting when battery level falls below a set threshold voltage. If you run on the AC power adapter. you will never experience this. If you use THR5/10 as an amp for an external processor or MP3 player, you may never see this "auto shut down" behavior as well. But if you use the THR5/10 as a self contained Battery Guitar Amp, and employ its internal DSP Amp Modeling and FX, this drains the THR5/10's "AA" Battery's more rapidly and you will experience the "Auto shut down" within 2 hours of playing the THR5/10 on "10"     

Yamaha's official response is turn the THR5/10 volume down to extend battery life.
http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/795/7914
THR Series Battery Life Expectancy.

1)       If using hi gain models and maxed out volume settings, when the batteries start to deplete the thr may shut down.
2)      For longest battery life use minimum volume , clean amp settings and headphones. This minimizes the current draw on the batteries.

As a test / confirmation - retry my test with your THR10C (must use internal speakers, not headphones) and report your results.

QuoteI should add this auto shut-down occurs AFTER playing the THR-10 full blast non stop for 2 hrs,  using the Crunch Amp type with Gain at "5", Master Volume on "10" and with the Guitar Output Volume (on far right) on "10" and a fresh new set of "AA" Duracells.

Elantric

I will report one "hurdle" with using the Yamaha THR-10.

Running on a Mac with Mountain Lion OSX  - the Yamaha USB Core Audio Driver for OSX suffers lots of snaps and crackles on my 2012 MacBook Pro Retina with USB 3.0 ports - makes it impossible to use the Yamaha THR as a  recording interface

Spider

I noticed clipping(?crackles?) after change to Yosemite too. I use MBP 13 (late 2013) and didn't have such problems with Mavericks. Just know I must use bigger buffer like 160-192.

Elantric

Anyone here using  the Yamaha THR-10 as a recording interface?

Running on a Mac with Mountain Lion OSX  - the Yamaha USB Core Audio Driver for OSX suffers lots of snaps and crackles on my 2012 MacBook Pro Retina with USB 3.0 ports - makes it impossible to use the Yamaha THR as a  recording interface

This used to work well before I updated my version of OSX.
Has Yamaha addressed this issue yet?

http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?site=usa.yamaha.com&language=en&category_id1=16171&category_id2=16173&category_id3=&product_id=1897831

Elantric

http://pickroar.com/1203/yamaha-thr10-squealing-noise-fix/

Yamaha THR10 Squealing Noise Fix
2014 NOVEMBER 8
tags: amplifier, digital, modeling, yamaha
by Gray
The Yamaha THR10, THR10X and THR10C are fantastic little practice amps, but they have a design flaw. When some of the wires inside get too close together, their signals interfere and a nasty high-pitched whining, squealing or ringing sound results. This may be constant, or only when you play, or only when the noise gate is off. It sounds like this:

Nowhere does there seem to be a guide to fixing this. When my THR10X showed up with this squealing issue, I opened it up, turned it on, and poked around with a pencil to find out what was happening. Turns out it's a five minute fix. Follow this short tutorial and you'll be whine free.

Caution: Amps and humans are fragile. Don't touch anything you don't have to. Static electricity stored in your body could zap a microchip, rendering your amp useless. Power stored in a capacitor could zap you, making you useless. Proceed at your own risk. I will not buy you a new amp or new hands.

1. Open Up
With the amp off and unplugged, remove all screws holding on the metal casing, including the four chrome hex bolts on the front, and open as shown.

yamaha-thr10-fix-01-open

These thick cables with the gray foam insulation are for the speakers. We'll leave them alone.

yamaha-thr10-fix-02-spkr

We're interested in this mess of smaller wires at the right edge of the board.

yamaha-thr10-fix-03-wires

2. Fix It
The problem is that when cable A gets close to the bundle of wires at connector B, the interference generates a nasty squealing feedback sound.

yamaha-thr10-fix-04-labeled

Separating them even this much makes the sound disappear. Yamaha should not have designed the THR10 series with these wires so close to each other, and their flappy little piece of silver shielding between the two is apparently insufficient!

yamaha-thr10-fix-05-apart

To keep cable A away from connector B permanently, and enjoy quiet, whine-free shredding forever more, secure cable A to this little circuit board with a cable tie.

yamaha-thr10-fix-06-cable_tie

It's now impossible for the wires to get near each other. Carefully reassemble the amp and you are done with the repair for the cost of a cable tie.

admin

Remote control of THR-10/5 with Android Phone

https://m.facebook.com/YamahaTHR/posts/1051228808261022?__tn__=%2As

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByMjgI3-DPShZkRLM0VPSkhkelk/view

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/yamaha-thr-android-editor.1669012/
I never like the idea that you need a computer to fully adjust the THR10. Fortunately that's no longer the case! By accident I found out that editor sends midi commands to the amp. Turns out if you connect thr to android phone it is recognized as midi interface. I wrote down all the commands (here: https://goo.gl/l99V2b), typed them into MidiCommander app and voila! Full control over THR from my phone!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByMjgI3-DPShZkRLM0VPSkhkelk/view

Elantric

Mrchevy

If anyone is interested, I just picked up the THR10c, and will be putting it thru it's paces and will be trying it out with the GR55 going into the AUX in. I bought it as a demo from GC and got it for $229, and as usual, they didn't have all the contents it ships with. Mainly the software disk with Cubase AI. What is it with these places that they don't keep this stuff >:(. Anyway, preparing to do battle to try and get the disk or download for the software to try out the audio interface aspect also. I did manage to get the power supply, USB, and AUX stereo 1/8" cables anyway, the manual and the editor is a free download from Yamaha. I will note a couple of initial tips with this amp.

When I tried it out in the store, I used a Les Paul with 490/498 pickups in it. I really liked the sounds I was getting with this amp. It really sounds amazing for what it is. I found that rolling of the VOL's and Tone's on the guitar in various levels really responded well with this amp. It just sounded awesome. Went home to do a little more research on connectivity with this thing, went back yesterday and brought it home. Now for some initial tips with this amp that I discovered right off.

1) It's small enough and quiet enough to sneak past the wife  ;D

2)When I first set it up and plugged in at home, I spent a good hour trying to get it to sound as good as it did in the store, but to no avail. nothing seemed to really sound good and was aggravated. I was almost to the point of just taking it back. Then I discovered that while I thought it was in the expanded stereo setting, it was actually in the mono setting. In mono it sounds like crap IMO. Correctly setting it in wide stereo made all the difference and was soon getting all the sweet sounds I bought it for in the first place. So my first tip...when using it on its own, use the expanded stereo setting. For some reason it warms it up a bit and take out the nasally cheap amp sound.

3) This is NOT a high volume amp !!! When they say bedroom volume, they mean it. The fact is, it is a very quiet, low powered amp and as such, there is the temptation to maybe crank and possibly max it out to get some extra volume out of it. Don't do it. Anything beyond 7 or 8 max. with the GAIN, MASTER, OR GUITAR volume on the amp, is going to distort or muddy it up, and we all know with solid state, that's not pretty.

Hence my first order of business, I have found that many things of this amps nature and keyboards( small internal speakers ) sound toyish, so I intend to go from the stereo headphone jack out to my small mixer and into my ALTO 10's powered monitors for real volume. I hope and expect that will satisfy the need for the small gig volume. I have read where many have done this with good results. I will be working with this amp in various scenarios and keep you up to date. At some point soon I will likely be opening it up to do the high pitch feedback repair mentioned above as it is not bad, but present. I will take some additional pixs of the inside. It needs to have the V2.0 update also, and give my thoughts on any differences with that. I also found a tutorial with pixs on an effects loop mod for these amps that I may look further into later on down the road. Fortunately my father-in-law is an electronics engineer who designs circuit boards so I will consult with him on this mod if I decide to keep the amp and pursue this mod.
Let the festivities begin  8)
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

Elantric

Thr big hurdles with the THR-10 amps

Poor battery life when used for small gigs
If you play with main output volume at 3/4 the auto-shutdown occurs mid gig.

Mine used to work as USB audio interface , but after an OSX update it now crackles and pops and useless for USB recording.

I use a Cube Street EX as my battery amp and it's MUCH louder and better match for use with ME-80 or GP-10 on a battery pack at mobile gigs or street busking

Mrchevy

Quote from: Elantric on September 04, 2016, 11:58:25 AM

Poor battery life when used for small gigs
If you play with main output volume at 3/4 the auto-shutdown occurs mid gig.

Mine used to work as USB audio interface , but after an OSX update it now crackles and pops and useless for USB recording.

I saw that......fortunately I don't foresee the need for the battery power option in my case and if I did do a gig, I'm not sure I would depend on battery power anyway. As for the interface use, I would be using a Windows 7 laptop for light work and an XP Pro desktop i have for the heavier stuff I do. I have an interface setup for that already and would just go thru my board for that. I started out on windows and by the time apple got it together, I wasn't willing to spare the expense to convert everything. XP is old but it and the recording software I have all work and no bugs. Never cared for all that proprietary stuff from apple. It's bad enough with windows. I'm hoping this THR10c works out well. I liken it to an old Rockman XP100 I used to have years ago, A self contained amp with effects and stereo. Wish I still had it. I see one once in a blue moon for sale at stupid money. I just don't gig anymore and have the Tubemeister 18 and 112 cabinet for Bar BQ jams. Everything else is home studio work and for fun.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

Mrchevy

UPDATE so far....
   First off, the cubase AI8 software. Both Yamaha and Steinberg were very helpful in the matter of giving me the access code needed to use and install the software that I should have got with the amp. I give both an A+ for customer service. While getting the software and access code was a breeze, the install was a ridiculous series of jumping thru hoops. Typical of most software licensing now days I guess. Elantric, you may want to check the updates section for the amp, they may have the updates needed to address the issues of your operating system now.

WHAT I have tried so far..... I have continued playing with settings and trying various adjustment combo's with the guitar VOL and TONE controls with much success. So much so that I have to wonder, if at least, the THR10C model, doesn't lend itself to sounding better with more traditional lower output pickups, as it is not really modeled for high gain amps. I found EMG pickups a little lacking with this CLASSIC model amp.

My Les Paul (SD- JB/JAZZ pickups) and Strat (noiseless pickups) both sound sweet thru this amp.  This pertains to it's intended purpose of amp modeling, but more later on this. This is just a flat out awesome sounding amp. I have not yet applied the V2 update yet. I have found that yes, if you max out the volume across the board, you will, in some cases, get speaker or cabinet distortions or vibration buzzing. That being said, turning down a bit or rolling off the bass a bit, still provides plenty of volume for bedroom/studio use. The onboard effects, while limited to even less than what you get with the Fender Mustang series, shows better choice and quality than the Mustang series offers IMO.

MORE VOLUME.... Going out the headphones jack to my mixing board then to powered PA speakers, gives plenty of volume for any other needed use with good results. Sound quality is maintained, although I did need to EQ out a little of the bass frequencies on the board but otherwise seems to amplify well. the stereo field is also maintained well. This amp IS gigable with the right help although you still have to change patches or setting manually.

GR55 use...... Running the GR55 from its headphone jack to the AUX in on the amp, provides excellent amplification for bedroom/practice use. Volume is adequate and stereo field is exceptional. Again, going to PA thru headphone jack of amp gives additional volume for most any use. GR55 sound reproduction is sweet thru this thing. Remember earlier comment about not being a high gain amp......, the GR55 high gain amps, models, and effects are faithfully reproduced, adding to the amps sound pallet. IMO, a great combination together.

Well, thats it for now, gotta go watch my race ;)

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

Mrchevy

Another update....I've been playing my GT100 thru this amp for a couple of hours going into the AUX in. This little amp is truly turning out to be a real gem. Again going from the GT100 headphone jack out to the AUX in on the thr10c, it sounds amazing playing everything from cleans to metal. The stereo spread on this amp is unreal. I have the amp sitting centered between 2 studio monitors which sit back about a foot behind and about 2 feet to either side and literally sounds like its coming from the studio monitors which are actually not turned on. I had to put my ear up to them because I could have swore the sound was coming from them. Amp headphone jack out to PA again reproduced faithfully.

I plan to try my Mustang Floorboard thru it soon to see how that sounds with this amp. At this point I don't expect to be disappointed. As a home/studio amplifier via the AUX in for amp modeling and MFX pedals, so far it gets an A+. Crisp and clean, no caffeine.

One other note about the GR55.... When I had that connected, I was running the guitar direct to the amp input rather then thru the GK3. This allows for the use of the GR55's PCM's, modeled guitars, and amps into AUX input, along with the THR10c, it's effects, and regular guitar for a dual amp setup. Very nice. I foresee a long honeymoon with this little baby ;)
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

bbob

Mrchevy,

I enjoyed reading your THR review but you lost me on this part:

Quote from: Mrchevy on September 20, 2016, 04:05:20 PM
One other note about the GR55.... When I had that connected, I was running the guitar direct to the amp input rather then thru the GK3.

Mrchevy

The output jack on the guitar goes to the input jack on the amp like you would normally plug any guitar into any amp rather then using the short cord that goes from the guitars output jack to the GK3. This routes the normal guitar pickups in your guitar direct to the amp input rather then thru the GK3 controller which would in turn run your regular guitar signal via the 13 pin cable thru the GR55. Some do this rather than using the guitar output on the GR55 to the amp input due to the high signal/noise ratio it makes when using it to feed high gain amps.

1.) Regular guitar jack to amp input- normal use of amp

2.)GK3 pickup on guitar to GR55 with 13 pin cable >GR55 headphone jack to THR10c amps AUX input to amplify the gr55 (guitar models, amp models and PCM sounds

This allows blend of 2 seperate amps, the THR10c amp and the GR55 modeled amp. Both will be heard thru the THR10c speakers but gives you that fat dual amp sound if you want it. Think of the GR55 as the MP3 player. Which by the way will also play your wave files thru the amp also, all at the same time. Hopefully this clarifies things better.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

bbob

Elantric

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/yamaha-thr10-series-shelving-trick.1704214/

Jay Walker wrote>
Having been an avid Yamaha user for donkey's years, I picked up a THR10, put it through it's paces, and then traditionally (like I did with the Magicstomp) set about making it do things it wasn't designed for.

I used the THR10 with and without the editors, read all the threads, watched all the videos, and took note of the issues.

The most common concern (for me at least) was that the amp (although simply amazing), just seemed to be shelved a little too far to the right of the tonal spectrum, i.e. it was too tiny even with the treble rolled off.

So here are a few really crappily shot vids to show folks how to take care of that issue without even thinking about using mods, hacks, wrapped plug-ins and soldering irons.

This first vid is a DI recording to show how much difference a bit of creative editing can make to basic sounds:

The second vid is an aptly Android filmed live instance - switching between THE EXACT SAME PATCHES with and without the shelving trick (the clicking is the switch on my Epi Spotlight, I DID NOT USE any effects pedals). The fuzz sound is the THR10 with NO OTHER EFFECTS, guitar, cable, amp (as are all the vids):

The Third vid is an example of fine-tuned shelving settings on a Strat using the volume pot for dynamics:

I've used the THR mic'd up for big gigs, with this shelving trick it goes beyond anything maybe even Yamaha could have imagined. The sound is much more authentic.

Video 1 shows the shelving in action (dodgy screen capture).

Have fun, just wanted to share :)

Still don't know how to embed though :))))))

Yep. Watch your USB out levels though with the filter tweak turned on. There's a huge frequently boost that may overload your DAW.
I've since created some similar principles to allow the use of pedals better than ever before. I sat down to film it a few days ago but haven't finished it yet.
There are a few hidden features in the compressor too BTW. It can be used as a clean boost with zero compression, and it really helps improve the clean and crunch channel tones.
I've been reamping through the THR quite a lot, making particular use of the cab Sims, shelving filters and reverbs.
I've even run vocals and drums through it for different purposes.

As I mentioned earlier, there can be a significant jump in the USB output (causing some DAWs to distort, above 0dB).
Try playing with the delay feedback to get some crazy Brian May type VOX sounds. At around 10-11 o'clock is the sweet spot for that early Queen AC30 mid heavy sound.
If you crank the rack compressor with a 1:1 ratio and a hard knee, attack and release at 0, level at max, you can drive the clean setting into a wonderful filthy twin sound. Works great with HBs.

http://guitarpatches.com/patches.php?unit=THR10