Triple Play, Roland Integra 7 and midi foot controller compatibility

Started by Eastwood, March 08, 2017, 08:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eastwood

Hello one and all.. newbie here Jon from UK.
I'm really very new to midi guitar but have recently got on the band wagon and realised that despite lots and lots of reading up and then realising I'm still lost.. I thought I would bite the bullet and ask the experts on here for some advise.

So I got a Fishman Triple Play, its nicely fitted into my Suhr Classic Pro S type and I don't appear to have any real issues with this so far. I got the pick up fitted well within the recommended Imm tolerenace and so far so good it works fine.

Coming from a world of midi guitar effects I've probably had them all at one time, so programming these in that past for mainly preset changes and the odd parameter tweak here and there never really caused me that many headaches. But I'm struggling with the concepts behind midi synth guitar rigs I guess.
Anyway I digress, going back to the FTP I messed about a little with the FTP app and patches and also a little with mainstage and I got reasonable results from both.
However having read some really interesting posts on here from guys using hard ware synths I was fascinated by what seemed the logical way for me to go... I never really felt comfortable with the thought of using VST's etc with Laptops and IPads for a live rig ( call me old fashioned if you want) but I always preferred the idea of a real instrument a piece of hardware if you like. So I pulled the trigger on Roland Integra 7, and the Fishman FC-1 foot controller and went about trying to set up some patches using the FTP in hardware mode ( mono ) so 6 midi channels one per string. Again this seemed to work ok although I did have a few problems along the way.

Anyhow I got to thinking wouldn't it be cool if I could somehow integrate my regular guitar rig into this set up, I have a small board with 7-8 pedals wired into Boss ES-8 loop switcher which also does some cool midi stuff. So here's the thing I'm struggling with and I wondered if any of you guys have any ideas

Ok I have one other midi pedal on my board a Boss DD500 this gets the midi 5 pin from the Boss ES-8 midi out... I then take a midi 5 pin from the Dd500 midi out into the midi 5 pin IN on my Integra 7.. I realised by trial and error that the Integra likes to see midi On channel 1 for whatever reason I don't rightly know and I haven't explored this further...so I change the DD500 over to midi channel 2 which isn't a problem and reprogramme the dd500 patches on the ES-8 over on channel 2...
I then programme the loop switcher to send some MSB,LSB and PC's as per Roland's Sound List manual for some random different presets on the Integra.. looking at the front screen on the Integra these preset changes worked perfectly everytime I changed a patch on the ES-8 the Integra followed suit to the letter.. also I should add that DD500 also worked perfectly.

I was really excited at the prospect of having just the one midi floor controller to do both normal guitar effects and midi guitar. But then it all went wrong as soon as I hooked up the FTP.

The only way I thought I could do this was to put the FTP receiver dongle into my ICA4+ USB host port
(rather then the FC-1 as the whole idea was for me to use just the one floor controller)  I then take the 5 pin midi from the IN of the Integra to the midi IN of the ICA4+ and then another midi 5 pin from the OUT of the ICA4+ back to the Midi In on the Integra.. as soon as I switched the Triple Play controller on the Integra went to first preset / sound but not even on the first sound set page but the first preset instrument on the PCM board. I tried to send more MSB, LSB and PC's over to the Integra but this made no difference at all.
I've since found out that I should be using Sound Sets on the Integra as patches so thereby utilising it's multi-timbral abilities.. and I've yet to try this out fully.

So can anyone tell me why when the FTP in switched on it appears to override the midi commands from my Boss ES-8 going over to the Integra.. is this because of whatever has previously been saved on the FTP controller causing some conflict.. its bizarre as I said everything works as it should in respect of sending and receiving midi Programme change messages and CC# to get the selected preset on the Integra, until the FTP is turned on..

Could it be anything to do with the FTP dongle being in the ICA4+ causing any issues with midi 5pin on this interface.

Is it more than likely just because I have hopelessly hooked everything up incorrectly perhaps

Or is it simply that one or more pieces of my jigsaw could just be incompatible

As I said at the beginning of the post.. it would be kind of cool having one floor based controller for both regular guitar effects and the selecting presets on the hardware synth..for the FTP but perhaps I'm just asking for too much by presuming this is possible with midi commands

Apologies for the long drawn out post and further apologies if what I'm trying to get across isn't particularly clear..

Regards

admin

QuoteSo can anyone tell me why when the FTP in switched on it appears to override the midi commands from my Boss ES-8 going over to the Integra.. is this because of whatever has previously been saved on the FTP controller causing some conflict.. its bizarre as I said everything works as it should in respect of sending and receiving midi Programme change messages and CC# to get the selected preset on each the Integra, until the FTP is placed in on..

Best to review

Shawnb's FTP MIDI IMPLEMENTATION EXCEL SHEET
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13653.0

More FTP info here

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=135.0

Eastwood

Quote from: admsustainiac on March 08, 2017, 09:02:00 AM

Best to review

Shawnb's FTP MIDI IMPLEMENTATION EXCEL SHEET
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13653.0

More FTP info here

Thanks I've already read this and the in depth post from Shawn.. I admit that some of this seems way above my current understanding and nothing screams out at me that seems to relate to my particular issues..nevertheless it's all extremely detailed.
Also how do I move this post over to Triple Play.. as it appears to be in the introduction area...

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=135.0