Assigning Pedal Switch Control

Started by adagosto, July 27, 2015, 09:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adagosto

Hello,

I know much has been written about this, but I just can't seem to find the steps to do what I'm trying to do  :-[

I'm not sure if this matters, but I'm not using a GK3 pickup, the MIDI pickup is build internally to the guitar.  So I don't have those switches that come on the GK3.  I do have a patch toggle switch and a MIDI volume knob.

Anyway, here's what I want to do:

I would like to use a patch that has some cool mellow synth sound that follows my Intro to the song.  I've found tons of good targets for this already.  Then, when the Intro is over and the verse starts, I want to press one of the pedal switches (NOT the expression pedal) and simply turn off that synth sound so all that I'm left with is my guitar tone.  Then I want to assign the guitar tone to the expression pedal and have it act as a volume pedal.

I cannot figure out how to do this.  Page 54 starts me off and takes me to 57 and then 62 where there's an example, but I just don't get it.  Ideally I can see myself having two PCM tones going plus my regular guitar pickups and I'll want to be able to turn the PCM tones on and off during a song.  I assume you can do this so if someone couple please point me in the right direct???

Thank you!!

gumtown

I hope I can help:
First, there is nothing "midi" about the guitar pickup, GK-3 or built in, it is a hexaphonic pickup, 6 x analog pickups, so each string has it's own unique tone output.
The internal toggle switch does the same as the GK-2 S1 and S2 buttons, as does the "GK Volume" (no midi there either).

Your request is quite simple to achieve.
The easier way is to use the GR-55FloorBoard editor software, which gives an overall view of the GR-55's settings, as in the GR-55 the settings are spread all over the place.

What you want is the "CTL pedal Function" setting,
set it to "Tone Switch"
and that will give you options of what is switched in it's 'on' state and 'off' state.
the options are "PCM Synth 1", "PCM Synth 2", "Guitar Modeling", and "Normal Pickup".
in the pedal 'on' setting you want PCM1, PCM2, Normal PU.
in the pedal 'off' setting you want only Normal PU.

This will allow you to use both PCM synths + guitar while the CTL pedal is 'on' and guitar only while the CTL pedal is 'off'.

Also in the Pedal Function Settings, you will want the EXP Pedal set to either
Patch Volume, which will control the volume of the guitar and the PCM synths (while they are on), or
Tone Volume, and select just Normal PU to control just the guitar volume, so the guitar can fade in/out while you play the Synth tones.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

QuoteI'm not sure if this matters, but I'm not using a GK3 pickup, the MIDI pickup is build internally to the guitar.  So I don't have those switches that come on the GK3.  I do have a patch toggle switch and a MIDI volume knob.

What specific guitar do you have, and what type 13 pin system - post a pic?

QuoteI just got my hands on the GR-55.  I'm using it with a Carvin SH675.
http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/sh675

Then you have a Graphtech Ghost system
Quote. Electronics consist of a master volume and tone control, with a 3-way pickup selector. The two-knob Graphtech Synth Access Module consists of stacked concentric volume for MIDI & piezo, and stacked concentric bass & treble cut/boost. A mini-switch allows scrolling through MIDI patches. Outputs include dual 1/4" jacks (one for humbuckers, one for piezo) and a 13-pin Hexaphonic MIDI-compatible output, which is compatible with controllers such as the Roland GR33™, VG88™ and VBass™, Roland GI-10™, Axon 100™ and others.

I see Carvin does not install the 3 way Guitar/Mix/Synth selector switch (ouch!)

I'll have to remember this next time a Carvin owner complains the GR-55 DSP Alt Tunings do not work, as it will be a battle to keep track of the current state of the dual concentric Synth/Piezo volume knobs 

adagosto

Yes you have the right one.  I tried to post some pictures just now, but I think they are too big.  If you need them still I'll shrink them down first.  Just let me know.  But yes you have the right guitar.

Does this change the approach and or ability to do what I'm trying to do?

Thank you all again!!

Adam

Elantric

Yes - it presents control issues that Gk-3, or Godin Owners ( with RMC Systems) do not have to deal with.

In my case - i change my guitar controls eight times per song - so i would have to modify my Carvin and add the missing three way (Guitar/Mix/Synth) toggle Switch  - like Godin LGXSA / xtSA's employ   

Here is the Ghost 13 pin installation manual

http://www.graphtech.com/docs/default-document-library/ghost-installation-manual.pdf?sfvrsn=2

- (I see that Carvin deviates from this - by omitting installing the "Quick Switch"

Elantric

But know many folks use Carvin guitars with Ghost pickups "as is" 

Start by following Gumtowns suggestions  here
QuoteI hope I can help:
First, there is nothing "midi" about the guitar pickup, GK-3 or built in, it is a hexaphonic pickup, 6 x analog pickups, so each string has it's own unique tone output.
The internal toggle switch does the same as the GK-2 S1 and S2 buttons, as does the "GK Volume" (no midi there either).

Your request is quite simple to achieve.
The easier way is to use the GR-55FloorBoard editor software, which gives an overall view of the GR-55's settings, as in the GR-55 the settings are spread all over the place.

set it to "Tone Switch"
and that will give you options of what is switched in it's 'on' state and 'off' state.
the options are "PCM Synth 1", "PCM Synth 2", "Guitar Modeling", and "Normal Pickup".

This will allow you to use both PCM synths + guitar while the CTL pedal is 'on' and guitar only while the CTL pedal is 'off'.

Patch Volume, which will control the volume of the guitar and the PCM synths (while they are on), or
Tone Volume, and select just Normal PU to control just the guitar volume, so the guitar can fade in/out while you play the Synth tones.

adagosto

Scroll to my questions below if you don't want to read about the wiring stuff.....

Ok here's the deal.  There are options available out there from Graphtech that may be good options for me down the line.  These diagrams have been very helpful.  Thank you.

In the mean time, I still can't seem to get the GR-55 FloodBoard software to connect to the GR-55 yet, but that's my second project.  For the moment, I'd like help focusing on editing the patched using just the onscreen tools.  I know that might not be optimal for you, but this will help me in the end game.

I have a patch that has two synths and a molded guitar.  I played around with the ASSIGN feature and I was able to get PCM1 to toggle on and off using the CTL footswitch.  I can't seem to repeat this very well so if must have been luck.  After fiddling with it, I was able to get PCM1 AND PCM2 to toggle on and off with the CTL footswitch.  No idea how I did that.

Here are my questions:
1. can you please post the settings I should see like this.  I think this will help a lot....
What I'm looking for is the proper settings to toggle PCM1 on/off, PCM2 on/off and PCM1, PCM2 and even the Model on/off USING THE CTL Footswitch

Switch: xxx
Target: xxx
Target Min: xxx
Target Max: xxx
Source: xxx
Source Mode: xxx
Act Range Lo: xxx
Act Range Hi: xxx

2. Is it also possible to assign toggle on/off assignments to the other three pedals (Pedal 1, Pedal 2, Pedal 3)???

admin

QuoteIn the mean time, I still can't seem to get the GR-55 FloodBoard software to connect to the GR-55 yet,

What I'm looking for is the proper settings to toggle PCM1 on/off, PCM2 on/off and PCM1, PCM2 and even the Model on/off USING THE CTL Footswitch

For answers Read
GR-55 FloorBoard Editor Help
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=86

adagosto

Yep.  I've got that document.  Non of the "links" in that document are active.  I'm assuming those blue underlined texts are supposed to be links for more information about that topic.  If not, I'll go back through it.

gumtown

I will start with the easy

Quote2. Is it also possible to assign toggle on/off assignments to the other three pedals (Pedal 1, Pedal 2, Pedal 3)???
no...  All you have assignable are CTL, EXP-ON (while EXP switch is on), EXP-OFF (while EXP Switch is off), EXP Switch, S1 and S2 buttons (or toggle switch), GK VOLume.
And also external midi controllers too.

For the editor software, after the USB driver is installed, from the editor menu, select the midi input and output device from "Preferences > MIDI/USB" menu.
Then select the "connect" button in the editor and you are away laughing !!!....??

The simplest solution is to not use the "Assigns", but the "CTL Pedal function" instead, it lets you do in one setting what you want to do with 3 assigns.
That is what I had described previously..

set it to "Tone Switch"

Here is a Pedal Function printout from the editor

Pedal/GK***********
[CTL: Status] = On
[CTL: Function] = Tone Sw
[CTL: TONE SW OFF PCM 1] = Off
[CTL: TONE SW OFF PCM 2] = Off
[CTL: TONE SW OFF Modeling] = Off
[CTL: TONE SW OFF Normal PU] = Off
[CTL: TONE SW ON PCM 1] = On
[CTL: TONE SW ON PCM 2] = On
[CTL: TONE SW ON Modeling] = Off
[CTL: TONE SW ON Normal PU] = Off

[EXP OFF: Function] = Tone Volume
[EXP OFF: TONE VOLUME PCM 1] = Off
[EXP OFF: TONE VOLUME PCM 2] = Off
[EXP OFF: TONE VOLUME Modeling] = Off
[EXP OFF: TONE VOLUME Normal PU] = On

Or if you want to use Assigns, then this..

Assign 1***********
[Assign1: On/Off] = On
[Assign1: Target] = PCM1 Tone Switch
[Assign1: Min] = Off
[Assign1: Max] = On
[Assign1: Source] = CTRL PDL
[Assign1: Source Mode ] = Toggle
[Assign1: Range Low] = 0
[Assign1: Range High] = 127

Assign 2***********
[Assign2: On/Off] = On
[Assign2: Target] = PCM2 Tone Switch
[Assign2: Min] = Off
[Assign2: Max] = On
[Assign2: Source] = CTRL PDL
[Assign2: Source Mode ] = Toggle
[Assign2: Range Low] = 0
[Assign2: Range High] = 127

Assign 3***********
[Assign3: On/Off] = On
[Assign3: Target] = NORMAL PICKUP Level
[Assign3: Min] = 0
[Assign3: Max] = 100
[Assign3: Source] = EXP PDL
[Assign3: Source Mode ] = Moment
[Assign3: Range Low] = 0
[Assign3: Range High] = 127

And you would have to ensure the pedal function for the CTL and EXP are disabled, as they will conflict with Assigns settings.

Make sure the assigns are also switch 'on', many forget to do that.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

adagosto

This is a HUGE help!!

I'm starting to wrap my mind around how this box thinks!!  Ok.  So your clearly undertand what I'm trying to do and your description is spot on.  Now I need to go try this out.  I can also see why you are suggesting NOT using the ASSIGN feature.  My only concern is that the Carvin guitar does not have the S1 and S2 switch, but by the looks of your description, I'm not sure that matters too much if at all.

In any event, I need to try this out and see what I can do.  Unfortunately/fortunately, I leave for a vacation in the morning.  So the good news for you I guess is I won't be bugging you about this again (for at least a week  ;)).

Thank you again!!

Adam

adagosto

DUDE!!

Your Pedal/Gk instructions are the BOMB!!  That worked perfectly.

Now that leads to a spin off question.

Let's say I want PCM1 and MODEL to be controllable via the CTL Pedal only (on/off), but I wanted PCM2 to be controllable via the expression pedal (swell in/swell out).  Could you do that using the Pedal/Gk settings OR would that require the ASSIGN feature OR could both methods works equally as well?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

gumtown

Yes, you CAN have your cake AND eat it too !!

Just with the Pedal Function setting, you can have PCM1 and Modeling together (or alternately) switch with the CTL,
and another EXP pedal function to check out is 'Crossfade', instead of Tone Volume, which fades from heel to Toe,
Crossfade will blend in the PCM2 from Heel to Midway, and fade out the normal PU tone from Midway to Toe.
You get 2 for 1 deal there

Pedal/GK***********
[CTL: Status] = Off
[CTL: Function] = Tone Sw
[CTL: TONE SW OFF PCM 1] = On
[CTL: TONE SW OFF PCM 2] = On
[CTL: TONE SW OFF Modeling] = On
[CTL: TONE SW OFF Normal PU] = On
[CTL: TONE SW ON PCM 1] = Off
[CTL: TONE SW ON PCM 2] = On
[CTL: TONE SW ON Modeling] = Off
[CTL: TONE SW ON Normal PU] = On

[EXP: Function] = Cross Fader
[EXP: CROSS FADER PCM 1] = Off
[EXP: CROSS FADER PCM 2] = Heel
[EXP: CROSS FADER Modeling] = Off
[EXP: CROSS FADER Normal PU] = Toe

adagosto

This is awesome information!!  I have some great light reading for the plane ride now.  Your information will now help the manual make more sense.

Again, thank you VERY much.  I've got some work to do now!!

Take care,

Adam