Piezo pickup hum

Started by Paresh, March 09, 2009, 08:50:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paresh

In some patches I hear a pickup hum but not others... how do you correct this? Thanks.
paresh

Brent Flash

Quote from: Paresh on March 09, 2009, 08:50:01 AM
In some patches I hear a pickup hum but not others... how do you correct this? Thanks.
If you are near a computer display try turning the guitar away from the screen to see if it goes away. Also if you are using the GK-3 make sure the regular pickup connection is being made with a cable from your mag pickups output to the GK-3.

Paresh

Thanks Brent. I should have said I use a Brian Moore with pizo pickup. I forgot about the computer...I was thinking that noise reduction or something needed to be adjusted. It's the mags that react, not the VG switch position.
paresh

Brent Flash

Was it the computer?

Paresh

No, I just checked it out. It sounds like the kind of hum from flourescent lights however, & it stops when I put my hand over the strings. It's the 335 patch I just uploaded to the blues patches.
paresh

Brent Flash

If it stops when you touch the strings that is normal. I would not worry about it. Most guitars do that and that is why most have the bridge grounded to the electronics. I see you have the mag pickups mixed into the patch and that is probably where it is coming in.

Paresh

Thanks Brent. Are pizos more prone to this? They are so sensitive.
paresh

Brent Flash

Here is another thing you might consider. Because you are mixing in the mag pickups you cannot expect others to get the same results you are getting from the patch. The variables from one guitar to another's pickup sounds will affect the patch sound in unpredictable ways. You may want to mention what pickups you are using (humbucker, single coil, neck, middle, etc.) so that they can try to dial in what you are trying to pass on.

Paresh

OK I'll keep that in mind.
paresh

Brent Flash

Quote from: Paresh on March 09, 2009, 09:35:08 AM
Thanks Brent. Are pizos more prone to this? They are so sensitive.
No, I would say they are less because they use physical contact to pick up the sound. That is why it is hard to get a palm muting sound using piezos. I could be wrong though. I don't have much experiance with piezos! ::)

admin

FWIW - Some Nylon String Piezo Guitars exhibit more hum, because with nylon strings there is no Ground Earthing path for the player.   

Typically RMC Piezo pickups exhibit less hum and noise than competing Piezo systems