Recent Posts

Quote from: ffata on Today at 03:23:42 PMI don't own one, (yet!, still with "just" my VG-99) was wondering, do you use it more with mag or hex pickups?
Thanks, Fred

Hi Fred
I only use it with mag pickups for amps, effects and synths.
To my ears, I get a much fatter organic sound that I am in love with.
The SY-1000 just sparks so much creativity everytime I play it.
With the mag pickup I feel more connected to it dynamically.
Everybody is different, and the magic box has something for EVERYBODY!
PLUS come on, it looks cool!!
Boss SY-1000 - General Discussion / Re: All said and done
Last post by arkieboy - Today at 05:20:20 PM
Quote from: ffata on Today at 03:23:42 PMI don't own one, (yet!, still with "just" my VG-99) was wondering, do you use it more with mag or hex pickups?
Thanks, Fred
For regular guitar sounds in regular tuning I use my own guitars' pickups - Tonerider + BK Bootcamp on the Strat, Seymour Duncans on the Brian Moore - and they both sound fine as they are.

If I want to do pitch shifting or alternate tunings, and occasionally if I have a tricky pickup and patch change I'll use a modelled electric so I can preset the guitar, pickup and tone controls.  I'll also model the other half of a 12 string guitar if I want an electric twelve - layering a Nashville tuned Strat on top of my regular Strat pickups.

I use modelled acoustics in some part of most of our songs - generally 12 string or nylon strung models.  In one song I model a mandolin - there's no mandolin body available so I use a regular acoustic model with some eq to better match a real mandolin's sound.  The most important thing is setting the alternate tuning correctly I think, which gives you authentic chord voicings, and it certainly sounds right when in the context of a song.

I'm a big fan of the wave synth and use that a lot, especially for lead sounds and sequences.  You can get pretty convincing Arp-like sounds from the SY with not much effort.
Last post by Elantric - Today at 04:13:13 PM
Quote from: stub on Today at 04:09:41 PMIt's not that black & white. I ALWAYS connect it via 13-pin, but I pretty often route the mags into my patches on the SY-1000. My guitar has piezo saddle pickups, so palm-muting sounds dumb. But also, just generally, I use the mags for regular electric guitar/bass sounds, and use the divided pickup for models. And I don't really use the synth models except sometimes to add a layer.

But that is one of the wonders of the SY-1000-- i.e., 3 models, plus mags.

Same here, the SY-1000 Synths are the least attraction for my principal use of SY-1000
Last post by stub - Today at 04:09:41 PM
Quote from: ffata on Today at 03:23:42 PM...do you use it more with mag or hex pickups?

It's not that black & white. I ALWAYS connect it via 13-pin, but I pretty often route the mags into my patches on the SY-1000. My guitar has piezo saddle pickups, so palm-muting sounds dumb. But also, just generally, I use the mags for regular electric guitar/bass sounds, and use the divided pickup for models. And I don't really use the synth models except sometimes to add a layer.

But that is one of the wonders of the SY-1000-- i.e., 3 models, plus mags.
I found that it does not quite reach the full range for the GM-800. For example, if you choose a pitch expression of 12 you will not quite get a full octave shift. Perhaps a slightly lower value than 1K would fix that. But of course there is usually not great precision in expression control so you could also choose a range of 13 and get that octave plus a little more. For volume control, not getting to exactly 100% is generally no problem.
Last post by ffata - Today at 03:23:42 PM
Quote from: Bill Ruppert on March 26, 2024, 06:19:25 PMAll said and done, the Boss SY-1000 is a monster.
It does have some problems in some areas, but overall it is such an amazement.
Not sure what I would do without it.

I don't own one, (yet!, still with "just" my VG-99) was wondering, do you use it more with mag or hex pickups?
Thanks, Fred
Some Roland /Boss devices can use guitar input level as a Controller Assignment  Source.
Quote from: admin_shawnb on Today at 11:47:00 AMThe only real difference, as far as I can tell, is that you can choose to have the "string envelope" - which represents the current volume level of the string over time - sent continuously also.  You can choose which midi message to use, any CC or Channel Pressure messages.

Seems minor, but it's very refreshing to have the midi notes decay naturally, mapped to the physical string decay.

This is a massive thing - the range of expression it would open up as a modulation source on the Roland devices would be amazing.
Quote from: admin_shawnb on Today at 11:47:00 AMLearned a lot more about its MPE implementation watching it on a midi monitor...

For the most part, MPE here translates to MIDI mono mode 4.  They are emphasizing each string has its own channel, notes, & pitch wheel.

The only real difference, as far as I can tell, is that you can choose to have the "string envelope" - which represents the current volume level of the string over time - sent continuously also.  You can choose which midi message to use, any CC or Channel Pressure messages.

Seems minor, but it's very refreshing to have the midi notes decay naturally, mapped to the physical string decay.

As I said earlier, a different experience.  Very natural feeling.   The sound more closely matches what you can feel with your hands on the guitar.

Now I really wish Boss/Roland had this...  In hindsight, a gap.

Note that of course you can also map that to modulation, or filter cutoff, or Q, etc.

Online description:
https://support.jamstik.com/hc/en-us/articles/360061090831-MPE-Explained-What-You-Should-Know-About-MPE-the-Jamstik-MIDI-Guitars

Manual, pg 10:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0348/1157/files/Jamstik_MIDI_Guitar_Manual.pdf?v=1689877602

^^^
This is perhaps the best knowledge post about the Jamstik MIDI STUDIO features Ive ever read. ( Ive forwarded to Boss)