GR-55 - COSM Electric Guitar Super Volume Control

Started by jwhitcomb3, November 16, 2013, 03:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwhitcomb3

Here are 4 patches featuring COSM electric guitar models (Tele, Classic Strat, P90 and 335) through COSM Fender amp models (Tweed, Pro and Twin).

These are set up so that a relatively small roll of the GK volume control can change the character of the tone from clean to medium-high gain
without a big change in volume level.  Lots of cool in-between settings too.

Be sure to play with the GK Volume control when you audition these...that's really the whole point.

Switch 1 toggles the pickup
Switch 2 toggles the delay
CTL is tap tempo for the delay
EXP SW brings in a tube screamer MOD
EXP sweeps the reverb level from 15-30 (pretty subtle).

There are lots of assigns here, cross-fading volume and gain, adjusting the amp presence and some EQ parameters to expand the useful range of the volume control and to let the clean range be brighter without the high gain getting shrill.

Please let me know if you find these useful.

Edited to add demos of the ES335 and Tele patches. Both start with the GK volume rolled back and the MOD off. I swap pickups with S1 and slowly roll up the volume. About halfway through, I bring in the MOD with the EXP switch and then slowly roll the volume back. Whole lotta tones from one patch.

supernicd

Thanks, I am looking forward to trying these out, hopefully a bit later today!
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

jwhitcomb3

Here are some updates. I tweaked the presets to extend the useful range of the GK volume control. The gain changes kick in at 80 instead of 100, and the clean/low range is extended with a bit more high end. I changed the reverb to a room from a plate.

I also added a Rick model patch through a COSM Vox amp, with S2 toggling a 12 string (EXP is delay level instead of reverb level).

The GK vol sweep is a little choppier than the originals, and all these assigns are adding some pops as well, but I think it is still useable.

jwhitcomb3

Just a note: I developed these presets on a Carvin HF2S. When I auditioned them on my MIM Roland Ready Strat, they sound different. It seems the taper of the GK Vol pots is different between the Carvin and the Fender so all the effort to make the volume constant over much of the range of the control yields different results on the Fender. I also tried a GK3 equipped guitar, and it responded like the Fender (which has a GK2A).

A side effect of this is that the clean tone at the bottom of the volume control range is much brighter on the Fender. Tweaking assign 6 (assigned to EQ high gain), in particular, lowering the "minimum" value from +11 dB, to say, +2 dB or so will take some edge off.

black_bottom

Using more the 1 guitars = more then 1 GK-3 (whatever you take) you can configure/adjust the output of each string (important !!) , distances and so on in the systems-menu . for myselve I use 2 different guitars and whe changing the gutar I change exchange that configuration in the systems-menu of GR-55. so the sound-configurations (patterns) sound equal whatever guitar you play.
It is important to adjust the level of each string. use your ears for this, not so much the display. each string must have the same level no matter whatever GK-3 you take.