GR-55 - Hammond B3 Patch Help

Started by Swampash, August 24, 2011, 02:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swampash

I came from the GR-1 -> GR-33 -> finally the Gr-55.  The Hammond B3 on the Gr-33 was useable, but still needed some help.  The "Rock Organ" on the GR-55 is too distorted for my ear (only useful sometimes), and has bass "splits" on the lower strings that make it less ideal for my purposes.

I've tried to mess with the settings, and what I've ended up with sounds more like a church organ - not at all percusive like a real B3.

Has anyone solved this?  I'd really appreciate the help.  ;D

Jim Williams

try this one, I keep modifying this one for different needs.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

Sedgewick

Here's one I use quite a bit.  CTL turns on/off the "Leslie".

Swampash

Thanks guys I'll try them this weekend!

aliensporebomb

Speaking of B3:  What's the deal with all of the massive distorted B3 patches on both the VG-99 and the GR-55?  Seriously!  I know the attraction of early Yes and Deep Purple with screaming B3 but you figure someone would make just one straight B3 without the heavy overdrive!

I've tried programming my own B3 on the VG-99 side and it seems that if it's not running distorted, it sounds way too anemic so there must be a "happy medium" somewhere. 

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Jim Williams

Hey that is the reason I went from the VG-99 to the GR-55. The "synth" models don't do it for me, unless you want to create an out of this world sound your screwed. I think the VG series processors should stick to guitar sounds. Most of the synthy sounds I made started out with one of the guitar models... I think Bill does the same for alot of his sounds too.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

aliensporebomb

That I can agree on - all of my synth sounds are heavily processed guitar - I've NEVER used the built-in synth waves to make synthesizer sounds except a GR300 now and then (update summer 2013: the preceding statement is no longer correct).  I'll probably play around with them eventually but the trick is that the synth sounds aren't made with synth waves. 

The synth waves in the VG are fine if you want to sound like you came straight out of 1983 or if you want to have GR-300 sounds which are a lot more useful IMO.

But the VG-99 can do a lot more synthy stuff than most people are aware and are a lot more modern sounding.

Example of "synth sounds" from the VG-99 that aren't synth waves: All of the sounds in this video are two clean Les Pauls with heavy processing pretty much:

All of the patches (Pod Luxe Orch, Pod Organ Follower, Ambld13, Pod Super Luxe) are up on the patch download section of this forum if you want to play around and see how I did it.

Back to the B3 sounds:
I think Ruppert figured out that there's a "sweet spot" in terms of the gain - I've got a cool distorted B3 that Gundy Keller put together that is an exact copy of Ruppert's B3 sound but with distortion - the trick is to use the right amp and gain setting once you take away the overdrive or it sounds too wimpy.

Ruppert said "any of the first six amps in the list sounds great".  Right, but the settings are the key.  More on that later.

banditt11

Quote from: gtrjimmy413 on August 24, 2011, 04:21:25 PM
try this one, I keep modifying this one for different needs.

That patch kicks butt! Great for doing my Blues Brothers tune and my Feelin alright tune. Thanks for sharing that patch. 8)
Frank Betts
2012 American Strat
Gibson double cut faded guitar
Peavey Classic 30 tube amp
Peavey Bandit Special
ME-70 foot pedal
GR-55 Roland synth
www.frontcentermusician.blogspot.com

Bill Ruppert

For what it is worth,the VG-99 does a GREAT organ and that is due to the fact it is dynamic in its tonal response.
Play light and its in the woods, hit it hard and it opens up.
The pcm GR55 synth side can add realism BUT the response and non glitching is the strength of the twin channel organ sound on the VG-99.
Below is a clip I did years ago on the VG-99. I have no idea where the "patch" it was years ago.
PS the built in synth models in the VG-99 IS THE PLACE TO BE.
Thats what I use.
Bill

bbob

Wow!

What a way to end the day.  ;D

Thanks Bill.

aliensporebomb

Yeah, I love that clip - I get the idea Bill must have spent a lot of time playing in bands with monster B3 players because not only is the sound right on but the lines and chords are right on as well.    It's idiomatically correct.

There's also an Effectology clip of some his his "Guitar as B3" playing with some fast bass pedal work with some crazy lines over the top that is cool that's worth checking out as well.

As far as the VG-99 B3 - I hadn't given up but set that task aside for a while since I went down the rabbit hole with some sounds I came up with recently and noticed that Flash uploaded a pretty decent B3 that he did a great clip of the Crowded House tune "Don't Dream it's Over" set clean and then with distorted he did the Styx tune "Blue Collar Man" B3 organ part.  I did a tiny bit of tweaking to work correctly with my specific GK3 but it's Flash's work and I recommend that one.

See the link here for that patch and examples:  https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=581.0

Bill Ruppert

Swamp
I found the best B-3 on the GR-55 is to start with the modeled cosm organ.
That has dirt with in the sound.
Then feather is some PCM rock organ sounds.
This tracks the best as the meat of the sound is COSM so if the pcm sound miss fire you are covered.
(That is the beauty of the GR-55)
A little overdrive goes a long way on organ sounds, in other words less is best

Quote from: Swampash on August 24, 2011, 02:01:22 PM
I came from the GR-1 -> GR-33 -> finally the Gr-55.  The Hammond B3 on the Gr-33 was useable, but still needed some help.  The "Rock Organ" on the GR-55 is too distorted for my ear (only useful sometimes), and has bass "splits" on the lower strings that make it less ideal for my purposes.

I've tried to mess with the settings, and what I've ended up with sounds more like a church organ - not at all percusive like a real B3.

Has anyone solved this?  I'd really appreciate the help.  ;D

Swampash

Thanks all for the help!  :)

I'm using one the the patches above - not sure which one  ::) - in any event it's MUCH better now than before.  The patch on the GR-33 let me use the expression pedal to increase the leslie speed...any tips there?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

ambassgray

Saw this post a little earlier today...and used it to tweak a version for Evil Ways. 

papabuss

FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

ambassgray

Papa..I need to check that out.  Great song, and that actually may work for Green Onions (a song we are going to use to open up with).  I am having an issue with any of the B3 patches making a pop when I hit the chord.  It does not do that with anything other than the B3 patches. Have you ever had that?

papabuss

Hi ambassgray, Do you have an example/demo or mp3?

ambassgray

working on that actually..we just rehearsed on Sunday.  Here are a few clips from what we were working on.  You really can't hear that popping sound when playing with the full band which is a good thing, but it is annoying when you are rehearsing with headphones. 

I will add a few sounds on here as well. 

On Chain of Fools I used the Evil Ways Patch we mentioned above, and the following Tenor Sax Patch (with xp pedal on)

Just a Girl was your Cars Patch, A Just a Girl Distortion patch that someone sent, and the following Just a Girl Flange patch that needs some tweaking..

Feelin Alright was just the standard Concert Piano..so I won't repost since that is cheating :-)

You Ought to Know-(same one I use for hit me with your Best Shot hence the name).  With the control and Exp pedal off..it is a clean guitar, Ctrl adds distortion, Exp Pedal adds the slicer effect (I do slicer with no distortion).

FYI...In case you are wondering..I am playing through a Mexican Hard Tail Strat with GKS pickup, directly through the PA (just practicing..we were not planning on recording but Zoom mics are handy)

papabuss

Thx for posting all these files. I hope I can have a look at them  soon.