GR-55- clean transparent overdrive for electric guitar in worship setting?

Started by mercyj, October 11, 2016, 08:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mercyj

any thoughts on best GR55 AMP to choose for clean transparent overdrive for electric guitar in worship setting?

sixeight

I find the clean combo and the deluxe to work well in church.  And the soldano is very responsive with low gain.

blindjammer2015

Actually very curious as well as this is where I've been using the gr-55 most with my Godin LGX-SA. Anyone have any generic patch ideas that aren't too song focused? I'd especially like one with a slightly overdriven electric and acoustic under it for clarity, which I can mix with my Godin's piezo pickup.

DreamTheory

A good amp for church? Well let's see, it depends on your denomination:

Catholic = Rectifier
Baptists = Fender Chorus
Holiness churches - Boss Clean
Church of Jesus Christ = JC 120
Methodist (theology varies widely) = Full Range
Episcopalians = Tweed

OK, just kidding! No offense intended I like 'em all and have been involved in lots of them in one way or another.

Seriously, I find that in worship settings nowadays, there is usually an acoustic guitarist who pretty much "performs" the set, and the band is a rotating random group of people who fill in behind the leader. What they want from electric guitar is usually one of the following

- a clean, jangling twanging strum- low gain, bridge pickup, Just to freshen things up a bit. Beatles Rickenbaker will do.
- a clean, mellow tone for short melodic hooks and little musical tags between verses.
- a beefy overdriven crunch to add power behind a band during a climax
- a Lucille type blues guitar for tasty yet understated bluesy notes during gospel songs

Usually the sanctuary has tons of natural reverb, if you are in a repurposed warehouse type of place. If you are in a carpeted puffy church with drapery and banners and pews with cushions, you have a totally different environment, and it can be challenging to sound good.

So pretty much any amp type will work, but use common sense before selecting an amp with a name like "Metal Lead" or  "Wild Crunch"

Then go into the amp model's parameters menu and try some of the standard settings. Here are some typical "recipes"

http://www.egnateramps.com/EgnaterProducts/Rebel/Rebel30/Rebel30FindYourTone.html
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

blindjammer2015

Hahahahahaha. best post I've seen all day... what would you name as an amp for pentecostals? Thanks though... will mess around with your suggestions and see if I can come up with any good recipes myself. :)