GR-55 - HEX Commands to Send Change Control Commands to GR-55

Started by tonygardner, September 19, 2016, 03:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonygardner

Hi Everyone.

This is my first post to the VG forum, and have spent a bit of time reading all the various posts. From what I can tell, there are a LOT of very smart people hanging out here!

I've been using my GR-55 for several years now, before that it was a GR-33. I've always been somewhat of a techie musician.

I can successfully send CC commands to the GR-55 from any MIDI controller, but I recently started using a very cool iPad app (BandHelper from Arlo Media), and it allows me to setup MIDI buttons superimposed over my chord chart. BTW, I can successfully do Program Changes, but didn't really want to create a program for every variation!

So, in order to do this, I just need to know the right HEX commands to send to the GR-55. For example, if I have the GR-55 set to MIDI channel 5, and I've setup one of my eight assigns to toggle PCM1 via CC#21, how would I do that? From everything I've learned so far (on other forums), I'm leaning towards something along the lines of "0B 05 15 01" (where 0B is the MIDI.org standard for initiating a control command, 05 is the MIDI channel, 15 is the HEX equivalent for 21 and 01 is the data value). Of course, once I figure this out, I'll be able to toggle AMP, MOD, MFX, PCM1, PCM2, COSM, P/U, Delay, Reverb, and so on!

I've looked in the GR-55 manual, but it doesn't have much in the way of MIDI specs, so I thought I would check in here.

Thanks In Advance!
Tony G.

Elantric

Read the detailed thread on the similar Arlo Media SetListmaker to control GR-55

GR-55 and iPad (Setlist Maker)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9090.msg81483#msg81483

QuoteI'll be able to toggle AMP, MOD, MFX, PCM1, PCM2, COSM, P/U, Delay, Reverb, and so on

Most folks use the GR-55's Eight Control Assignments per patch and create specific mappings of external MIDI CC# messages to target specific GR-55 Parameter Targets

Explained here:

GR-55 Control Assignments
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3868.0

and read GR-55 MIDI spec thread
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3348.0

gumtown

Your CC# command and midi channel should be in the one byte
B0 = channel 1  and cc# command
B4 = channel 5 and cc# command

so it would be B4 15 01

7 bit midi hex numbers are 0~255 (00~7F) where decimal is 1~256

If your software supports system exclusive commands, you can bypass the whole Assign + cc# process and send a sysx command to directly control the effect on/off (or any parameter).

If you set the GR-55FloorBoard editor to debug mode (in the midi preferences settings menu), the commands are displayed on the bottom status bar (at the bottom of the editor page).

F0 41 10 00 00 53 12 18 00 06 05 00 5D F7 = Delay effect off
F0 41 10 00 00 53 12 18 00 06 05 01 5C F7 = Delay effect on
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

tonygardner

Thanks so much for your help guys. This stuff is SERIOUSLY going to expand the possibilities of what I can do with my BandHelper app!

Here's what I'm thinking of doing:
1. Identify SysEx commands for the various general parameters I might want to adjust.
2. Group them together in one comprehensive SysEx message. For example, I'll create one called "Clean" that disables Chorus, Reverb, Delay, MOD/MFX/AMP, etc. Others might be called "Chorus", "Tube", "Solo", "Pads", "Strat", etc. and have their parameters set accordingly. These are called Presets.
3. In BandHelper, assign whatever Presets I want in each Song definition. I'll also establish a fixed method for ordering them. For example, if I decide that I will always have FIVE presets, and that in order they will be whatever is needed for the INTRO, VERSE, CHORUS, BRIDGE and SOLO. This will also help me to remember that a song starts with a solo if I see "Solo" in the first position.

My apologies if this comes across as babbling, I'm just very excited to have this kind of tech help me to do a better job playing.

Thanks Again,
Tony G.