New GR-55 owner, having trouble with Godin LGXSA

Started by therjp, September 14, 2016, 05:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

therjp

Got a new GR-55 unit a few weeks ago and have been using it with the GK3 pickup on a Taylor T5.  After a few adjustments it's been tracking quite well.  Yet I hate the look of that godawful GK3, so I ordered a Godin LGXSA.

The problem is this Godin doesn't track as well as the GK3.  I tried a few diff settings as mentioned in the forum here and it helped, but still having problems with keyboard and synth patches especially... I hear extra notes and weird sounds. 

Are there any optimum settings for this guitar or am I just better off sticking with the GK3 on a standard guitar?

thanks

Elantric

You will benefit from

A ) Using a third party 13 pin input filter board or box with the GR-55 when using any hex piezo pickup equipped guitar

read
What is a subsonic filter for GK 13 pin processor used for?
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17667.0

or

B )  locate a gently used Roland GR-33 and use that for its superior Guitar to PCM tracking ( yes it works better than GR-55)

therjp

thanks man I will take a look at this... is there anyway to address the fact that you can't really palm mute strings on patches like piano/synth?  Is there a setting in the patches I can adjust or an overall one that allows those patches to respond to palm muting like the others (i.e. a normal electric guitar)?

Elantric

Quoteis there anyway to address the fact that you can't really palm mute strings on patches like piano/synth?

Most folks order the RMC OPT-01 Input filter to tame the mistriggers that occur from noise when touching the Piezo bridge - its worse when you select "ANALOG GR" as the Guitar Model ( its attempting to sound like the old 1981 GR-300) 

as explained here

What is a subsonic filter for GK 13 pin processor used for?
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17667.0

Some PCM tones respond to velocity dynamics , but if your GK Sensitivity is set too high you may never experience these picking velocity transitions   

also try our suggested Godin RMC Piezo settings and read both these threads

Godin XTSA
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3912.0

Godin LGX-SA / LGXT
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142.0

--

On both my xTSA'a - the COSM Modleling sounds most excellent .

This is AFTER I follow Jim Williams Piezo Setup.

--
In System, Set the GK PU type to:
PU type ;  PIEZO R
Scale :  ST
PU phase : NORMAL
PU direction : NORMAL
S1/S2 position : NORMAL
NORM PU gain : 0 dB
PIEZO TONE  LOW  :    -2
PIEZO TONE HIGH  :   -3

"DIS"
10.0 mm all strings (does not matter GR-55 ignores this for all Piezo PU selections)

"SEN"
Set the sensitivities for all strings to "50" average (+/-5  - that is all my strings have sensitivity set in the range between 45-55 .
(Note: Godin's older than 2012, might work better with Sensitivity set to "0")

"VEL"
Velocity Dynamics :  2
Play-Feel         :  2 (may vary depending on how you play synth tones)
Low-Velocity Cut  :  8-9

"NUA"
Nuance Dynamics   :  4
Nuance Trim       :  4

"DOW"
Shift   :   0
===============

then be sure to download and read all the member created GR-55 docs here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;cat=18

Giuseppe

A related question regarding the LGXSA. I have a Partscaster with a Hexaphonic Ghost system. The synth sound seem to track well and ghosting is minimal. The set up is following John Williams recommendations. On my LGXSA the synth sounds don't rack nearly as well. They are not as loud and especially the G string don't get picked up consistently at all. I am assuming I should set up a separate profile for the LGXSA since they two guitars don't work the same. Any suggestions to fix? Increase sensitivity?

alexmcginness

I use to own a Godin LGXT. I wound up putting a GK-3 on it as the piezo for tracking was terrible as well as the issue of moisture getting into the saddles and killing them. The only really good part about the piezo for me was using it to trigger acoustic guitar sounds in my VG-99. Then you got a more authentic tone out of the acoustic models. If you dont like the look of the GK wart then if you can find an internal kit that may do the trick. I had a lot of issues with the LGXT and my Axon AX-100, that went away when I started using the Axon with a GK-3. Your mileage may vary.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Giuseppe

Since the Partcaster works fine. I could just use that and get rid of the Godin...

CodeSmart

Quote from: Giuseppe on December 06, 2016, 10:14:17 AM
They are not as loud and especially the G string don't get picked up consistently at all.

In my case I opened the guitar, cut away some tape and release the strain on the thin wire going to the G string pickup (I.e. made the cable longer). That removed same problem in my case.

You definitively should use two different GK-SET in the system.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!