PRS SE Custom 24 - Internal GK Kit - just finished

Started by highlandsrock, November 11, 2012, 02:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highlandsrock

Here's my latest GK Kit internal install. For this one I chose a PRS SE Custom 24. It's actually quite an easy install to do and can be completed with or without a router. I have taken pictures throughout the process and written a few words - http://goo.gl/Rhu96

Ibanez RG870 with GT3 internal kit +
GR-33, VG-99, GR-55, GP-10, SY-1000, Strymon Big Sky

neophytte

Nice work!!

This was my work on a PRS a year and a bit ago: http://neophytte.mine.nu/photo/2011-09-28-PRS_Torero_add_Roland_GK-Kit-GT3/

Cheers

Richard

Kevin M

photonutalan1

Very nice work by both of you! Your excellent documentation and photos are very helpful and bear careful study by anyone contemplating such an installation. Thanks for sharing!

aliensporebomb

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

highlandsrock

Thanks. The more I play the PRS the more I like it. Can't believe they can produce such a quality guitar for such a good price. It has a lovely natural resonance.

Now all I've got to do is work out how to use my newly acquired FC300 to switch effects on and off on my GR-55. It shouldn't be difficult. There's even a Roland video showing you how to do it but I can't get the two units to talk to each other. I'm guessing there's some master setting that is overriding everything............
Ibanez RG870 with GT3 internal kit +
GR-33, VG-99, GR-55, GP-10, SY-1000, Strymon Big Sky

neophytte

Thanks! I'm working on my 13-pin only franken-strat at the moment :)

Cheers

Richard

aliensporebomb

Now that's interesting.  Post the finished guitar will you?  So much fun to see what people build up around here.

neophytte

Can do - was playing with the graphtech saddles last night; btw a few friends commented that it looks pink, but that's the sunlight, it's actually red.

Cheers

Richard

silent_k

Very psyched to find this thread!  I'm new to the forum (as of today!) but I'm an amateur luthier and have a VG99 incoming this week.  I'm working on a Klein-style build and want to include a built-in GK pickup, but maintain a regular 1/4" output jack for use without the synth.  highlandsrock, I see from your blog post that you set up your PRS in exactly this way (your description in the "Output Jack" section is exactly what I'd been hoping/planning to do, down to the amp-style jack!).  Could you say a bit more about how you did the wiring to achieve this?  Do you have the pickup signal wired through the 13pin jack AND the 1/4" jack, or are you only taking the signal from the GK pickup through the 13pin jack, or some other config?    It looks from the photos like you included the toggle switch, which if I'm understanding the GK kit correctly is the switch used to toggle between mag pickups, GK pickup, and the two mixed together -- is that what you have this switch set up to do?  It seems to me that you could run two wires from the output of the magnetic pickups: one to a 1/4" jack, and the other to the GK system, but I'm very curious to hear more about how you did yours.  Thanks for the detailed post.

aliensporebomb

silent_k:

Pretty much all GK guitars are like this - it's part of the GK design and the GK internal kit would let you do this.

On the Roland Ready Strats for instance you have the volume, tone, volume and patch up/down buttons plus the guitar/guitar and synth/synth only 3 way switch next to the standard 5 way strat switch. 

If I plug this into my regular rig, it works like a normal guitar.  And then I also can play both rigs simultaneously.

Same with this - I'll often do recordings using both rigs at once:

This was a live improv using two stereo normal guitar tracks, two stereo hex guitar tracks with the VG-99 and two stereo softsynth tracks using the guitar-to-midi in the VG-99 - live - no overdubs - kind of a post-rock thing:

silent_k

Thanks, aliensporebomb (and cool track, by the way -- I got lost listening to some of the stuff on your website last night as I was reading more about this stuff, too).  It's great to know this is not only possible but a common approach.  After reading your post and looking at a couple of other diagrams (of a Fender Roland-ready strat and the GK Kit instructions again) I can see now how the wiring is done to give you both a regular 1/4" output and GK output.  Very cool, and perfect for my project.  Thanks for the details!

neophytte

Quote from: aliensporebomb on December 19, 2012, 08:32:32 PM
Now that's interesting.  Post the finished guitar will you?  So much fun to see what people build up around here.

Sorry for the delay:

Pics of the build:

http://www.facebook.com/richard.mortimer/media_set?set=a.10152360208485514.945815.873000513&type=3

Cheers

Richard

thebrushwithin

neophytte

Thanks, I want to rebuild the output socket surround, as 6 screws looks over the top, and I didn't get a neat corner.

Cheers

Richard

Gaustu

Very nice look!
Sorry for misunderstanding but where is the hex?
Parker PDF85 modified: Sustainiac, SD TB-4, Piezo Hexpander 13 pin out.
GR-55 mod with 13 din thru, 6 analog outputs D-Sub => Presonus FS Mobile  8 analog inputs.
NI Reactor matchHEX Guitar Framer Ensemble custom.

neophytte

Quote from: Gaustu on February 23, 2014, 04:17:03 PM
Very nice look!
Sorry for misunderstanding but where is the hex?

Have a look at the build pics, this is a Ghost system pickup. The pickups are in the bridge.

Cheers

Richard

Gaustu

Oh, now I recognize, it's mine.
Don't you make any shielding for these six pairs?
For me, a shielding was absolutely necessary if to use high gaining processing
Parker PDF85 modified: Sustainiac, SD TB-4, Piezo Hexpander 13 pin out.
GR-55 mod with 13 din thru, 6 analog outputs D-Sub => Presonus FS Mobile  8 analog inputs.
NI Reactor matchHEX Guitar Framer Ensemble custom.

neophytte

Hi,

No, I haven't found shielding to be necessary yet - what high gain processing are you using??

Cheers

Richard