Positive Grid Bias Desktop

Started by Elantric, May 09, 2014, 05:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

BIAS Desktop is closer

Elantric

What is BIAS

BIAS is an Amp Designer, Modeler and Processor. It allows you to change preamp tube types, edit preamp voicing, adjust bias, audition various transformer types, swap out loudspeakers and cabinets, move microphone placement and much, much more.

The Explorer Program

The Explorer Program is designed for people who want to get involved early and help shape the future of BIAS. We're expanding little by little, and experimenting with different ways of bringing new Explorers into the program.

If you are interested in joining, you can sign up here and we'll let you know if a spot opens up. Please note that, while we'd like to invite everyone, we can't guarantee invites right now.

http://www.positivegrid.com/bias-explorer/

sixeight

I signed up awhile ago, but I've never heard anything back. Has anyone else been more lucky?

drbill

GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP

sixeight

Bias for desktop has arrived.

Had a mail today. They added a link to It's your turn to http://bias.positivegrid.com/. I can login and download the app. Only the Mac version is out. Had a very quick try. No presets yet, but it did work. Only problem is that my ancient mac at home is still at osx10.6.8 and osx10.7 is required. So I had to install it at work. Will take it home this week to do some extensive testing.

drbill

not happening for me; just the picture of the macbook running the app, no link
GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP

Elantric

The  Apple AU plugin version is the initial version currently being beta tested - I just got this for test, and so far  its  good.

Quotenot happening for me; just the picture of the macbook running the app, no link

They are restricting this to a few beta testers and its an invitation by email only right now - after you sign up here:

http://www.positivegrid.com/bias-explorer/

QuoteThe Explorer Program is designed for people who want to get involved early and help shape the future of BIAS. We're expanding little by little, and experimenting with different ways of bringing new Explorers into the program.

If you are interested in joining, you can sign up here and we'll let you know if a spot opens up. Please note that, while we'd like to invite everyone, we can't guarantee invites right now.

drbill

Cool, the plugin is what I would use. I signed up the first day someone mentioned it here. Have not heard from them; I guess I'll have to wait for the release.
GP-10, KPA

sixeight

Guess not everybody is in automatically on the explorer program.

Had a first test of Bias in Nail Moody's Pedalboard app. Running two amps panned left and right in realtime does give some latency. It does feel like latency is better (lower) on the ipad version of Bias, but I haven't been able to measure it yet.

And I did find the Presets in the explorer version.

I use the VG99 as a soundcard. Now that I can use the driver in Advanced Mode, it is 24 bit audio. That may be the reason for the slightly longer latency...

sixeight

Bias for Desktop goes Kemper/axe fx. Still the beta version in the exlorer program. Haven't been able to test it yet. But it is a cool feature. In the future tone cloud will be compatible with the ipad version, so more great amps will appear for all the Bias users.

Hi Friends,

We've released 2 new features in this version - The Amp Matching module and Tone Cloud!

How the Amp Matching works?
1. Record Target: Record a short playing of your target amp. i.e. you can mic your JCM 800.
2. Record Source: Select a preset and dial in as close as possible (i.e. select the Lead 800). record a short playing of your source amp.
3. Match: Amp Matching will analysis the difference and provide the matched version. 

Known issue:
Please don't close the plugin edit window if you haven't finished sampling the source and target sound. It might cause the Amp Matching module reset to default.

Best regards,
Positive Grid team

sixeight

How cool is that. Bias on windows! Now I can use it in my Cubase setup as well!

Elantric

Elantric

mbenigni

Does the desktop version employ the exact same modeling algorithms or is it purported to sound better in any way?  I assume with the desktop version you're free to crank up bit depth and sampling rate to taste and enjoy whatever benefits there, but otherwise is this equivalent with the iOS version we already own?

Elantric

QuoteDoes the desktop version employ the exact same modeling algorithms or is it purported to sound better in any way?  I assume with the desktop version you're free to crank up bit depth and sampling rate to taste and enjoy whatever benefits there, but otherwise is this equivalent with the iOS version we already own?

So far Positive Grid Bias Explorer Desktop sounds the similar to the iPad version of Bias - but the big news is the new "Tone Match" feature exclusive to the Desktop version of BIAS - watch the two videos above.

and read more here:
http://guitarnoize.com/positive-grid-bias-coming-desktop-soon/
QuoteFor me, Positive Grid's BIAS is one of the greatest apps ever released on the iPad (and iPhone too since my review). Not only is it incredibly fun to play amp designer the results you get from customising amps; switching transformers, changing and biasing tubes, combining different preamps and poweramps etc. sounds brilliant.

Ever since it's release there have been comments all over social media sites asking if BIAS will ever be released as a plugin for desktop and it seems that day is fast approaching. Positive Grid BIAS Explorer is a beta testing program that you can apply to be part of to help shape the future of BIAS for desktop. I think when this is finally released it is going to be a huge success.

Positive Grid announces BIAS Desktop, a groundbreaking guitar-amp designer and modeler plug-in for both Mac OS X and Windows. Available in VST, Audio Units, RTAS and AAX formats, BIAS Desktop features the most realistic modeler engine, Amp Matching (a pioneering first for DAW plug-ins), BIAS Expansion Packs and the ToneCloud preset-sharing platform. Amp Matching analyzes any live or recorded guitar tone and exactly recreates it within BIAS Desktop.

So not only are you doing to get all the same great features of the iOS app but also a new feature which I've only seen on super expensive rack amp modelling units such as the Fractal Axe-FX, Amp Matching!

"Simply input signal from a miked amp or pre-recorded guitar track, and BIAS Desktop will invisibly insert additional processing into the signal path to make your current amp precisely match the tone of the inputted guitar signal. No other plug-in can do this. Once the tone is captured and replicated, the user can save it as a custom preset and share it with other musicians on Positive Grid's proprietary social network, ToneCloud."

That sounds like an awesome feature! BIAS Desktop is planned for a Q3 launch. Positive Grid currently invites experienced and talented individuals to join them in shaping this project and give early feedback prior to the product's release.
To sign up, please visit http://www.positivegrid.com/bias-desktop/.

mbenigni

Quote from: Elantric on June 26, 2014, 08:46:38 AM
So far its sounds the similar to the iPad version - but the big news is the new "Tone Match" feature exclusive to the Desktop version of BIAS - watch the two videos above.

Thanks, Steve!

Elantric

Amp Matching Tutorial for Bias Explorer for Desktop running as plug in for Ableton Live

(See attached PDF)

Elantric

whippinpost91850

BIAS DESKTOP

QuoteHi!  Paul

The BIAS Explorer is designed for people who want to get involved early to shape the future of BIAS. Well, here's your chance. If you are interested in joining the program, you can purchase BIAS Desktop now for $149. This offer is available for a limited time.

GET BIAS NOW

Please note that BIAS Explorer is for early explorers, and we will send out weekly update for fixes and improvements.

Am I crazy or does $150 sound a little high ???

Elantric

QuoteAm I crazy or does $150 sound a little high ???

IMHO- yes.

Wait for a 3 day sale during a future holiday - or just use the Ipad version.

whippinpost91850

Yeah ! My plan was to wait, like you I figure they will have a sale. But! Just got my new IMac and thought it would be cool and now with that last IOS update it won't work on my iPAD 2nd gen. So need to get new iPad.

Elantric

Maybe its just me - but I'm getting bulk of what I need for Amp tones just using the Boss GP-10 - have not fired up my Kemper or VG-99 in months 

( which reminds me I think I'm going to sell my KPA soon, I smell a 2015  "Kemper II" being debuted at NAMM and then the prices for my old 1st gen Kemper will surely plummet. I have never got on well with the Kemper user interface, and I assumed going in that it would have the same level of support and computer integration as an Access Virus  - instead owning a Kemper is like watching the rough cut of a new movie where several important key scenes are "missing"  )

Stability is key for me.  I often think I wasted time trying to be happy with Jamup  / Pro+Bias, but once Latency arrived after an IOS 7.01 update, then weeks went by before Positive Grid released the "fix" for the added latency - I'm rather sensitive to any latency now.

Know that IOS 8 is due to "break" many IOS audio apps  - I advise IOS owners who need and rely on their iPad music tools to earn a living to avoid jumping into IOS8 until things got sorted out.

QuoteYeah ! My plan was to wait, like you I figure they will have a sale. But! Just got my new IMac
Must have OSX apps IMHO will be Apple Logic X and Mainstage  - those have decent enough amp sims to get you going

Elantric

A few testers for both Bias Desktop and TSE Audio's X50 prefer TSE X50 - and its currently on sale for (29.99 EUR ) $38 (US)

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12471.msg90596;topicseen#msg90596

Demos
http://www.theserinaexperiment.net

Forum
http://www.tseaudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=f8ce16e4f9560e37ac30cfe49d93f4db

http://www.tseaudio.com/software/x50v2

TSE X50 2.3 - Rock/Metal Suite Limited 40% discount! Now only €29.99!
40% introductory discount until October 5th 2014! (Original price is €49.99)

Upcoming discount rates are as follows:
Week 1 - 40% ~ 29.99 EUR - September 29th to October 5th
Week 2 - 30% ~ 34.99 EUR - October 6th to October 12th
Week 3 - 20% ~ 39.99 EUR - October 13th to October 19th
Week 4 - 10% ~ 44.99 EUR - October 20th to October 26th

BackDAWman

I would really like to buy this plugin... Just a shame their web site doesn't work. I clicked on proceed to PayPal and...nothing. A blank page!