Opinions on acoustic guitar

Started by Kevin M, January 21, 2013, 09:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin M

She arrived today!  Not much time to play it, but it sounds great and feels like a quality instrument.

Elantric

Congrats! Looks like a very nice guitar.

Machh_2

Congrats !!! wonderfull guitar...
record something and show us...

[]´s

Machh

GovernorSilver

I backed this Kickstarter to make this odd-looking travel guitar and am now waiting for mine.  The main guy said he'd use a 1 3/4" nut to facilitate fingerstyle playing.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alpacaguitar/alpaca-guitar-the-ultimate-adventure-guitar

It's a true acoustic, in that a 3rd party pickup would have to be installed.

Kevin M

Quote from: GovernorSilver on March 28, 2013, 10:58:14 AM
I backed this Kickstarter to make this odd-looking travel guitar and am now waiting for mine.  The main guy said he'd use a 1 3/4" nut to facilitate fingerstyle playing.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alpacaguitar/alpaca-guitar-the-ultimate-adventure-guitar

It's a true acoustic, in that a 3rd party pickup would have to be installed.

Interesting guitar!  Not sure that would be my idea of 'playing' in the snow!  :-)

GtrGeorge

whats the white guitar on the wall?  Looks really cool!!

Kevin M

Elantric

Old thread  - but had to post that for affordable decent sounding Acoustic guitars , look at the new PRS SE Acoustics. They are Korean Import, but every example I have played was a fine sounding instrument.

DreamTheory

Being from Eastern PA, I had a long standing bias towards Martin, but the higher series Taylor Grand Auditoriums won me over- are just amazing. They sparkle in the mid-highs, and have deep rich bass without the boom of the Martin dreadnaught. So well balanced tonally they evoke fingerstyle playing, and I find myself hearing and reaching things I did not know were possible. It's enchanting, like magic. Not to mention the excellent build and looks. The rosewood sides are of course the clearest and strongest articulated, definitely different than the mahogany, and the solid back and sides are best of all, if you can afford that. The koa does not sound nearly as good as the mahogany, which is too bad because they are the most beautiful thing ever made by humankind. As to the electronics in a Taylor- they put enhancers in there that make it sound more like an acoustic with a mic, very steely and strummy with harmonics even through a PA system, just a huge sound.

On the low side of the budget, I had a Takamine that was just well put together. You would have to spend a lot to beat it. Very stable, sounded good unplugged and plugged in. You can sweeten anything up in the studio.

Don't overlook double playing and panning wide.

But since you got the Taylor - congratulations!
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

Frankster

Quote from: tekrytor on January 21, 2013, 11:00:05 PM
Taylors get pretty good marks.

Before buying a Taylor I'd recommend watching these videos from youtube's foul-mouthed repair guy ...

https://www.youtube.com/user/davey4557/search?query=taylor

... just don't watch them with impressionable youngsters around

Now_And_Then

Quote from: Frankster on April 26, 2015, 07:49:36 PM
Before buying a Taylor I'd recommend watching these videos from youtube's foul-mouthed repair guy ...

https://www.youtube.com/user/davey4557/search?query=taylor

... just don't watch them with impressionable youngsters around

Dave's World Of Fun Stuff! He always says one or two things in each video that get me laughing - at least partially result of his absolutely deadpan delivery. Very very funny and extremely informative too, with just a very little bit of profanity - which in the context of home-made Youtube makes his videos almost immaculately clean. He's got a very large number of videos on a very wide range of luthier and guitar / bass topics.

(I hadn't browsed his video in quite a while and while doing so just now came across his video of a "Stingray Bigsby Restringing Tool" which I felt deserved its own topic in the General Discussion subforum.)

Elantric

Just an update  - while i still think my 1996 Larivee D-03 remains my best sounding Acoustic guitar,

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7755.msg54529#msg54529

I find the non cutaway body a problem at most gigs / jams -
Last month I was near a large Guitar Center early December 2015 during their 20% off code sale and took home a new Taylor 414CE with case  - I played every cutaway acoustic in the store ( Martin, Gibson, Breedlove) and this Taylor 414CE had it all and sounded better and easier to play, and best workmanship compared to any other acoustic guitar in the store. ( Sad to report the Gibsons over $4K were extremely depressingly dull and lifeless "planks"  and overpriced)
https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/414ce

sloopdawg

Quote from: Elantric on January 06, 2016, 10:30:06 AM
( Sad to report the Gibsons over $4K were extremely depressingly dull and lifeless "planks"  and overpriced)

I have found this the past several times I have broused the Acoustic selection at Guitar Center myself.
2 and 3 k guitars sound lifeless and dull must less fun and playable.
I don't get it

Mauri60

Hi Guys!
my two cents for my piece of cake.
Yamaha FG-480S buy ed 2ND hand in 1989 great conditions and grateful sound.( pictures from net )
my first preamp was a LR Baggs recently smoked (R.I.P) replaced with a fishman presys blend piezo+condenser.
this combination give me good sound even when guitar is off amp, great sound ( my opinion )when plug into a PA.
maybe not a professional unit, but for me is (at least ) enough satisfying, more than decent.
note... yamaha FG series were built in china ( or korea maybe ) , solid top, loss of sound any! ( increased from my playing sensations )
a little candy: 12Th fret seagull is different ( opened wings! ) and seem to be ready to takeoff :) love this guitar!
Nothing is impossible,if someone else will do for you.

jwhitcomb3

Quote from: sloopdawg on January 06, 2016, 02:14:39 PM
I have found this the past several times I have broused the Acoustic selection at Guitar Center myself.
2 and 3 k guitars sound lifeless and dull must less fun and playable.
I don't get it
A couple theories:
(1) the really good $2-3K guitars don't stick around long, and
(2) the ones that do stick around usually have gunky strings.

I have owned $2-3K guitars, and loved them. In the past few years, however, the quality of overseas guitars has risen dramatically, and their prices have remained low. My #1 guitar now was made in China, and I paid under $700 for it. I don't feel like I'm slumming even the least tiny bit. In fact, a couple of times in the past few years I have gone into a guitar shop with a big-name-guitar budget, but walked away with an all solid wood import that won me over by it's sound and quality.

It is a great time to be in the market for an acoustic guitar. Even better if you let your hands and ears decide for you, rather than the name on the headstock.

slooky

Quote from: Elantric on January 06, 2016, 10:30:06 AM
Just an update  - while i still think my 1996 Larivee D-03 remains my best sounding Acoustic guitar,

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7755.msg54529#msg54529

I find the non cutaway body a problem at most gigs / jams -
Last month I was near a large Guitar Center early December 2015 during their 20% off code sale and took home a new Taylor 414CE with case  - I played every cutaway acoustic in the store ( Martin, Gibson, Breedlove) and this Taylor 414CE had it all and sounded better and easier to play, and best workmanship compared to any other acoustic guitar in the store. ( Sad to report the Gibsons over $4K were extremely depressingly dull and lifeless "planks"  and overpriced)
https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/414ce

Have to agree with you there. When I bought my Martin, I too tried the gibsons and also found them dull and lifeless.