ISP - Theta Pro DSP Preamp and Multi-effects Pedal

Started by Panthersn, April 12, 2015, 05:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panthersn

Has anyone checked out this new floor multi?  Not much info on the web but looks very interesting, lots of processing power.  Looks like they had some deep talent from Rocktron when they designed this.

http://www.isptechnologies.com/portfolio/theta-pro-dsp/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ThetaProDSP

Found a very lame video from NAM (hard to understand with the translation going on):

! No longer available

mbenigni

Interesting, but OGM $1300.   :o  They might be competing with the Fractal AX8, depending on price (and whether the AX8 ever sees the light of day, of course.)

Bill Ruppert

mbenigni

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on April 13, 2015, 08:29:02 AM
I would like to profile that!

I immediately thought the same thing.  :)  It wouldn't surprise me if there were some profiles of the Theta preamp on the Rig Exchange already.

whippinpost91850

Quote from: mbenigni on April 13, 2015, 08:36:45 AM
I immediately thought the same thing.  :)  It wouldn't surprise me if there were some profiles of the Theta preamp on the Rig Exchange already.

ME too!

mbenigni

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on April 13, 2015, 09:14:08 AM
ME too!

Actually, we're not being 100% accurate.  We immediately thought, "I'd like to get my hands on this Theta preamp and try it out."  Then we thought, "Oh, I don't need to - I just need to get my hands on some profiles."  :)

whippinpost91850

Quote from: mbenigni on April 13, 2015, 09:22:09 AM
Actually, we're not being 100% accurate.  We immediately thought, "I'd like to get my hands on this Theta preamp and try it out."  Then we thought, "Oh, I don't need to - I just need to get my hands on some profiles."  :)

And as usual you are totally correct ;D

Elantric

Gary Hoey playing through the Theta Pro DSP at Gearfest 2015

We flew Ethan Brosh into our facility to write presets for the new THETA PRO DSP! Follow us on YouTube and Facebook for the latest information on our guitar gear.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ThetaProDSP/
http://www.samash.com/theta-pro-dsp-preamp-multi-effects-processor-pedal-ithetapro-p

ISP Technologies Theta Pro DSP Preamp and Multi-effects Pedal Preamp and Multi-effects Pedal
http://www.isptechnologies.com/portfolio/theta-pro-dsp/
The new patented ISP Technologies THETA PRO DSP™ is a Floor controller with the programmable digital Theta preamp plus built in Studio quality effects processing. The THETA PRO DSP is based on ISP Technologies new DSP platform using a 32 bit floating point processor and the latest generation of high quality audio converters. The ISP engineering team continues its Digital Signal Processing legacy with the original designers of the Intellifex®, Chameleon®, Voodoo Valve® and Prophesy® working to make the THETA PRO™ the ultimate DSP processor with the tone and sound quality surpassing any digital guitar processer available. The THETA PRO™ is fully programmable with a DSP software version of the ISP Technologies Theta Preamp providing super high gain and zero aliasing typical in other digital preamps with considerably less gain. This allows over the top gain unlike any other digital preamp without any background aliasing.

The THETA PRO DSP will also provide a classic preamp for vintage tones and a full complement of built in studio quality digital effects. Instant access to your effects allows you to switch your individual effects on or off in any of your programmed presets. Also included is a full digital implementation of the Decimator noise reduction for silent operation and dual stereo outputs with one stereo out to drive a guitar rig and a second with ISP's speaker simulated output for direct recording or line out to the mixer. The Speaker outputs offer ISP's new "TRUE SPEAKER™" convolved speaker outputs providing the actual time domain aspects of vintage speakers with adjustable microphone placement. An input for an external expression pedal map-able to countless parameters for on the fly control is also included. The THETA PRO DSP includes 256 user programmable presets for sound library storage. Designed and manufactured in the USA. For more information on the Theta Pro DSP, please visit www.isptechnologies.com.

Preamp, Effects, and Impressive Versatility
More than a guitar preamp, effects processor and floor controller, the ISP Technologies Theta Pro DSP pedal is ready to be the heart of your guitar rig. It's a fully-programmable digital version of ISP's acclaimed Theta Preamp, and it can serve up ultra-high-gain tone with no aliasing. Create your own custom effects chain, then simultaneously drive your amplifier rig while sending speaker-emulated outputs direct to the PA system. Guitarists and engineers at Sweetwater are impressed with the versatility of the ISP Technologies Theta Pro DSP pedal, and we're sure you'll find it more than capable both on stage and in the studio.

ISP Technologies Theta Pro DSP Preamp Pedal at a Glance:
Your one-stop tone shop for electric guitar
True Speaker emulated output for huge tone without a speaker cabinet
Ultra-quiet operation with Decimator noise reduction built in
Your one-stop tone shop for electric guitar
In all, the ISP Technologies Theta Pro DSP pedal can serve several duties in your guitar rig. It's a tone-packed preamplifier with impressive sonic range - from rich and clean to the highest-gain tone, this preamp has you covered. You get a range of great-sounding effects, with individual control over each from the smart switching layout. Save up to 256 of your custom presets for instant recall. When you're ready to rock you can plug into your power amplifier, send a speaker emulated output direct to the sound system or recording device, or even both simultaneously.

True Speaker emulated output for huge tone without a speaker cabinet
ISP Technologies calls the Theta Pro DSP's speaker-emulated technology "True Speaker" convolution, because you have practically as much control over your tone as if you were miking a real guitar amplifier's speaker. It emulates vintage speaker models with amazing results, and you can alter the sound by repositioning the virtual microphone. Whether you want to record in your studio without a loud speaker cabinet, or want to reduce volume on stage during gigs, you'll appreciate the flexibility of the Theta Pro DSP preamp pedal.

Ultra-quiet operation with Decimator noise reduction built in
You won't struggle with buzz and hum with the Theta Pro DSP in your guitar rig. It has ISP Technologies' acclaimed Decimator noise reduction technology built right in, and it's ready to cut out noise without affecting your tone or playing dynamics. Even if your tone relies on ultra-high gain settings, your rig will be whisper quiet when you're not playing.

ISP Technologies Theta Pro DSP Preamp Pedal Features:
Preamp and multi-effects pedal for electric guitar
Based on the acclaimed Theta digital preamp pedal
Redesigned DSP platform with 32-bit floating point processing for amazing depth, detail, and dynamic
Pedalboard-style control over wah, mod, and delay effects
Rugged and ready for the road
Stereo outputs for your guitar rig
Stereo speaker-emulated outputs for great tone without a speaker cabinet
Make the ISP Technologies Theta Pro DSP the brain of your guitar rig!

Tech Specs
Pedal Type   Multi-FX
Number of Effects   4

QuoteWell, after playing with it for three days at Gearfest and writing several presets at night in the hotel, I can't find anything this unit CAN'T do as far as types of cleans, distortions, low, mid, high gain, etc... there's a great 'sag' feature that colors the gain in a great way (emulates power amp pull?) and then throwing the compressor on top of that yields some really sweet dynamic tones... far away from super high gain metal stuff; which it also does supremely well... I got one of the Sweetwater sales guys to grab me an 8 string and I threw on one of the meaner settings and drew a crowd of metal heads! Very fun...

I played a six string Charvel on it all weekend (humbucker, single coil set up) with an EMG 57 and SAVX... and MAN, rolling off the volume got some dynamics I've rarely heard/felt elsewhere. There was a nice Vox amp not two booths down being used to demo some pedals that had a very particular tone to it (very Vox-like... :) ) and I tweaked some settings to see if I could match it... a very loud environment for sure, but it seemed to be easy to get in the ball park. Same with the Friedman guys a few feet down from us too... took a listen, tried to emulate what I could hear and again, seemed to do just fine...

The three different preamps on board, Clean, Vintage, Theta, plus the pre-distort EQ and the post-distort EQ (and the compression and sag)... just amazing the sound sculpting that can go on. (There's a Global EQ as well that work across all presets so if you play in a particularly crazy house one night, and then a different one the next, you don't have to alter each preset). I wrote one preset to capture that Alex Lifeson "Limelight" tone... threw a chorus on there and it was awesome. Took the chorus away, rolled off the volume, and it was in another world. I was using the Vintage preamp with lots of sag and compression. Just amazing. Buck actually said it was one of his favorite presets so far! (Ethan Brosh wrote several, as did Buck and Bill up at ISP).

QuoteTheta ROCKS again!!!!
by Adam from Bloomington, IN
Music Background: Lifelong musician
January 28, 2015
I demoed the snot out of this thing at NAMM. Everything it's cracked up to be. Sonically, it's just amazing. And at NAMM, it was just a prototype!!!

The Theta preamp is just like the analog versions you find in the head, combo, rack and floor pedal Theta. The four-voice chorus is rich, smooth, clear and incredible. Delay and reverbs that are lush and open. Tremelo, phaser (is excellent) and a great flange.

An expression pedal out that can control any parameter you assign it to... two XLR outs with KILLER cabinet emulators and simultaneous 1/4 inch stage outs with their own separate volume so you don't have to fight the sound guy.

A Vintage preamp for blues, jazz, rock and mid gain tones that is dynamic and response to pick attack and rolling off/on the volume knob on your guitar.

A Jump feature to jump from one preset to another without scrolling... many other killer features... but most importantly ALL OF IT SOUNDS AMAZING. Decimator built in to kill any noise.

Simply incredible..

aliensporebomb

Wow.  That's really, really, really, really RED.

But it might be fun to play with, that's for sure.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

whippinpost91850

I was really surprised when Buck told me a few months ago that Theta did not have MIDI. I'm hoping to stop there facilities, tomorrow and check it out.

Elantric

QuoteI was really surprised when Buck told me a few months ago that Theta did not have MIDI.

I agree - ISP is a bit out of touch with the No MIDI Control on a $1300 Guitar MultiFX.

I figure its the same metal shredders who are telling Positive Grid they dont need remote MIDI control for BIAS

But it solves lots of post sale customer support calls

whippinpost91850

Quote from:  Elantric on July 14, 2015, 09:43:15 AM
I agree - ISP is a bit out of touch with the No MIDI Control on a $1300 Guitar MultiFX.

I figure its the same metal shredders who are telling Positive Grid they dont need remote MIDI control for BIAS

But it solves lots of post sale customer support calls
True, but considering ISP and his previous company Rocktron had MIDI on previous processors I was pretty surprised.

Panthersn

Being that the former Rocktron folks were key in designing this pedal, are we basically looking at an upgraded Utopia G300 (minus midi & expression)???   After selling my Kemper rackmount I'm looking at this and the Helix.  Tough decision, the Helix has more bells and whistles for sure (love the LED readouts for each stomp switch)  but for pure tone the ISP might take it.   The only thing that concerns me is the lack of product info on the ISP webpage, for a product that is due to ship in the next month you would think we would have a list of amp models and effects... ???

whippinpost91850

Talking with Buck the President of ISP ( HE was in buying a car with his daughter) who I've known for 25 years, I'm not sure there are any Amp Models. He mostly kept talking about how much gain it had and didn't even mention the great chorus it has ???.  I tried to get to his office/ factory Wed, but I couldn't make it. I'm gonna try this week

Panthersn

You might be correct, now that I think about it, the G300 didn't have "amp models" like JCM900 or Twin Reverb, it had generic clean, British, Texas & Mega...etc.  Argg for $1,298.00 I'm going to need info before I pull the trigger.  I guess that's the beauty about the Helix, all the info is readily available.

Elantric

No MIDI I/O on the THETA-PRO was the biggest gripe I heard on most boards
But perhaps they responded to public demand 

here is pic of ISP THETA PRO DSP from last April 2015 ( observe No MIDI In / Out yet)

Compare with the the recent cut sheet - with new In / Out silk screen on the far left side
http://www.isptechnologies.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/THETA-PRO-DSP-Cutsheet.pdf

ISP needs far better marketing, since they still make zero mention of MIDI in the spec sheet  - but it looks like a last minute add on - and perhaps explains the delays to market 

Panthersn

Received the Theta Pro yesterday morning, I had a chance to play it at home for about four hours and took it out and played thru a crest audio board.  The presets are good but limited.  The user interface is Caveman primitive, its like transporting back to 1990.  It does hard rock to metal well, however like the guy running the sound board said while I was going thru the presets was "sounds like the same patch with different variations & effects".  I spend an hour trying to dial in a blues clean patch with not so great results.  First thing you notice is no power switch just like the 500x, no built in tuner or effects loop.  This unit is way overpriced, I would say $600 would be fair.   Time for me to eat some crow, the Vypyr pro was a much better bang for the buck!!  :(

Elantric

Thanks for the : ISP - Theta Pro DSP Preamp review - (sadly) this matches my expectations

rsm

I picked up an ISP Theta Pro Michael Sweet, and it sounds great to me.  The '80s in a box, and reminds me of my old ADA rig from back in the day (MP-1 + MQ-1, which I replaced with the MP-2 which I still have).

Got an ISP Stealth Pro amp for it, and the recommended Mission Engineering expression pedal.  Sounds great with the stage outs into a Marshall 4x12 or Mesa 2x12. The direct outs work great with my powered PA with subs.

I recently sold my Engl E530 preamp, and decided to keep my Engl E850/100 power amp;

I plan to try the stage outs into my Engl 850, with each side going to an Engl E212 PRO cab.

I ignored these for years because of the features and price vs digital modelers until I realized it's not a modeler, it's an old school rack preamp with basic effects.

Sounds and works great for me!
rsm
bass | guitar | keys | Push

Rickenbacker | Steinberger | Boss | Roland
Using Digital and Solid State by Choice