FC-300 Firmware 1.02 Update

Started by Elantric, January 23, 2008, 06:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

FC-300 Firmware 1.02 Update!

http://www.roland.co.jp/support/downloads/index.cfm?ln=jp&SearchBy=RcId&dst=P&iRcId=0000021661&dsp=1&sPrNm=FC%2D300
http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/dld.cfm?ln=en&dsp=0&iCncd=2180
http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?dsection=d_downloads&ObjectId=850

Unzip attachment for 64 MIDI files.

What exactly does the FC300 update do?
===============================

Fix a operational problem that occurs when [UP]/ [DOWN] pedals are used under the "IMMEDIATE" mode of UTILITY - Bnk Chk Mode parameter.

* This update is via MIDI, therefore a MIDI sequencer is required to transfer the SMF files to the FC-300. Depending on the sequencer, it may not be able to playback large amount of system exclusive messages. Using the UpdSMF is recommended.

Tools for Update:
===================
SMF Player - for Windows
ftp://ftp.roland.co.uk/productsupport/DownloadsAndUpdates/SMFPLAYR.zip

QMIDI - Mac SMF Update utility
ftp://ftp.roland.co.uk/productsupport/DownloadsAndUpdates/QMIDI_18_OSX_INTEL.dmg

ftp://ftp.roland.co.uk/productsupport/DownloadsAndUpdates/Q-MIDI%20Application%20SMF%20Player%20for%20Mac%20.sit

ftp://ftp.roland.co.uk/productsupport/DownloadsAndUpdates/Q-MIDI%20Application%20SMF%20Player%20for%20Mac%20.zip

kisielk

It's more like "there are some cases where the Up and Down pedals may hang up when the utility mode is set to immediate while in patch mode."
That's my interpretation..

sjbinhb

The firmware 1.02 update for the FC-300 is now available for download at the Roland US website, in addition to Roland Japan's website.  Installation instructions are provided in the download, but no description as to what the update does.  Still have to rely on Roland Japan's explanation.

Roland US link:
http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?dsection=d_downloads&ObjectId=850

mos6507

Isn't there a way to update the FC-300 through the VG-99?  The update instructions just tell you to hook up the MIDI cable, presumably with the unit plugged into the wall rather than to the VG-99.  More inconveniences for the user :(

Michael Dolan Doubleneck
Les Paul Custom

VG-99
FTP

dead_lizard

Gatormike

Bumping this thread.  Can one update the FC-300 through the VG-99 and the RRC cable as opposed to buying a midi interface and cable?  If the USB/RRC cable can be used, can someone detail the process for us NEWBIEs please? 

If not, and you need to use a midi cable, can I use my MOTU Traveler as the Midi Interface or is this more trouble than it is worth (possibly screwing up my Traveler?).  I think they make MIDI cable with a USB on the other end.  Does that work for this process? 

Sorry for my confusion, but I do not understand MIDI firmware updates well and I don't want to screw up my setup or equipment.  Thanks a lot.  Mike

Elantric

I have not updated mine yet - I would wait until there is a major FC-300 change worth having.

Gatormike

Cool, thanks Sustainiac!  I am always anal about getting new gear updated, but I am not going to be a highly complex FC-300 user.  Again, appreciate the advice.  Mike

mos6507

Quote from: Gatormike on February 15, 2008, 08:55:58 AM
Bumping this thread.  Can one update the FC-300 through the VG-99 and the RRC cable as opposed to buying a midi interface and cable?

Not that I'm aware of.  The FC-300 is in dire need of a PC editor, or update of the VG-99 editor to encompass the FC-300 as well.

Michael Dolan Doubleneck
Les Paul Custom

VG-99
FTP

Vistar

;) :D

MIDI UPDATE

hey for those of you struggling with to midi or not, I just got the $40 midi/usb cable and installed the upgrade for the VG-99, for my piezo pickup on my Godin rmc....it worked real well, takes about a half hour---you only need this if the GK choices don't cover your guitar, and if you are experiencing buzzing on some patches.

Upgrades via midi are more stable and sure, then using just usb.

Also, the fc-300 should power by itself when plugged into the VG-99, so no wall plugs needed.

ANYONE UNDERSTAND THE ORDER/WHY OF PATCHES AND HOW THAT WORKS, VIS A VIS THE PRESETS?

Vistar

njmowatt

How does one find out what firmware revision is in the FC300?

==========

FC-300
Viewing the current version:
1. Hold down the PARAMETER < and > buttons and switch on the power, - the program version is displayed in the LCD display.

njmowatt

Nevermind, I found out by one of the included files of the update download.

shawnb

Elantric -
Link for the SMF Player above no longer works.  I found one here, on the Roland US site:
http://www.rolandus.com/support/downloads_updates/eula.php?FileName=SMFPLAYR.ZIP
Shawn
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Now_And_Then

Well I just got around, after putting it off for a long long time, to updating my FC-300.  One of the reasons that I waited so long is that the instructions given here in this thread made things seems a little more complicated than they need to be. So I have decided to write my experience here and maybe it will prove useful to someone.

(In case you have forgotten, the procedure for verifying the firmware of the FC-300 is to power up the unit or to power up the VG-99 to which the FC-300 is attached, while pressing both of the FC-300's Parameter keys.)

Cables used:
RRC2 Cable (or any non-crossover Cat 5 Ethernet cable will work too.)
5-pin DIN midi cable.

Here is the actual procedure:

I took a VG-99 with NO USB cable attached.

I used a 5-pin DIN midi cable to connect the 5-pin DIN MIDI output of my RME Multiface to the 5-pin DIN MIDI input of the FC-300. (I.e. no USB or USB/MIDI cable was necessary.)

I connected the FC-300 to the VG-99 with the RRC2 cable - although any Cat 5 Ethernet (non-crossover) cable will work. This is to power up and power down the FC-300 by powering up and powering down the VG-99.

While holding the EXIT and WRITE buttons on the FC-300, I powered up the VG-99 and I continued to hold the EXIT and WRITE buttons until the LED display on the FC-300 read "UPd". The FC-300 is now in Update Mode.

I then launched the updSMF Player and

1) for my MIDI Out Device I chose "Multiface Midi";

2) I navigated to the folder where the midi files of the v1.02 update were located; and

3) I clicked on the "Scan SMF" button and the updSMF Player found and listed all the midi files in the folder.

4) I clicked the "Send" button.

The FC-300 immediately showed me a message saying "Receiving" (or something similar, I don't recall exactly) and after a few minutes, it send me a message saying "Completed". (This is a pretty quick update, unlike updating the VG-99.)

I then powered off the VG-99 which also powered off the FC-300, and then while holding both parameter keys on the FC-300 I powered up the VG-99 again. The FC-300 told me that the installed firmware was now v1.02.

The main points are that a USB or USB/MIDI cable is not needed, and that the VG-99 can act as a power supply for the FC-300 while updating (as it usually does, anyway.)