Is the top header bar useful?

Started by Slackjaw, September 27, 2010, 03:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slackjaw

I'm wondering how many folks find the info center bar useful?  I, for one, rarely use it al all.  I am going to see if there is a smaller one that takes up less real-estate but still provides the links.  I'd also be ok reformattting the module, as long as I keep the same content within the module.  Thoughts?
My Rig: Brian Moore i2.13 > Guitar Rig 4 and Roland GR-09 > Ableton Live 8 Suite > Alesis  MasterControl > Little Dot 1+ > Allesandro MS-1 Headphones > My Head > My Soul

Slackjaw

I've added the same functionality "replies" and "unread" right into the main menu ribbon. 

I am considering removing the whole section there at the top and the shoutbox from the main page.  Instead there would be a indicator of who was in chat and then one could just click to hop into the chat room.

I'd think that the upper real-estate could be better used for something else.

Open to ideas.
My Rig: Brian Moore i2.13 > Guitar Rig 4 and Roland GR-09 > Ableton Live 8 Suite > Alesis  MasterControl > Little Dot 1+ > Allesandro MS-1 Headphones > My Head > My Soul

A2theT

This thread has gone a bit of awry but I'll add to the changing discussion.
The three things I use when I log on 99% of the time are:
"Show recent posts from all topics."
"Show unread posts since last visit. "
"Show new replies to your posts."
I don't really have any use for other content but always open to ideas.

Additionally, the new logo shows up fine for me in I.E. but its a no-show in both FireFox and Opera.  You just get an image placeholder instead.
See below:

HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

Brent Flash

Quote from: Admin Rob on September 27, 2010, 04:43:07 AM
I've added the same functionality "replies" and "unread" right into the main menu ribbon. 

I am considering removing the whole section there at the top and the shoutbox from the main page.  Instead there would be a indicator of who was in chat and then one could just click to hop into the chat room.

I'd think that the upper real-estate could be better used for something else.

Open to ideas.
If you are talking about the area that starts with "HELLO User Name", I keep that one collapsed so I would not miss it. I agree about the top real estate.

Slackjaw

Quote from:  ddlooping
I'm not sure what you mean, Rob, as all I've done in the mockup is move the logged-in user avatar and "Show recent posts from all topics...." info to the right and put the logo on the left.
I haven't made any changes to the rest of the layout.
That was made from an Opera screen capture though, where A to the T already mentioned the logo does not appear.

Right...but moving the "show recent posts" info in the graphic header where the logo is, is moving an active component from one "section" to another section...which is what I would like to avoid.  Don't get me wrong...of course anything can be done, but the more simple I make edits that stray from the default the less I need to worry about as updates come along.  The top header is, (for me), best left as a static section with the logo and whatever else like mottos and taglines and that sort of thing.  The section below that is where active content can go.  But It seems like a wasted section.  Of the three links, two of them currently also exist in the main ribbon menu.  And the most recent posts exists at the bottom, but another ribbon menu button could be added.  So then all that's really left is the avatar.  Not sure if that's enough to hold the section. 

Feedback? 

paults

"Show unread posts since last visit" is my favorite feature. It is so much quicker than looking through the sub-forums.

Slackjaw

Check out the "unread" button in the main menu ribbon.

Slackjaw

Quote from: paults on September 27, 2010, 04:38:19 PM
"Show unread posts since last visit" is my favorite feature. It is so much quicker than looking through the sub-forums.

There is now a main menu buttons called "Recent", "Unread", and "Replies" which accomplish the same things without taking up several vertical lines of real estate.  How's that?

A2theT

Quote from: paults on September 27, 2010, 04:38:19 PM

AGREED!
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

paults

Quote from: Admin Rob on September 27, 2010, 06:23:20 PM
Check out the "unread" button in the main menu ribbon.

Yes - I saw you moved all three of those links to buttons. Nice! That's a great way to clean up the look of the page, or to put something else there.   

I was answering your question about usefulness of the features.  I didn't want them to go away :)