Which internal PU?

Started by NZPaul, July 03, 2012, 12:29:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NZPaul

Hi,

I've just joined this forum and would like to ask a quick question.

I bought my VG99 about 3 years ago but I've only used it so far with an external GK3. As I'm left-handed I always find it difficult to find good guitars so I've finally decided to have a custom guitar made. I've asked the luthier to install an internal GK3 but he's suggesting a graphtech ghost pickup instead. So far nothing I've read here is very positive about these (including the sticky on PU Types at the top of this thread) although most of the comments are a few years old so things may have moved on a little since then.

Has anyone had any success with the these with the vg99 COSM's? Or is the GK3 still the best option for optimal COSM response/playability?

Cheers

Paul

montyrivers

Hey Paul,

The Piezo/Ghost stuff isn't unuseable with VG, but you would probably need to buy the subsonic filter mod for it, installing it into the VG 99 also means voiding the warranty.  Just something to consider.

Personally I use the GK 3.  Properly set- up the guitar to midi tracking is on par with a lot of piezo systems and there's no comparison when it comes to analog modelling.  Magnetic works a lot better with the VG 99, especially for synth and electric guitar models.

NZPaul

Thanks for the quick reply. That's what I suspected. It's primarily analog modelling that I want it for so I'll ask the Luthier to stay with the GK3 

Cheers

Paul

highlandsrock

Hello Paul

I've got a Godin Freeway equipped with piezos and an Ibanez RG with an internally fitted GK3 - driving a GR55. IMHO, for COSM patches, the piezo seems to give the sounds more body that the GK3, but there really isn't a lot in it. If I was forced to keep just one guitar it would be the Ibanez as the GK3 works best with all the other sounds that the GR55 can produce. There is less false triggering than the piezo, especially on sounds such as the pianos and the infamous GR300. So if you are going to use more than the COSM sounds I'd go for the internal GT3 kit. It can be installed fairly unobtrusively.

Hope that helps with your decision

Regards

Nigel
Ibanez RG870 with GT3 internal kit +
GR-33, VG-99, GR-55, GP-10, SY-1000, Strymon Big Sky

whippinpost91850

Welcome Paul ,from another "Lefty"Paul... I use an internal mount GK3, with a Gr55 and a Vg99. I find the modeled guitars and amps have a richer tone with the Gk3 over Peizo Pups. Just my 2 cents.

NZPaul

Thanks – it's great to hear from people who've tried both options.  I'll definitely stick with the internal GK3.  BTW great looking guitar Nigel.

Also nice to know there are other lefties here.  I'm sure you'll appreciate the frustration of trying to buy a good left-handed guitar 

whippinpost91850

Yes I've been dealing with it for over 40 years. If you think it's frustrating now, you should have experienced back in the 60's and 70's. I still need to post my custom guitar, it started off as an internal mount Roland 24pin kit. Anyway again welcome. You'll love it here and learn alot.
PS: If anyone needs a Roland 24 pin kit I have a few new ones left. pm me. Paul (whippinpost)

NZPaul

Thanks Paul, yes, I'm hoping to learn a lot from this forum and also hopefully contribute something.

I didn't start to learn to play guitar until the 80's and my first couple of guitars were cheap second hand right-hand models . Most right handed guitarists I know have gradually built up a collection of different guitars for different sounds but that's not much of an option if you're left handed (unless you've got money to burn) so I bought the VG99 to fill that gap. It's also ideal because I'm primarily interested in home recording.  My level of guitar playing has always been a bit basic so recently I thought I'd give myself an incentive to learn properly.  I promised myself that if I could raise my playing to the next level then I'd buy a decent guitar (a Gibson LP or a PRS) but as I live in New Zealand (I originally came from the UK) the price over here for an LP makes it actually cheaper to fly to the US and buy one there, and of course being left handed means I'd have to order one which means buying it sight unseen. But in the process of looking around at the options I found a great custom guitar house in NZ (http://www.ashcustomworks.com/) and read some fantastic reviews from people who'd bought from them.  The other bonus of this option is that they can fit the GK3 as part of the build.  This has turned my incentive idea around a bit though because, as they've said to allow 9 – 12 months for the queue, design and build process I've decided to place my order now   :)