My GR-55 MIDI performance sucks !

Started by djnik1362, July 18, 2011, 07:59:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djnik1362

Hi
I recently purchase a GR-55 with GK-3 pickup.
After a big trouble in installing GK-3 i succeed and play with GR-55.
The performance is great and sounds are amazing but ...

I connect GR-55 to PC via USB and MIDI for playing some virtual instrument.

The latency is little but the response sucks !
I play in moderate speed but GR-55 can't response to all notes.
I have very pitch shifting MIDI messages and there is plenty of wrong notes .
I have very disappointed because one of main goals of purchasing GR-55 was using it via MIDI.

My GK-3 is in good position and have a good performance when i using GR-55 internal synth.

Can you help me to solve this problem or GR-55 is all about ?

Thanks for your support.

Elantric

Provide a complete list of all the other gear, computer type, OS, software used.

marianghioda

The problem lies with your sound module, whatever might it be. Read the other posts in the forum, the GR-55 sends MIDI very fast.
I had the GR-33, the VG-99 and the reason I got the GR-55 was the MIDI response, and like everybody, I'm very happy with that.

shawnb

Causes of this type of experience when communicating ANY guitar synth performance to ANY other device are:

1)  Xmitting in POLY mode instead of MONO mode.   Make sure both expect communications in MONO mode, so each string gets its distinct channel.    Make sure both devices are expecting the info on the same set of channels, e.g., 11-16.   

2)  Ensure the PBR, Pitch Bend Range, is the same value on both devices.   Having PBRs out of sync totally messes up your string bends, intonation, everything...

3)  Rarely, but sometimes thinning the data solves issues, if your 'downstream' system can't keep up with the MIDI traffic.  This would be more of a problem on older gear, or an older or resource-taxed PC.   ("DATA THIN")

These settings are covered on page 79 in the manual, under SYSTEM settings, MIDI/USB. 

What is not explicitly covered on page 79 is the actual PBR sent for string performance.   There is a setting for the "EXP PDL BEND RANGE", but no setting for your actual performance data from the strings.  Another thread here (link below) notes that the PBR on the GR-55 is fixed at 24.   I can't find that in the manual, but in this thread, changing the target synth to PBR of 24 seems to have worked with the GR-55:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3753.0

The thread above also notes that having your GK settings in your GR-55 is crucial as well, such as scale length, etc.  So, if you haven't already, double-check your GK settings & ensure they're accurate.

Hope this helps!

Shawn

(Edit:  In the manual page 91, under Troubleshooting/When using the GR-55 with other MIDI devices/computer, it states to set your PBR on your receiving device to 24.   So it's in the manual, but under the troubleshooting section...)
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Joe Porto

I just tried using the GR-55 to control a few instruments in Logic. You need to set the GR to Poly, and Chromatic in the MIDI setup. Setting the Velocity and Cutoff in the GK settings also helped quite a bit. After doing this, I could play Logic's B3 and EP instruments pretty well, but still not quite as well as the GR's internal sounds. It's definitely usable though. If you are having tuning problems, setting the bend range to chromatic should solve that.

shawnb

True, chromatic helps a lot.   But you lose all string bend capability.    Works great for some voices, e.g. piano, organ.   Even works for horns sometimes -  if you have legato on.   

But the GR-55 must xmit in MONO for chords, string bends, etc, to be rendered properly by the receiving synth.    Otherwise all the data gets blended together, including bend info for each string, all for one voice on the target synth.  It can't make sense of that...

The receiving synth needs to be in polyphonic mode to play chords.   But it must also recognize that six channels of info, one per string, are coming its way.

Hope this helps,
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

djnik1362

Quote from: Elantric on July 18, 2011, 08:25:13 AM
Provide a complete list of all the other gear, computer type, OS, software used.

Windows XP SP2
FL Studio as a VST Host
Dimention Pro V1.2 as a VST
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 as MIDI driver (I use GR-55 USB-MIDI driver too)

Thanks .

djnik1362

Quote from: marianghioda on July 18, 2011, 09:15:23 AM
The problem lies with your sound module, whatever might it be. Read the other posts in the forum, the GR-55 sends MIDI very fast.
I had the GR-33, the VG-99 and the reason I got the GR-55 was the MIDI response, and like everybody, I'm very happy with that.

Can you upload a video or a music clip with your MIDI performance ?

Thanks.

djnik1362

Quote from: shawnb on July 18, 2011, 12:52:27 PM
Causes of this type of experience when communicating ANY guitar synth performance to ANY other device are:

1)  Xmitting in POLY mode instead of MONO mode.   Make sure both expect communications in MONO mode, so each string gets its distinct channel.    Make sure both devices are expecting the info on the same set of channels, e.g., 11-16.   

2)  Ensure the PBR, Pitch Bend Range, is the same value on both devices.   Having PBRs out of sync totally messes up your string bends, intonation, everything...

3)  Rarely, but sometimes thinning the data solves issues, if your 'downstream' system can't keep up with the MIDI traffic.  This would be more of a problem on older gear, or an older or resource-taxed PC.   ("DATA THIN")

These settings are covered on page 79 in the manual, under SYSTEM settings, MIDI/USB. 

What is not explicitly covered on page 79 is the actual PBR sent for string performance.   There is a setting for the "EXP PDL BEND RANGE", but no setting for your actual performance data from the strings.  Another thread here (link below) notes that the PBR on the GR-55 is fixed at 24.   I can't find that in the manual, but in this thread, changing the target synth to PBR of 24 seems to have worked with the GR-55:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3753.0

The thread above also notes that having your GK settings in your GR-55 is crucial as well, such as scale length, etc.  So, if you haven't already, double-check your GK settings & ensure they're accurate.

Hope this helps!

Shawn

(Edit:  In the manual page 91, under Troubleshooting/When using the GR-55 with other MIDI devices/computer, it states to set your PBR on your receiving device to 24.   So it's in the manual, but under the troubleshooting section...)

The setting was in MONO mode but i change it to poly if i got better performance . I will change it to MONO and
post the result on this topic later.
If channels don't match what happens ? My VST receive MIDI and play sounds but in a bad condition without changing it's receive channel or mode .
I have very pitch bend messages . Is this required for performance or not ? can i disable it ?
When GR-55 send MIDI can i disable internal synth ?

Thanks for your support. very useful .