FC-300 makes no sense to me.

Started by ebass4life, December 01, 2009, 03:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebass4life

I am very new to midi.  I bought a Vb-99 about 2 months ago.  I absolutely love it.  I only use it for live sound.  To my suprise, I have been able to figure out how to do almost everything I want it to do.  Then I got the FC-300.  I am so lost.  The instructions seem like they are in a different language to me.  The only things I can figure out is how to work the tuner and how to switch patches.  So I have a couple questions that I think will be easy to most.

1.  I have channel A & B coming out of seperate speakers.  I would like to be able to turn them on and off so I can have them running 1 at a time or both at the same time.  Can I do this with the FC-300?  I have been doing this with volume pedals but I would like to use the FC-300.

2.  Can I turn effects like chorus or distortion on and off with the FC-300 without switching the patch?

3.  I would really like to understand this stuff without constintly posting questions.  Where is a good place to start?  Is there a "midi for dummies" book or something like that?

I apologize if these questions have been asked and I didn't see the post.  I am very grateful for any help.

Thanks.

Brent Flash

I'll see if I can help you out.

The first thing I want to say is don't worry about learning MIDI just yet. All you need to do is keep the FC-300 in SYXEX mode and things will be much easier.

Next learn how to assign controllers in the VB editor. Are you using the editor yet? If not you need to get that going.

Once you get the editor going you will assign the FC-300 switches and pedals to what you want to control. You don't need to know CC# as long as you keep it in SYSEX mode.

There are two ways to assign controllers so you need to decide how you want yours to work. One way is for every patch you have the controllers set up for that patch. And the other way is to use the global controller assign that will override any patch assignments. I always have different things that I control on each patch so I use the per patch method. You will need to decide which method works best for you.

Hope this will get you going and then you can ask more questions once you get into it a little more.

ebass4life

I haven't done anything with the editor yet. I will start messing around with it tonight. Thank you so much for your help.

ebass4life

OK.  I got the editor up and running.  Very cool I might ad.  Still a little lost on how to make the FC-300 do what I want to do.  I want to:

1.  Be able to turn Channel A and B on and off so I can have them running 1 at a time or both at the same time. 

2.  Turn effects like chorus or distortion on and off without switching the patch.

From noodeling I'm "guessing" I click on details next to system/midi/usb/v-link?  Then click on CTL?  but then I'm lost.

Thanks.

Brent Flash

Quote from: ebass4life on December 04, 2009, 03:48:06 PM
OK.  I got the editor up and running.  Very cool I might ad.  Still a little lost on how to make the FC-300 do what I want to do.  I want to:

1.  Be able to turn Channel A and B on and off so I can have them running 1 at a time or both at the same time. 
You could do this with a pedal or a switch it will just take a little thought about how you want to control it.
2.  Turn effects like chorus or distortion on and off without switching the patch.
I would use switches for this. So that would only leave you pedals to do the Channel A and B controls you are talking about.
From noodeling I'm "guessing" I click on details next to system/midi/usb/v-link?  Then click on CTL?  but then I'm lost.
This is where you would do the global setting of control for the FC-300 that will override any patch settings. I am on the road and don't have access to the choices that are available and I don't have them memorized so I can't tell you what they are. But it is quite possible that the global settings that are available aren't the ones you need. Maybe another member can assist you from here.

If you want to use the patch control settings they are in the CONTOLL ASSIGN pane of the editor under FC-300.

bob e

Welcome ebass4life.  Sorry you haven't got it running the way you want it yet.  Speaking for myself, this seems like a subject that is covered in both the VG-99 and FC-300 owner manuels.  Do you have them?  Have you read them?   Everything seemed really overwhelming to me for a long time.  This is one featue I've found a simple way to program. This can be done without the editor program, or even with that running.  You can use the actual unit controls either way.

Bring up the patch you want to work on.  Make sure both channels are fully "on",  i.e. guitar, amp, effects, mixers all the way you want.  (You may need to have the channel balance in both mixers set to 50%.)  Press system button.  Press Control button.  Scroll down to FC-300 expression 1.  Move over to assignments and scroll down to AB balance.  Press exit  button until back to patch screen.  Now, toe down gives you one channel.  Heel down the other channel.  You can cross fade between the two or use either extreme easily.  This will affect all patches as is is a SYSTEM Control Assignment.  I also have FC-300 exp pedal 2 set to foot volume.  For me, this is a simple solution.  Setting up controller options on a per patch basis is more complicated and flexible which is a wonderful thing and part of the benefit of the unit.  But, that may be something you work up to...
Bob E.

bob e

To turn effects on or off, press CONTROL button on the unit.  Tab over to Control switch 1.  Press that button.  Turn that controller switch to ON.  (Tab to next page?)  Use knobs to scroll to whatever effect you want to control.  I.E., turn on delay for both channel a and b.  So, scroll to channel a effects, then delay, then delay switch.  Now tab over to next page.  Select latching switch.  Tab over to 3rd page in this menu which gives you same options.  Turn it to ON.  Select channel b effects.  Then delay, then delay switch.  Tab over and select latching.  Now, press (back?) exit until at controller main menu.  Tab over several pages to FC-300 Control switch 1.  Select it and repeat everything you just did.  If done correctly, you will be prompted about double assignments which is a good thing for this set up.  If you set both switches up correctly they are linked together and both perform exactly the same operation.  Repeat as desired for control 2 switches.

DISCLAIMER:  These two posts are written entirely from memory.  No manual are hardware was referred to.  Therefore, please refer to manuals and additional user documents available here and at Roland site for accurate tutorials.

Rock On!

acousticglue

Until Roland upates the firmware and offers more options and compared with the difficulty in learning a foot controller and midi, I am waiting on foot controller additions.

fokof

ebass4life ; I've sent you an email to your adress....

ebass4life

THANK YOU SO MUCH to everyone who sent a response and email.  I've got it all working now and even a little better understanding of how to do other things.  I'm ready to rock!!!  Thanks again.

ebass4life

I'm back!  Again, thanks for the help.  Even the instructions make a little more sense to me.  But I have a new question.

I've been able to assign the effects I want to the switches I want on my FC-300.  With 1 exception.  I use the harmonist under Mod 1.  I want to assign it to ctl 2.  i have been able to do it.  But I have to hold the switch in for it to stay on.  As soon as I let go, it's off.  Can I turn it on and off without having to hold it in?

Thanks.

Brent Flash

Quote from: ebass4life on December 08, 2009, 10:17:38 AM
I've been able to assign the effects I want to the switches I want on my FC-300.  With 1 exception.  I use the harmonist under Mod 1.  I want to assign it to ctl 2.  i have been able to do it.  But I have to hold the switch in for it to stay on.  As soon as I let go, it's off.  Can I turn it on and off without having to hold it in?
Thanks.
Yes, on the control page select Momentary or Latch for that switch.

ebass4life

I don't know how i missed that.  I've been doing it for all the other effects.  Thanks.