FC-300- Why are these so expensive? (With explanation )

Started by Threeleggedyoyo, April 19, 2017, 07:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threeleggedyoyo

Why is the FC-300 so expensive? I like it for the smaller form factor, but it's actually got LESS functionality than several other controllers I could name that cost a lot less. What gives?

chrish

I like the boss rc300 for a midi controller and you get other features as well, like a 3 track stereo Looper. 
;D

Ed_Saxman

Quote from: Threeleggedyoyo on April 19, 2017, 07:25:59 PM
Why is the FC-300 so expensive? I like it for the smaller form factor, but it's actually got LESS functionality than several other controllers I could name that cost a lot less. What gives?

Short answer:
Is expensive becouse its Roland.
It gives great functionallity. After 10 years in the market, the FC-300 still have some unique features that absolutely beats any other MIDI foot controller. In short: SYSEX mode, two excellent expression pedals, 11 Footswitches onboard with LEDs, and the posibility to add 7 external FS.

Quote from: chrish on April 19, 2017, 07:37:41 PM
I like the boss rc300 for a midi controller and you get other features as well, like a 3 track stereo Looper. 
;D

That's a good starting point to my long answer. This is my history:

I've sold my RC-300 a week ago. Bought it new, years ago, as fast as it came to the shelves, but finally got bored of its many limitations (and no, its not a good MIDI controller). With the money I took (390€), I bought (mostly second hand):

—Roland FC-300(200€)
—M-Audio Midisport 4x4 Anniversary Edition (50€)
—Bome MIDI translator Pro (license) (59€)
—Some weed

Then I spent a few hours learning about the well documented FC-300's SYSEX mode, as well as the Bome's manual/forums. That was when I realised the huge potential of this machine, as you can control everything bidirectionally using SysEx (including LEDs, external pedals, onboard screens text, etc). And not only "what", but "how". Using the Bome MIDI translator Pro software, I was able to program the behaviour of the different footswitches/Leds using a "RC" approach, just for fun. That includes functions like "hold", double tap, logical conditions, etc.
Could have used that configuration with something like Mobius Looper, but then I found something that better suits my needs. It's called "Akamed Looping System". http://akamed.audiolooping.com/akamed-looping-system

Took me a lot of time to get it working, and a lot more to modify the Bome template to remap the footswitches (the guy was using a lot of external FS) and include some improvements of my own (LEDs control), but now (finally) I'm pretty satisfied with this looping system. No more Sync issues or cheesy drums, no more tied to a single "preset" or song part. Now its like having four RC-300 (with 5 tracks each).

Recently added the app Touchable 3 (IOS) to my setup as a Head Up Display, where I can make the ipad screen to fit exactly the tracks used in Ableton by the Akamed Looping System. This app is able to connect with your computer straight to a USB port (using CCK), so there is no latency. Works great as HUD but it is also an excellent controller for Ableton Live, overall.

So, at the end I'm not missing the RC-300 at all. It was a nightmare to me. I think even a 10€ app (look at Quantiloop 2 in the IOS store) easily surpasses what (and how) the RC-300 can do.
Unfortunately, this kind of great apps (quantiloop, Group the Loop, Loopy, etc) are not available for desktop platforms, so we have to deal with more complex solutions like Mobius or the aforementioned Akamed.

In addition, the expression pedals included in the FC-300 are a true pleasure to use, as they are extremely precise sending values. In my case, considering what I paid for it, this feature alone could worth the price of admission, as my previous MIDI expression pedal was a (very) cheap M-Audio EX-P  ;D
And I definitely prefer the Roland/Boss footswitches feel for computer/keyboards/looper usage over the traditional guitar styled footswitches (with audible clic) included in some other gear I have, or mostly any other MIDI foot controller in the market.

shawnb

It's the '57 Chevy of foot controllers.   It's actually pretty flexible/programmable.   

And it's built like a tank...  And lasts forever...  Supremely gig-worthy.

You could beat Godzilla unconscious with it.

Downside is it is heavy as a tank, too...

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

vtgearhead

I could not get a clear picture of the unit's capabilities from reading the manual.  Lots of "..do this, then do this.." but nothing that simply spells out what you can attach to a given preset.  Another show stopper for me is the lack of an external setup editor.  I found some references to one on line, but all the links were dead.

chrish

Quote"I've sold my RC-300 a week ago. Bought it new, years ago, as fast as it came to the shelves, but finally got bored of its many limitations (and no, its not a good MIDI controller). "

Works for my modest needs. I think I like it because it serves so many purposes in one device. It's a midi controller it's a Master Clock it has FX it's a 3 track stereo Looper it's a metronome it's a rudimentary drum machine it's an audio interface it allows for WAV file transfers it slices dice's.

bholder

Quote from: shawnb on April 22, 2017, 12:34:21 PM
It's the '57 Chevy of foot controllers.   It's actually pretty flexible/programmable.   

And it's built like a tank...  And lasts forever...  Supremely gig-worthy.

You could beat Godzilla unconscious with it.

Downside is it is heavy as a tank, too...

Well, mine arrived today.  Now where's that Godzilla hiding?   ;D
GK-2A on Chapman Grand Stick treble side, GK-3 on Carving Holdsworth Fatboy, GK-3B on Ibanez BTB406QM, Roland GR-55, VG-99, Helix floor, FC-300, US-20, more GK-3s, V-Bass
My crappy tunes: https://soundcloud.com/bill-holder-942023694

Derek Cook

Just saw this, and thought I would chip in. I have had my FC300 since 2008. Not the cheapest, but it was the only one on the market at the time that had a manual that was clear enough (I know, amazing for Roland ;) ) that I could tell it would fit my need! I couldn't work that out from the Behringer and Yamaha alternatives I was looking at at the time.

It has been rock solid and built like a tank. And how many products have been on the market for 13+ years (when was it first released?)

I like it so much that I purchased a second one as a spare as a I am so reliant on it and was a little twitchy about gigging an old item

HorttanaMusix

Hi everyone! I just got myself the FC-300, and I really like the possibilities it gives. I love what the Patch mode enables me to do, and due to scarcity of specific information about it in the Roland manual and on the web all together I thought I'd write a little blog about my experience with it. I'll write it as I get experienced with it. I'll leave a link here, and I welcome all to read it and leave a question if one arises about what the machine in question can do!

https://www.anttihorttana.com/post/roland-fc-300-patch-mode-experience-english

My focus is on patch mode, so that's what the blog is about.

gumtown

Nice one !! I have one hopefully arriving tomorrow, will be good to have it paired with my VG-99- and see what happens.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/