Add a *slope control* to your EV-5 (or similar) expression pedals...

Started by Radley, September 06, 2013, 09:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radley

Add a slope resistor to your EV-5 (or similar) expression pedals. A slope circuit determines how quickly a pedal accelerates to it's higher values, and can be quite helpful in customizing a pedal to feel most natural in it's response to your foot movement. For starters, simply solder a 10k resistor between the red and white wires coming out of the EV's connector cable (at the point where they attach to the main 10k volume pot- if you like the new response, go with it. If the pedal responds too quickly, simply increase the resistor size - if you'd prefer it to come on even more quickly, simply reduce the resistor size, although I personally wouldn't go any lower than 5k. I made my pedals switchable between 2 different slope resistances and stock with a single 3-position mini-toggle switch (middle position is off/stock) - since the EV-5 is plastic, it's super-easy to drill any holes needed!

montyrivers

Wow!  Thanks for the advice.  I have a good friend who is a wahwah pedal hero who would really like to hear this.

Radley

On one of my EV-5s, I replaced the 50k 'minimum level' pot (which I never used) with a 20k slope pot with a 5k resistor in series - this gives you a continuously adjustable slope which can be changed for different uses...  :)

Bill Ruppert

Radley

The 20k pot could also contain a switch so when the pot is turned all the way counterclockwise, the slope is totally disengaged.

davep2000

cool idea

I bought your harmonic converger when I used the GT-8 directly to PA Radley. Nice website btw  ;)

another option for the slope control using the VG-99 is to assign the 'wave pedal' triggered by the expression pedal (pg 68 and 156 of the VG-99 manual)

I've used multiple assigns on an FC-300 expression pedal for solo volume and delay level to increase at the rate of the pedal, but using the wave pedal, triggered by the expression pedal to slowly rise and lower the reverb level. It sounds nicer to my ears as the decay sounds more natural, rather than cutting back immediately 

Radley

Quote from: davep2000 on September 09, 2013, 03:41:15 AM
cool idea

I bought your harmonic converger when I used the GT-8 directly to PA Radley. Nice website btw  ;)

another option for the slope control using the VG-99 is to assign the 'wave pedal' triggered by the expression pedal (pg 68 and 156 of the VG-99 manual)

I've used multiple assigns on an FC-300 expression pedal for solo volume and delay level to increase at the rate of the pedal, but using the wave pedal, triggered by the expression pedal to slowly rise and lower the reverb level. It sounds nicer to my ears as the decay sounds more natural, rather than cutting back immediately

Great idea Dave - Me likey!