Antares ATG-1 DSP Guitar Modeler / Alt Tune / AutoTune

Started by Elantric, November 05, 2012, 10:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djidoe

Hello my friends,

I have less problems with my ATG-1 since I raise up the humidity of my studio. In Quebec we had a very cold winter and it was far too dry and static were a problem in my room.

Antares was and is yet very helpful and listen seriously to my problem (A Californian company who listen to a Quebec customer deserve all my respect).

I have a little problem with midi program changes and ANTARES will send me a new unit to test with SONAR.

The ATG-1 is really the piece of gear I was missing and sound quality is remarkable and tracking perfect.

Please don't hesitate to buy this fantastic product of a fantastic company.

Elantric

Djidoe,

Thanks for the update on your ATG-1 and info on your Antares post sale customer support expereince.

Majiken

Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

djidoe

Majiken

Here is my MIDI setup of how the band is wired

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6yuT2jTeK7xeDFjR1d5SU9ydlE&authuser=0

Sonar Platinum controls all patch changes and MIDI CC of the whole band...

In addition : Sonar (via a virtual midi driver) controls ARKAOS to send video on a projector...

Here is a link to a Van Halen song using the ATG-1 : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6yuT2jTeK7xYjBRVkxyZUh5eE0/view?usp=sharing

The Motu Micro Lite is a 5 port MIDI hub.

I want to add that the Pigtronix Looper is a very hot MIDI Looper

whippinpost91850

Vade

I like the setup and I'm glad to see someone else on the forum working with Sonar. Thanks for sharing the details; bonne chance!
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

vtgearhead

I've been spending a lot of time with my ATG-1 over the past week and am really enjoying it.  Currently driving it from my Fender/Roland GC-1, but am in the process of mounting a GK-3 on my PRS Soapbar SE.  I like the neck and scale length of the SE a lot more.

Annoyances have been of a minor nature: 

Sending a preset from the patch editor to the pedal seems to be an all-or-nothing operation that takes a number of seconds to complete and resets the string-tune in addition to updating all the patches.  I wish this were a more focused process that left other preset slots and tuning state alone. 

The Strat bridge+middle (aka "squank") modeling is not very convincing to my ears.  Admittedly this is a very subjective setting that features in more flame-wars than I care to count on the Line 6 forums. 

On the brilliant side:

Virtual capo is as close to seamless as I've ever heard.  No burbling, ghost notes or excessive latency.

Acoustic guitar sounds are gorgeous.  Much more realistic response to pick attack than the Line 6 instruments.  I can play normally without having to worry about keeping strumming light.  The 'Dreadnought' acoustic model with 12-string #1 doubling effect is to die for.  Antares clearly did their homework on this one!

Elantric

QuoteAcoustic guitar sounds are gorgeous.  Much more realistic response to pick attack than the Line 6 instruments.  I can play normally without having to worry about keeping strumming light.  The 'Dreadnought' acoustic model with 12-string #1 doubling effect is to die for.  Antares clearly did their homework on this one!

I share your thoughts on the ATG-1 Acoustic models

vtgearhead

First gig with Fender/Roland GC-1 and ATG-1 last evening.  The only problem I ran into is that the E and B strings sound very thin and "screamy" while soloing at high gain.  It's particular to those two strings, so backing off the treble on the amp tends to make the lower strings muddy.  This is consistent across a variety of models, including Les Paul / Humbucker combinations where it's particularly jarring.  Anyone have any suggestions for dealing with this issue?  Rhythm sounds, both acoustic guitar and Strat were just great - the entire band commented favorably.

I also have a wish-list item to bring forward to Antares:  It's nice that the firmware understands the Roland GK controls (up-down, volume).  It would be even better if the mag/both/synth switch actually put the mag signal straight through the pedal when not in synth-only position.  It is recognized logically to the point where mag-only mutes the output completely.  Doesn't seem like a real big step to bypass the ATG-1 processing and provide mag output as well.  Maybe I'm the only person who would find this useful, but I'm going to post it on their forum. 

Elantric

Snhirsch ,

What is your signal chain after the ATG-1

What is your Amp?

vtgearhead

Quote from: Elantric on April 26, 2015, 09:27:15 AM
What is your signal chain after the ATG-1

What is your Amp?

Boss A/B switch --> Boosta Grande "clean" boost (*)--> Vox Wah --> Fender Mustang III v2 combo amp

The A/B switch is used when I change back and forth between PRS and Roland guitars.

The Boosta Grande is set at unity gain and is there to mitigate against loading effects from the 25-feet of cable that runs to/from the Wah at my pedal board (this is really only a consideration for the PRS).  The Boosta and A/B switch are at the back line next to my guitar rack.   

Before you ask, I've tried bypassing the Boosta when running the ATG-1.  Makes no audible difference as expected.

vtgearhead

Steve, you mentioned that Fender Mustang modeling amps have headroom issues at the input preamp.  If you had to guess, how many dBu would the input need to be attenuated to bring things on par?  I'm wondering if this is clipping prior to the DSP subsytem.

Elantric

I bet that's your issue

Lower the global output level from the Antares until it matches the volume of a normal guitar feeding your Mustang Amp

It's true the Mustang DSP  Amps  inputs have a lower threshold to clipping, that will reach bad input A/D clipping distortion if you feed them a signal that's too hot.
Solo Booster pedals are a no-no with Mustang Amps.
Start with lowering output from ATG-1 by -6dB

vtgearhead

After padding the input by 6db, things seem much better.  The Fender Mustang has a bit too much analog input gain, apparently.  Another thing that seems to have helped is inserting a parametric EQ in the Send/Receive jacks and notching out a little bit around 2-3k.

Next time I have the amp apart, I'll look into the changing the feedback resistor in the analog preamp.  For now, a simple voltage divider built into a 1/4" jack is doing the trick.

Elantric

http://www.autotuneforguitar.com/media/artists.php

Thomas Nordegg modified Ibanez Guitar with Line-6 Wireless, Antares Autotune DSP, Fernandes Sustainer

Don Ramsay's Linear Tremolo
http://www.lineartremolo.com/
&  Shadow Hex PU for Antares DSP AutoTune / Guitar Modeling System
http://info.shadow-electronics.com/Product%20Catalog/Shadow%20Product%20Catalog%202010.pdf

Steve Vai, Guitar Legend

"The ATG Auto Tune System is unlike any other. It's intuitive to a players idiosyncrasies and offers stunning intonation within a vast amount of instant tuning potentials and variety of eclectic guitar modelings. It aids the player in walking that bridge to being tuned up, turned on and tapped into their infinite, unique creativity. It helps me to sound as good as some people think I am."

mbenigni

Wow, that is cool.

For a second I was thinking, "What?  How can it be a Jem without a locking Floyd tremolo?"  Then it occurred to me that would be redundant on a guitar with auto-tuning and intonation.

Elantric

Tony Raven

Quote from: Elantric on June 04, 2015, 10:57:57 AM
Shadow Hex PU for Antares DSP AutoTune / Guitar Modeling System
http://info.shadow-electronics.com/Product%20Catalog/Shadow%20Product%20Catalog%202010.pdf
When I finally got this to load, it's only 6.0 mb, yet it had locked my browser up twice, & a message bar says "This PDF document might not be displayed correctly" possibly because Acrobat Reader has changed a few times since 2010!! (It opens just fine in SumatraPDF.)

...and after all that, the only Shadow hex pickup I can find in it is the NanoFlex 6, an under-saddle piezo rig for flat-top acoustics. Is that really what's on Vai's guitar...?

...and even THAT seems to be long unavailable:
http://us.shadow-electronics.com/products/electric_guitar

vanceg

That Linear Tremolo is AMAZING.  Stunningly smooth and a real treat to play. I felt as if i could come (VAGUELY) close to that amazing control Vai has with pitch when using a tremolo (of course I'm fooling myself because I'm not even in any league close to Vai's control of ANYthing on the guitar...not even the damn volume knob...but you get my point:  It feels really accurate and controllable using this tremolo)

Elantric

Quote...and after all that, the only Shadow hex pickup I can find in it is the NanoFlex 6, an under-saddle piezo rig for flat-top acoustics. Is that really what's on Vai's guitar...?

This is the Antares (Shadow)Magnetic Hex PU, Antares sells them for their internal Luthier Kit

A curious debate on who has best DSP Guitar Modeling at Line 6 Forum

http://line6.com/support/topic/9837-my-new-jtv-69-has-bad-modeling/#entry108084

vtgearhead

Not so curious.  It's pretty much expected when you get a bunch of gear-head musicians together.  All subjective, of course.

djidoe

I just want to let you know that Antares has been really impressive for customer services about the bugs I had with the ATG-1.

The next firmware really improved the ATG-1, clearing the bugs I had with the unit.

Great communication with the crew and they were very helpful for listening and resolving the bugs.

I can now finally use the ATG-1 within its full potential.

A big thanks to Andy, Henrik and Marc !

MichiganMike

Reply to old post, I'm new to the ATG-1 Floor unit.

Auto-tuning is vital to me as I have 20+ songs across 7-9 open tunings. I don't have 7-9 guitars so there's a lot of tuning, even with two guitars. Adding more guitars is out of the question. The ATG-1 arrived yesterday and within 5 minutes it became an immediate game changer.

So in general, it depends on the context. For me it's a good thing.

Quote from: datsunrobbie on January 27, 2014, 01:04:31 PM
I'm still torn as to whether the auto-tuning is a good thing or not. Certainly good in that it is another effect that can be used to get the sounds in your head out to the world. I just hope that it does not have the same effect that autotune for vocals has had on so many recordings in recent years. There is something to be said for the occasional missed note, or the difference that playing a chord at different intervals can make. Being able to hear the click when switching from lead to rhythm on a Les Paul, or a note that's a little "off" because the player bent the string, are things that make recorded interesting. Sometimes "perfect" is TOO perfect.
Godin xtSA, 1978 Fender Telecaster, Martin XC1T, Gibson Dobro, Trailwood Acoustic Bass
TC-Helicon VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Antares ATG-1, Boss GP-10, BeatBuddy,  Focusrite, MOTU, FL-Studio Producer (all licenses)

whippinpost91850

Elantric, What do you think are the main advantage/disadvantages of the Floorpedal over the internal kit, seeing as it does not have MIDI.

Elantric

Same argument as to why buy a VG-99 over a Variax

The ATG-1 Floor unit is

* available to anyone

* works with multiple guitars

* offers Large legible LCD and foot switch /!Expression Pedal fast access to all modes for improvisation / spontaneity

The internal Antares DSP kit is:
* not for sale to individuals ( need to find an Antares Luthier or be approved as a Luthier and place a minimum order of multiple kits / installation jigs / router templates)

* Works with only one guitar

* typically ends up being far more expensive than the ATG-1 after you factor high cost of encoders / pots / installation fees

It's tempting to buy a used Peavey AT200 guitar in eBay , remove the Antares bits and install in your preferred instrument, but remember that had the early 1st generation DSP and less memory than the 2015 Antares internal Kiit , which shares same DSP as the ATG-1