GR-55S - Cable Included?

Started by ConstruKction, May 19, 2015, 05:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ConstruKction

Might seem as an incredibly dumb question, but I'm getting a GR-55S at the end of June. As far as I know, the GR-55S does not include the divided pickup. I'm going to order the GK kit instead, and mount it into my guitar permanently.

However, no website says whether the 13-pin GKC cable is included with either the GR-55S, or the GK kit.

Could anyone inform me on that matter? I'd like to get my order right.

Elantric

GR-55S = Roland GR-55 Blue (without the GK-3 pickup, without the 13 pin Cable)

Its not necessarily the best GR-55 purchase option

FWIW - We have a members only group buy that basically gives you the GK-3 and 13 pin cable free 
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2931.0

But I see you are in the EU and Customs/Shipping fees probably negate any savings

Many new GR-55 owners find the best options is buy the "GR-55GK" = complete bundle with GK-3 and 13 pin cable

Then sell the external GK-3 on Ebay for $150

FWIW
here is the GK-KIT GT-3 Internal kit for lowest cost on earth - Andertons' UK
http://www.andertons.co.uk/electric-guitar-pickups/pid12319/cid705/roland-gk3-internal-pickup-kit.asp

ConstruKction

Thank you for the information.

The group buy sounds interesting, but I live in Europe.
The international shipping is probably quite pricey, and the import tax is humongous in The Netherlands.

It's quite peculiar they do not provide you with a free GKC cable, as if the GR-55 was not expensive enough.

Or perhaps it's just me expecting too much.

Either way, thanks again!

EDIT: I see you've edited your response, I'll edit mine to prevent additional posts.

Quote from: Elantric on May 19, 2015, 05:23:19 PM
Many new GR-55 owners find the best options is buy the "GR-55GK" = complete bundle with GK-3 and 13 pin cable

Then sell the external GK-3 on Ebay for $150

FWIW
here is the GK-KIT GT-3 Internal kit for lowest cost on earth - Andertons' UK
http://www.andertons.co.uk/electric-guitar-pickups/pid12319/cid705/roland-gk3-internal-pickup-kit.asp

Hah! That seems like a very interesting option, I wouldn't have thought of that, thanks a lot, and for the link as well! I think I'll just do that, indeed.

Elantric

QuoteThe group buy sounds interesting, but I live in Europe.
The international shipping is probably quite pricey, and the import tax is humongous in The Netherlands.

Check message in  your Inbox - for a comparison

ConstruKction

Quote from: Elantric on May 19, 2015, 05:41:12 PM
Check message in  your Inbox - for a comparison

Probably not really worth the risk. A package shipped internationally may not qualify, and according to my calculations, the Dutch government would charge me about $150 to $200 in import taxes. There's no way a package this big would slip through the customs, already been through that stuff with my Fender imported from Japan.

I will most likely follow your suggestion of buying the synth bundle and selling the external GK3 pickup. Shipping the kit from the UK is free of import taxes, since that's still Europe.

But perhaps in the future, I'll be able to make use of the group buy, for smaller stuff.

Fusion

How about a vacation to the US and bring an empty suitcase?
"Long ago in days of old when magic filled the air..."

ConstruKction

Quote from: Fusion on May 20, 2015, 12:42:40 AM
How about a vacation to the US and bring an empty suitcase?

Marvelous idea. Added to my to-do list. :-)

Fusion

That's what my wife's relatives and friends do for each other. When one goes a trip home (Romania) they have an extra empty suitcase, they fill that with all sorts things anyone wants to send to their families as shipping is brutal on all counts. Sort of cool actually.
I wonder if someone could not personally ship something to you if the vendors cannot do it. I am sure there are other frightfully honest musician chaps besides me who would do that without fault. As long as the cost was workable from your end and handling the countries shipping details for receiving. In other words someone gets the unit and forwards it personal shipping overseas. Further packing could be done and water protection for the ride.
Anyway, just thinking...

gumtown

It doesn't matter how a GR-55 is sent (the vendor does ship international with prepaid customs duties),
a customs duty will 'always' get collected at the border on the value of the GR-55 for couriered packages.

Another issue with imported equipment, if it was not purchased from a distribution outlet in your country, it is not covered under warranty.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

CodeSmart

Also when buying from/within US you get a power adapter that wont not fit a European wall.
Of course you can update it, but adds additional cost/work. I recommend GKC-5 + GK-KIT from www.thomann.de for your GR55S.

Installing the GK-KIT us so much fun. Did it twice.
Lesson learnt from my Ibanez is to be aware where you put the 13-pin because you may get in trouble when placing the guitar in a stand when cable is connected. I have problems placing mine straight up ::) (and Im referring to my guitar ;-)
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

gumbo

Quote from: CodeSmart on May 21, 2015, 11:09:22 PM
I have problems placing mine straight up ::) (and Im referring to my guitar ;-)

Of course you were..   ::)
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

gumtown

Mine stands slightly skewed to the side   :P - so I don't crush the 13 pin plug.
Had to get an 'A' frame type stand as the 13 pin plug is in the way.
Might have to get one of those fancy neck supporting/suspending stands.

If using the GR-55 live, I recommend having a spare GK cable handy.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

whippinpost91850

I've only been using the hanging stands for about 20 yrs. I like the Hamilton, worth the little extra money

CodeSmart

Well, that's looking better than Gumtowns hanging, supporting neck stands  ;D

Kevin M

Quote from:  Mrchevy
I've used many guitar stands over the years but I find these work best. Notice how the body of the guitar sits firmly in the base and the neck is well supported. This stand adjusts to any "position" to accommodate many different guitars.

Not to be too PC, but remember that there are female members here who might find this type of stuff offensive.

Fusion

Then they should lighten up.
Beauty and hotness is a part of this world and society, anyone would like to look good and in this culture we look at it.

JolietJake

OK. To keep the status-quo and to even things up for all our female members, here is a sexy little number for all the girls out there.

ConstruKction

Quote from: CodeSmart on May 21, 2015, 11:09:22 PM
Also when buying from/within US you get a power adapter that wont not fit a European wall.
Of course you can update it, but adds additional cost/work. I recommend GKC-5 + GK-KIT from www.thomann.de for your GR55S.

Installing the GK-KIT us so much fun. Did it twice.
Lesson learnt from my Ibanez is to be aware where you put the 13-pin because you may get in trouble when placing the guitar in a stand when cable is connected. I have problems placing mine straight up ::) (and Im referring to my guitar ;-)

Where do you think would be the best position for the 13-pin on a Fender Mustang?

Fusion

Put it on your stand and look for the open area where it can be attached with the cable outward not interfering with anything. We tend to but them on the back of the bridge and sometimes that is in the way of the stand. A million stands out there, get a side leaner and no problem.

Fusion

Quote from:  Mrchevy
I'm to old to be politically correct, and while it is never my intention to offend people, ( because I'm really not that kind of person), I'm sure I have at one point or another in my lifetime. Do I loose sleep over it, absolutely not, and I don't apologize for it. That being said, I will apologize for not thinking of our female members and add the opposite edition. Of course if these type guitar stands don't appeal to either, then they are free to use the plethora of other style guitar stands OR, take up the Tuba. Incidentally, if I was a little over wound, i might be offended by the fact that when you enter a search for "hot guy holding guitar" vs "hot girl holding guitar", you get either guys "playing a guitar", which is not the purpose of a stand, or, they are nude behind the guitar ( which is Not appropriate for the forum, or, they are not "hot." I also do not feel I am qualified to judge what a hot guy looks like because it is not my thing. Although I have been told I look pretty hot in this picture buy some female friends.  8)  Now, what was the original post about, oh yea, "cable included"?

I cannot imagine why anyone would be offended by a hot girl looking rather modelly, guitar or no. For the few if any so afflicted that is your problem? The world does not revolve on the needs and wants of the few. Should we live in a bland, back and white TC 50's sitcom, to keep from admiring beauty? I mean did anyone post a pic of a naked chick with the guitar wedged??? I think not.

CodeSmart

Quote from: ConstruKction on May 23, 2015, 03:27:41 PM
Where do you think would be the best position for the 13-pin on a Fender Mustang?
It looks a bit more tricky than a Strat but I think it will get to you naturally when you have the size/height of the Kit board, connector cable length and disassembled guitar with cavities exposed all in front of you on the surgery table. I don't know how a Mustang looks like underneath the pickguard and metal plate. Probably put the GK following the direction of the metal plate close to the 1/4" jack. Might be able to place the board underneath the pots (if widening the cavity.) Be sure to mask everything with tape, rest body on soft cloths and you need a Dremel tool with sandpaper rolls. I would probably try to fabricate a new metal plate so three pots (with same knobs) would fit at even distance and put the GK-SEL switch and S1/S2 buttons at the reach if your fingertips somewhere on the pickguard. Remember that Roland's S1/S2 buttons require pretty big holes and that the holes need to be exact size otherwise the button will fall into the guitar. The S1/S2 switches can be replaced by a single feddered switch (on)-off-(on).
Center connection (of the 3 terminals) of the switch to Ground, and the other (outer) to S1 and S2 wires respectively.

Furthermore check if the Hex pup can be placed onto the pickguard without having to tweak neck angle with shimming, or consider making a cut-out in pickguard to have the hex pup at wood level.

Good luck, take your time , it's fun  :D
/Robert